Bakelite AK mags (47 or 74 not sure)

db2000

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 27, 2020
    Hey, trying to help a buddy out with a box of these Bakelite mags. Seems they are for his AK 47 or 74. Not sure what the numbers are, maybe the mold number. Also, country of origin. Any info appreciated. 🍻
    0A5470D1-B566-4884-A09B-F5D1A80007AF.jpeg
    053617D0-E453-4CAE-B6A6-7F36C70DD007.jpeg
    4FF53980-A8D9-4428-9C29-BB39BE1E0279.jpeg

If you flip them over, there may be a factory mark. Russian bakelites will have a triangle with an arrow or a star. East German bakelites didn't have any factory symbols IIRC (but did have mold numbers). If you take a picture of them from above, I could tell you whether or not they are 5.45 or 7.62. The 7.62s are more dramatically curved. Also check the locking tabs. Pakistanis up in the mountains made facsimiles but made a lot of the locking tabs out of brass, oddly enough.

Regardless, anything bakelite is premium. A whole box is worth a good bit o coin

If you flip them over, there may be a factory mark. Russian bakelites will have a triangle with an arrow or a star. East German bakelites didn't have any factory symbols IIRC (but did have mold numbers). If you take a picture of them from above, I could tell you whether or not they are 5.45 or 7.62. The 7.62s are more dramatically curved. Also check the locking tabs. Pakistanis up in the mountains made facsimiles but made a lot of the locking tabs out of brass, oddly enough.

Regardless, anything bakelite is premium. A whole box is worth a good bit o coin
    17CC0A03-CA07-475E-A95C-BD97B92A0BBD.jpeg
    7BDA693A-4465-4CC2-9792-20AAE7A15E6B.jpeg
    No markings

I appreciate the info and want to be clear I’m not trying to sell these outside the PX even though I’m a supporter. 🍻

Really outstanding article.

Isn’t that plastic the same thing they made Trabant out of that ended up so toxic that they had to build a special plant to dismantle them?

The east German Trabbies turned out to be basically rolling super fund sites. Which is why there aren’t many left. And I wonder if that’s the same plastic. Not Bakelite but a really toxic Eastern European counterpart.

Cheers, Sirhr

• Wow
    Reactions: db2000
    They are 5.45 mags Ak74

Your pictures suck though. You don’t even show the whole mag in one photo. I had to identify the mags by looking at the ones that happened to be in the background. Good grief. Lol

They are 5.45 mags Ak74

Your pictures suck though. You don’t even show the whole mag in one photo. I had to identify the mags by looking at the ones that happened to be in the background. Good grief. Lol
    Relax. I’m sending what I’m given. Jebezzus
    Appreciate the help though. I think we got the answer multiple times without the whole pic, but if you need it to get off
    104A099D-962B-4634-AF69-908C3B7398D9.jpeg

Those Tantals were an unfortunate batch. The Tantal itself is kinda special and cool but Century ruined most of the ones they put out by putting 5.56 barrels in them, from what I've read