• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Badger Ordnance Ring Delema

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
I got my scope mounted at a local shop about a week ago and I took it out to look at it to make sure its all in order for my shooting trip next weekend. Something seems out of place and I notice the guy put my scope rings on backwards (3 lug in back 2 in front). They are the Badger Ordnance M40A3 30mm w/ 1 inch inserts and i was told the inserts were made of soft metal and once put on they couldn't be taken off and re mounted..

This true and will they be able to take them off and remount them with out any problems down the road due to it already being mounted and taken off?? Or will they have to replace the inserts?

I'm just asking so they don't swap them and say ok here ya go and i get scope movement due to it not being snug and tight from them being re mounted.. So they don't have to replace my inserts and take the easy way out or is putting them back on with the inserts is not problem.

Re: Badger Ordnance Ring Delema

I really doubt you can't remount them. THat would be pretty fkin stupid if they made disposable inserts

If your gunsmith told you that you could not reuse the rings I would not go back...probably wouldn't anyway since they mounted them backwards. Check to see if they lapped the rings as well (they DO NOT need to lap the rings as they are line bored in production).

Pat

I went back and they re mounted it "the right way" this time but the seasoned smith was helping a customer so I got a younger kid and he took me into the back where I watched him re-mount it and the kid didn't know what he was doing. AT ALL.. but talked like hes been a gun pro his whole life..

For one he screwed the screws all of the left side then all of the right..Not the criss-cross pattern like you are supposed to and wondered why the reticle never lined up when he torqued them. Then he went on trying to tell me hes never in his life seen the 3 bolt go in front while the 2 bolt goes in back..

I didn't want to say anything and tell a man how to do his job but that's the last time I go back in to have work done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roktoys84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just swap them yourself. If you can't figure out how to do that Badger has instruction on their website. It's really not hard. </div></div>

Unless you have a torque wrench Id highly recommend not doing them your self. Which I do not have nor a sighting kit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check to see if they lapped the rings as well (they DO NOT need to lap the rings as they are line bored in production).

Pat </div></div>

Thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check to see if they lapped the rings as well (they DO NOT need to lap the rings as they are line bored in production).

Pat </div></div>

Thank you! </div></div>

Yea I asked him if he did it the first time. And he pulled out the bore sighting kit and was says yea I always do.
I just shook my head and explained and he said oh no i don't believe in doing that. So no he didn't.. thank god..
Still a stupid answer but at least he didn't jack up my rings.

not trying to be a dick but ring mounting and minor shit like that you should really do yourself. buy a torque wrench and the few other necessary tools to maintain your own equipment. do you have autozone put your wiper blades on?

Do you have $200 you wanna give me?
So I can go out and buy a kit ill use once??

I dont have $200+ to just throw on a kit. I dont think I have the need for a kit right now especially when the base & scope mount, bore sight, and alignment was free..

Or else yea I would do it my self.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have $200 you wanna give me?
So I can go out and buy a kit ill use once??

I dont have $200+ to just throw on a kit. I dont think I have the need for a kit right now especially when the base & scope mount, bore sight, and alignment was free..

Or else yea I would do it my self. </div></div>

what kind of "kit" are you after?

If you don't want to drop any dough on a torque wrench, just finger tighten the cap screws in with the long end of the key. To bore sight, pop the bolt out and take a looksie thru the barrel at a distant object, like a flower pot or something. Then dial your scope until the reticle is centered on what you see thru your barrel. I've been doing it this way for years. But seriously, I would think about getting a 15 in-lb torque t handle at the very least. It will save you lots of ring marks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what kind of "kit" are you after? </div></div>

Just a general one.. Every decent torque wrench iv looked at is easily around $100 it self not to mention the tips and extra goodies for a basic set up. (lock-tight, degreasers, levelers, ect.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't want to drop any dough on a torque wrench, just finger tighten the cap screws in with the long end of the key. To bore sight, pop the bolt out and take a looksie thru the barrel at a distant object, like a flower pot or something. Then dial your scope until the reticle is centered on what you see thru your barrel. I've been doing it this way for years. But seriously, I would think about getting a 15 in-lb torque t handle at the very least. It will save you lots of ring marks. </div></div>

I would like to get one but its just not needed as of yet.
I only have one precision rifle as of yet and i don't think id use it enough to get the full use of what I'm paying for one..

I've never heard of that technique but it sounds interesting to try..

Give it a try. It works like a charm, and costs absolutely nothing. I only use a bore sighter for my m1a and my AR's, if I am too lazy to disassemble them to look down the pipe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sniper's Hide - for those seriously outwitted by a handful of screws and two nuts. </div></div>

In that a bolt is used with a nut, technically speaking would it not be <span style="color: #FF0000"> Sniper's Hide - for those seriously outwitted by a handful of screws, two bolts and two nuts.</span> ?

We will let it pass in that you are not a Mechanical Engineer.....
laugh.gif

Just sayin....

Just get a cheapo F.A.T wrench, comes with the tips and extra goodies you speak up. Finding a true surface I like using neighbors windows, or hanging a plumb bob etc. is all in the optics DIY thread. You'll find that you use the fat all the time, checking torque on your stocks, rings, all that shit. Jesus, why do people make such simple shit so complicated nowadays?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sniper's Hide - for those seriously outwitted by a handful of screws and two nuts. </div></div>

In that a bolt is used with a nut, technically speaking would it not be <span style="color: #FF0000"> Sniper's Hide - for those seriously outwitted by a handful of screws, two bolts and two nuts.</span> ?

We will let it pass in that you are not a Mechanical Engineer.....
laugh.gif

Just sayin.... </div></div>

blush.gif

$150.00 at Brownells for a torque driver. and its fully adjustable. It will outlast you and your shooting habit. Stop moaning about other peoples shitty work, take it into your own hands and get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.