BAR MARK III 30-06 -- what should i expect at 200 yds?

Adirondackgold

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2020
NY
I decided late this summer to start shooting again (did as a kid, a lot, though not formal). In late October i got a BMR Mark III, 30-06 (Got a fondness for that caliber from my Dad long ago.) Set up a two hundred yard range in my backyard and have been shooting a bit. Nice to live in the woods.

Got maybe 150 rounds in with a good scope. Four and a half to five inch (5-shot) groups at 200. Not very good for prone and a poorly mounted bipod -- but consistently the same.

No doubt most of it is me, but given the consistency, some may be the gun/ammo-selection. Wish I could get access to ammo to try different rounds in the BMR --- as I know some guns like some, not others; and at 200 yards that can open you up a bit. Am using Winchester Super-X 30-06 Springfield Ammo 125 Grain Jacketed Soft Point if you have suggestions.

The 125 is what I could get, and I am not a fan of recoil (plus the 125 is deer good to 400 yards, way more than you could ever even see here let alone shoot).

But what should I expect?

Never had formal training, but I go back. Spent summers in the sixties until I was a teen shooting my dad's beer cans as they floated down the creek. He drank a lot. Got to where I didn't miss too often. Even using a right handed bolt action 22 and the most awkward lefty reach over technique to chamber each new round. Now if only I could find a creek and someone who really likes beer, and I could get my skills back.

And in the meantime, I just ordered the Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor. Never had a lefty bolt action and I am looking forward to it. But want more out of the BMR.

Last edited:
In simpler times, you’d buy a few different boxes of ammo and find what the gun likes. One of my hunting buddies in FL has been shooting a BAR for probably 20 years plus, he has one load the gun likes and his freezer is stocked every fall.
I believe it is a 180gr nosler accubond from federal.