Bartlein Heavy Varmint vs Bartlein M24/M40

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
Looking for any pictures that are out there of either barrel contour. Wanting to build the new 300 PRC for mostly prone and benchrest (the occasional set up and shoot at deer, but I have plenty of deer rifles lol ) not interested in any other contour as this rifle being heavy has 0 effect on my decision making. Going with 26" but that is also debatable. Let's see em guys!!

I have a M24 on my trainer 223 it works great stays cool and is a about lb lighter. I have a hv on my 6xc it is heavy and I don’t really like the taper about 1lb 1.5 heavier than the M24. I have the MTU on my 6.5 creedmoor I like it the best it’s about the same weight as the HV but I like the taper better could be because it’s on a tikka Action so starts out smaller. MTU pics

Attachments

• F38CEEE2-5B03-4CDA-9D79-1CA58B548371.jpeg
    F38CEEE2-5B03-4CDA-9D79-1CA58B548371.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 676
  • 6A7EEAF1-1EB3-4203-AB5C-E3E47481108D.jpeg
    6A7EEAF1-1EB3-4203-AB5C-E3E47481108D.jpeg
    755.5 KB · Views: 1,150
The first time I got a heavy barrel, I ordered a long Heavy Varmint. I had the gunsmith cut off 3" on the chamber end to start and finish at 26". As it turns out that is basically a MTU.

The HV and MTU are pretty much identical except for the cylinder portion as stated above. I’ve had more than one smith tell me this as conformation.

I actually love the MTU contour personally. The only time I really didn’t care for a MTU was when i decided to artsy it around for a few hours in the field. That situation was quickly resolved by placing it back in the truck and going home.

I’m a little guy too and still haven’t learned my lesson as my last build still had a MTU contour.

Looking for any pictures that are out there of either barrel contour. Wanting to build the new 300 PRC for mostly prone and benchrest (the occasional set up and shoot at deer, but I have plenty of deer rifles lol ) not interested in any other contour as this rifle being heavy has 0 effect on my decision making. Going with 26" but that is also debatable. Let's see em guys!!
contour dims.JPG

Reactions: Cookieman8
The biggest difference between the HV and M24 is the breech dia and blank length
If there was an M24 and HV of the same length side by side on the table you wouldn't be able to tell the difference without calipers
Listen to this ^^^. plus an HV will add over a lb of weight, if you plan on using a front rest(BR), the added weight will reduce muzzle hop.

Reactions: Cookieman8
All nearly the same.

Shank diameter on the mtu and HV will be 1.25 vs 1.20 for the m24.

Shank diameter on the HV is much longer than the other two (maintains the 1.25" diameter before it starts to taper for a longer time).

If you take a HV and cut the shank length down to MTU dimensions, they are pretty much the same barrel. I would pick whichever you can get your hands on quickest and cheapest.

Weight will go heaviest to lightest:
HV
MTU
M24

All nearly the same.

Shank diameter on the mtu and HV will be 1.25 vs 1.20 for the m24.

Shank diameter on the HV is much longer than the other two (maintains the 1.25" diameter before it starts to taper for a longer time).

If you take a HV and cut the shank length down to MTU dimensions, they are pretty much the same barrel. I would pick whichever you can get your hands on quickest and cheapest.

Weight will go heaviest to lightest:
HV
MTU
M24
Thank you very much for your help!!! After reading that I think the MTU will be the one. Also, thanks everyone for your help.
Next step, finding one lol