• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Be easy, I'm the FNG here,,, Remington 700 .308

Jaeger_308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
Indiana
I'm wanting to have a rifle built, I'll have around $2000, not counting the scope... I'm wanting something with 20" barrel and after that, I'm really need some suggestions guys....

Re: Be easy, I'm the FNG here,,, Remington 700 .308

The more details you can give about expected use (hunting, TAC matches, plinking, benchrest, F-class, steel at long range, etc) and max range it will be shot normally.... the better you can spec out a rifle.

Gotta understand the job before you buy the tools......

Good point.. .Something in .308, It'll be for casual shooting on my property,,, I have a range out to 800 yards.... I've seen some GAP builds that i like, so that isn't out as an option... I do like the Remington LTR but wanting something a better than bone stock...

How much is your scope budget? Do you want something portable and light like for a truck gun or will you be shooting mostly prone and bench at fixed targets?

You can find a rem 700 sps tactical in 308 with a 20" barrel for around 6-700 and that'll leave you 13-1400 for a scope enough for a nice Leupold or a USO fixed 10X either cope will more than suffice to 800m and you can never be wrong till the bug bite you and you increase you taste

I'm a noob also. A thing I've learned from cars is to start with an all original, time proven machine and modify the areas which YOU feel need improvement. You'll end up with the most satisfying and personalized product.

At the moment I'm waiting for the SWFA 10x42 and rings to arrive, which will be mounted on my Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .308. Although the SWFA isn't that old a product it has good reviews. The Rem 700 has by far stood the test of time, and the reason I bought .308 is ammo options. Tons of them!

The SPS makes a great project gun. You can start off with the basic rifle, now in two versions so think about a few things.
If you want to shoot past 800 yards, the new SPS T SD may be better. It will let you shoot the heavier bullets out farther.
If you want to shoot subsonic with a can, the new one may be better. The rifling will let you shoot those without so much worry for baffle strikes. It also come with a threaded muzzle, so that's one step you won't have to worry about.

I started with a plain SPS T. That ran about $650 out the door once I found one. I put an SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP on it, which was about $600. Horus is supposed to be a good scope, and there are a few other offerings that you can get in for under $1K. I put the glass in Badger rings, on a Badger base. That was a little over $200. I went with those because they are incredibly well-fit and matched the receiver perfectly. No need to do anything else. The TPS and EGW are very good options, and cost less. With that, you're pretty much set. That's where I was here:

m700spst.jpg

I then decided that loading it through the port with a full-length one piece rail was a bit of a PITA, and it would be nice to just remove and insert loaded mags at will. So I decided on the CDI DBM kit, which was about $200 installed and shipped, plus another $80 for 10 round mags. I also decided that I really wanted to change the stock, and I found a never used take off LTR stock for $150 on the Hide.
I also decided that I would like to have a large bolt knob, just for better ergonomics and also because my thumb was jamming into the occular bell. I got a Badger knob for something like $30. While I was doing that, I thought I might like to put a can on one day, and I also would feel better dragging a rifle around with some kind of muzzle protection, so I ordered an SEI 7.62 Vortex for about $70. I then had microsuck1 thread the barrel and install the knob. I think that was around $100, but I really don't remember.
That got me to where I am now:

SPSTright.jpg

The great thing about the SPS T is that you can put as much or as little into it as you want. It is a great rifle value out of the box, and depending on how much money and work you want to put into it, it can be greatly improved.

The cool thing about starting with the SPS is that you can upgrade along and along when you feel the need for maybe Seekins rings or base or an AICS or Mcmillan stock. My point is that you won't feel such an abrubt pain in the wallet and you'll have a blast doing it.

Oh yeah, it's nice having project guns. Not as hard a hit on your wallet, and everytime you get a new upgrade you'll be a little bit more excited!

....But then of course you'll want to buy a GAP and upon receiving it will **** your pants.

I'm looking at $2000 to spend without the Glass... I just sold a Ted Yost Colt Commander and waiting for the funds to arrive... I've been a Poodle Shooter Armorer for years, just getting bored with the AR platform.... I may go with another can for it, so that's an option I'd like to keep in mind...

Another vote for the Remington SPS-Tactical in 308. Your $2000 budget just isn't enough to get you a full-blown custom rifle, but it is more than enough to get an SPS-T and start customizing. Like most, I'd recommend throwing away the Hogue stock, tweaking or upgrading the trigger, and bedding the action at a minimum. After that, optimize your load, either factory or hand-load. You'll be surprised how well it shoots. Down the road, you can then send it to GAP or elsewhere for an overhaul if you feel you need more accuracy, want a different caliber, or just need to spend that extra money you've been saving!

