• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Barrel out of spec? Origin shouldered to savage style.

DTF370

Smartest D Student
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey guys, I am piecing together a beater on a Solus action. I do have an origin shouldered prefit that is perfect. Today I picked up a rainier arms 8.6 blackout savage small shank match barrel. As I screw the barrel into the action I make less than 1/2 rotation before it becomes overly tight, almost like it’s wanting to cross thread. This being said, I am positive I am not cross threading. I can feel the threads properly in the thread channels. Any ideas how else to troubleshoot this specific problem?

Attachments

• IMG_4639.jpeg
    IMG_4639.jpeg
    586.6 KB · Views: 56
Verify both threads are clean and use grease. If it still threads together and feels sticky, stop and call barrel manufacturer. Do you have the barrel nut that comes with the solus, maybe try screwing it on the rainier barrel.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
To me it looks like the starting thread is rolled a little. I'm guessing u don't have access to a thread file. Take a small tri angle file and clean that thread. Then maybe take a silver sharpie and cover the thread and see where it's wearing away. Your doing right by not forcing it, it should spin free but snug if that makes sense.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240628_183524_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240628_183524_Chrome.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 34
I have saw some savage prefit barrels that were threaded closer to the max side of tenon thread spec. They're fine on savage action bit when attempting to scree into an origin, nuke or possibly solus, that becomes an issue.

Screw the barrel nut off of the Rainier barrel, note if it's tight on that last thread as it screws off. Assuming it comes off smoothly, flip it around and see if it will screw onto your shouldered barrel. Quick easy way to assure that the threads match.

If you have a set of calipers......even cheapie ones......you can get basic measurements (major thread diameter and even an imaginary datum in the thread "V" that is just a comparable measurement to the other barrel's threads in the same place......so long as the caliper jaws have enough edge taper to get into the V shape.

Sounds like it could be the thread start like mentioned above. Otherwise if it gets tight with only a half turn.....those threads need another couple thou off the thread pitch diameter. If memory serves me correct the max ASME thread pitch diameter is 1.0300" on 1-1/16-20 class 3

Ern

I did make sure threads are right with the nut on both barrels. Everything seems kosher there. Pulling the nut off the rainier, there is a TINY amount of drag on the last bit of thread. By tiny, I mean I have to concentrate to actually feel it. I did clean both sets of threads with nothing changing.

I don’t disagree with a possible rolled thread.

Reactions: AllenOne1
If you have a set of calipers......even cheapie ones......you can get basic measurements (major thread diameter and even an imaginary datum in the thread "V" that is just a comparable measurement to the other barrel's threads in the same place......so long as the caliper jaws have enough edge taper to get into the V shape.

Sounds like it could be the thread start like mentioned above. Otherwise if it gets tight with only a half turn.....those threads need another couple thou off the thread pitch diameter. If memory serves me correct the max ASME thread pitch diameter is 1.0300" on 1-1/16-20 class 3

Ern
If it requires a couple thousandths to come off, I assume the only real way to do that is with a lathe? Probably just needs to go back to Rainer id assume.