Rifle Scopes Barrett 99 50bmg

unastamus116

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
minnesota
I have been getting into long range shooting for the past few years using a remington 700 .308 sps tactical. I really like it but have dream to step up to a 50 bmg.

Looking at building a Barrett M99 to shoot out to 1000 yds. Two questions.

1.) scope recommendations
2.) the barrett rings are around $200. Do I need those to stand up to the recoil of the 50 or could I go with another manufacture?

Re: Barrett 99 50bmg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: unastamus116</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been getting into long range shooting for the past few years using a remington 700 .308 sps tactical. I really like it but have dream to step up to a 50 bmg.

Looking at building a Barrett M99 to shoot out to 1000 yds. Two questions.

1.) scope recommendations
2.) the barrett rings are around $200. Do I need those to stand up to the recoil of the 50 or could I go with another manufacture?

</div></div>

you can go with a diffrent manufactor, but dont buy cheap. for instance uso rings would be fine but they dont cost any less

I have a M99 and I'm running a SWFA SS 20X on it in Barrett rings. Only doing the Barrett rings because they came with the rifle. I think the Badger Ordnance Max 50 rings would be a good second choice but I don't believe they're any cheaper.

If I had the cash flow I'd go with a Leupold Mark 4 or Nightforce scope in the 5-20X range. At $300 the SWFA is a good option to start with. I've had zero problems. A 16X model may be a touch better and honestly you'd probably be o.k. with the 10X as well. Big reason for the variables on the line is the ability to turn 'em down if the mirage is up.

All in all I'm totally satisfied with the SWFA scope. I've considered getting a second one as a back up. Have yet to do that but I have a 10X on another rifle that I could take off in a hurry if need be.

I had a Barrett M99 with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-16x50. I was told that I should not have chosen that scope as the reticle was not etched onto the glass because it would break the crosshairs in under 20 shots. It didn't and I actually ran into someone at my local range who was shooting an M82A1 with the same scope and reported over 400 rounds down range without a problem.

I too had the Barrett Zero Gap rings and was very happy with them. Due to the high amount of recoil even with the brake, I would choose high end rings that are specifically rated and designed for 50 BMG.

I just recently purchased a Viper Vortex FFP 6-24x50. I'm very happy with this scope and would recommend it to anyone looking for a lot of return on investment. It has an etched reticle as many will recommend for the 50's.

I have Barrett M99A1 and running a NF 3.5-15x50 on it with Millet Rings
smile.gif
No issues so far after 20 rounds.

My Rings of choice are Burris, but did not have time to mail order and no one sells them locally. The Millet Rings are basically the same thing though.

I am not a big believer in high dollar rings, to me they do nothing more than the Burris rings.

I have a Barret M99(the one with out the monopod which ever one that is) and I run a SS 16 power with Badger 50 rings. They are steel and have 6 screws per ring holding the scope.

I like the setup, but that may just be me....

I have a 99 50 bmg with Leupold 6.5-20x50 sittin in the barrett zero gap rings some of the best rings ive ever used they hold like a rock and ull find with ur m99 as long as it has the new muzzle break doesnt have enough recoil to hurt any scope that would be recomended for ur standard 30-06. My m99 is more pleasant to shoot than my 300 with out a break 4 sure. Id go with the Barrett rings and either a Leupold or nightforce scope at least a 20x variable power for when u decide to push the rifle to its potential.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cjshooter88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice setup mine has the incline but how do u like the x rings im gona need them out past much more than 1500 yds </div></div>

No complaints. They are well made and every bit the quality of the Badger Ordnance rings I normally use on my rifles.