As an example, below is my SPS-T. I bedded the action in a Bell and Carlson stock, polished the trigger, and tuned a 175g SMK with Varget powder. I couldn't be happier with the results, and it is certainly far from a bone-stock rifle at this point. After I burn up this barrel, I'll be sending it to a reputable 'smith for a new one and some action truing. I'll most likely get an 18" barrel with faster twist. I'd love to experiment with the 208g A-max instead of the 175g SMKs I'm shooting now.

<span style="font-style: italic">(bed that action, or pay to have it done)</span>
Picture002.jpg

(<span style="font-style: italic">I lowered the pressure on the trigger spring, and polished the sear. It's down to 2lbs, 3ounces</span>)
Xmarkadjustabletriggercaption.jpg

(<span style="font-style: italic">B&C Light Tactical, 2-piece 20MOA Nightforce base, TPS ultra-low rings, 4-16x50mm Vortex PST</span>)
Picture002-1.jpg

(<span style="font-style: italic">5-shot, 100 meters groups during the final load testing with 175g SMKs</span>)
Picture035.jpg

I'd concur with the SPS reccomendations above, with the stock change, quality rings & base, and put the rest of the budget into reloading gear if you are not already set-up to roll your own.... If you are already a reloader, put the rest into your glass budget... as the scope investment rarely doesn't pay dividends! GL!

2028953a.jpg

c967e7c1.jpg

Here is an example of having fun. The one in the rear is a Remington Sendero 300wm. I've been playing with it over the last 3 years or so.
1. Bed the action in the original stock. Leupy scope, rings and base then.
2. Decided I wanted Seekins base.
3. Got an itch for a AICS. Adam B hooked me up.
4. To much creep in the trigger. Rusty anyway. Picked up a Jewel.
5. Group buy on Rock bipods.
6. I want a USO. Love the Seekins base and they make 34mm rings so let's get some.
7. Roedale muzzle brake group buy at a great price.
Not sure what I'll do next but I'll keep reading in the mean time for ideas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HEMI Driver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever consider the R700 5R? I'm also in the market and from what I've read and been told thus far the 5R might be a better option than the SPS. </div></div>

My opinion is no. I have no interest in the longer 24" barrel, and that HS-Precision stock is uncomfortable to me. It didn't seem worth twice the price. The beauty of the SPS-T is that it is cheap enough to tear apart and rebuild <span style="font-style: italic">exactly</span> the way you want it.

The one I would have gotten instead (had it been available) is the newest SPS-T with 20" threaded barrel and faster twist barrel. You'd still need to throw away the Hogue stock, but the threaded barrel is ready to accept a suppressor or flash hider, and the 1/10" twist will shoot the 200 grainers.

Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD

You might also consider the not-quite-yet available semi-custom SPS-T that seems to be a collaboration between Remington and Advanced Armament Corp. It still uses that uncomfortable HS-Precision stock, but has some nice upgrades including oversized bolt-knob, premium metal finish, Picatinny rail, trigger upgrade, and premium barrel.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1841106&page=1

i see you guys havent mentioned savage at all. i bought my savage used on here for 575 with a match barrel, new stock, sss recoil lug, and trigger, and a few other upgrades. i used it for years and it shot moa or better. plenty of options available for them now. also they are great shooters right out of the match, equal to or better than most rem700s.

Savages have become good rifles, and they are far better able to be modified/improved than previously. They started sneaking in back in the 90s and have been improving.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(<span style="font-style: italic">5-shot, 100 meters groups during the final load testing with 175g SMKs</span>)
Picture035.jpg

</div></div>

Nice shooting! What are your load details?

honestly if you have $2k right now to spend on a rifle just watch the classifieds their have been some screaming deals lately. remeber if the barrel is the wrong length that is an easy fix for any smith, most smiths wil cut and thread your barrel for suppresor for $150 or under. buy a used proven shooter and spend your time practicing and not changing something every few months. it has taken me years to figure out that you are much better off starting with a good system and just getting really used to it rather than modifying all the time.

check this out http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1917981#Post1917981

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nice shooting! What are your load details? </div></div>

Thanks, but I couldn't have done with out Newberry's OCW method.

You'll have to wade through the side conversation, but it's all here;

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1164