• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

beanfield long range 30-06? 300wm??????

91xlt

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2007
Phila., PA
tossing thoughts of a beanfield longrange hunting rifle...
30-06 preferebly...or a 300wm.

going with a sendero contour 11.25 twist.

thinking that this should do right for 165-200 grain pills.

please give thoughts, advice, and or criticism...not totally keen on the twist rates, contour as alot here.

Re: beanfield long range 30-06? 300wm??????

Having hunted soybean fields all my life, I'll give you my 2 cents. First,what ranges are you comfortable in shooting. 100-200 yards even 300 the 30-06 will be fine. The further you go out the Mag will start to shine.I grew up hunting bean fields that where 1500 yards to 3000 yards long. I've killed deer out to ranges I didnt need to be shooting at a live animal.Respect what your hunting, practice at ranges you want to shoot,know your limitations.Biggest thing people overlook on beanfield rifles is your glass. Very important!!! Cant hit what you cant see. Don't skimp on your glass.Luminated reticals are great in these situations. I could go on but don't want to bore everyone.

keep going...just the type of info i am in search of.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not a .284 bore diameter?? Maybe a 7mm Remington with 162gr Hornady A Max bullets?? </div></div>

'cause i already have a bbl...lol
laugh.gif

Since you have the barrel I would definitely go with a 300. I would have reccomended a 7mm also but. the 300 WM is one of the best cartridges around IMHO. I have 3 and I hunt everything with them. you can load em up and shoot 220 bullets or load em down and run 180 or 150 at tremendous speeds. I personally run the 190 VLD hunting bullet out of mine.

My first rifle was an ak-47 good for hunting under 100 yards.
Good for hogs bad for deer. So I just bought a new rem 700 30-06 and personally I LOVE it. Can't wait till deer season to start
smile.gif

I never shoot a 300 before. But I do agree that a good SCOPE is key. I got a Bushnell 3-10x40 with rainguard and firefly scope. Which I got alittle more power now. LoL that what happens when you get old.
laugh.gif
I should have got up to 15 to see the bulleye at 100 yard. Hope I not talk to much
lol hope I helped

If you don't have the barrel yet, I'd go with a 1/10 twist personally. It will stabilize the heavier bullets better. Having said that if you already have the barrel, the 1/11.25 should do ok up to 200gr bullets.

I'm a fan of the .30-06. I think it has a bit better barrel life if you're going to be shooting alot (which I would assume you would be if you're going to get proficient at shooting longrange), and you can still reach out to some good distances to hunt the <span style="font-weight: bold">proper game</span>. However, it does have it's limitations.

The question of what range your comfortable with needs to be coupled with what bullet you're planning on using.

For example: a 210 berger has a minimum impact velocity of around 1800fps. A a .30-06 pushing the 210 berger at a speed of around 2700fps will have the bullet at around 1800fps somwhere between 500-600 yards. Maybe a little further, but not much.

Further than that you may not have reliable expansion on the bullet.

The 208 Amax has a minimum expansion velocity of around 1500fps. This will extend your range a little bit further with .30-06 to about 800 yards or so, maybe a little further. However, the 208 amax has a really thin jacket and supposedly is ok for medium thin skin game. Bone shots and game with thick skin really isn't an option for this bullet, at least not that I've seen.

If you're planing on shooting beyond those distances,or game bigger than deer or caribou then your .300 win mag is going to be the better choice. It simply can push heavier bullets faster than the .30-06.

You could use lighter bullets, but the heavies will buck the wind better and retain better down range energy.

Just remember, taking a long shot means you have to go that far and beyond to find it an bring it home
smile.gif

Optics..that's a whole thread in and of it self.

just my opinion...

The 30/06 will serve you well for deer way past 300 yds. I have one just finished that I set up for distance and I ended up opting for 175-185 Bergers. It is a good betweener for the .308 and the 300 mag. It is superior in every way to the .308 and approaches the 300 mag with large bullets. I would say at all reasonable distances for hunting it is a do all rifle caliber for North America. You can ring steel surprisingly far with one loaded correctly but like frogman pointed out bullet expansion/energy constraints will dictate how far you could hunt with one.

Nine times out if ten I would say -06. Maybe more than nine out of ten...because of barrel life, shootability, availability of cheap brass, brass life...hundreds of other reasons. but in your case, because of the barrel twist and your desire to shoot it long, I'd say you will be happier with the added velocity of the WM. That is as long as you practice with it and develop tolerance to the additional recoil.

If your making shots over 300 yards definitley the 300.Deer are amazing animals when it comes to taking punishment. Down where I hunt there is a swamp, if they get out of a field, your down on your knees trailing blood w/ Mr.No-sholders. 1-10 twist w/165 grns are very effective. I've had great success with 168grn Horn.Amaxs and 165 grn Ballistic tips.Remember the further you go out the less engergy you have in the bullet. You want a bullet to open up and do the job, even if it slips between a rib and doesnt hit anything soild. Stands are important too, you dont want to lay your rifle across a 2x4 and take a 400 yard shot....Another reminder....respect what your hunting.

Chucks are hard to anchor past 900 yards. They can take a solid hit with .308's, .243's and even the 264WM and run down the hole. I am building a 300WM to run the Hornady 208 A-max this year. Really looking forward to getting out past 1000 with it. Great bullet that will still expand on varmint, good BC and accurate. Good luck, just get a good brake like a Vais or better yet a Badger FTE - recoil will be nill.

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

May I suggest a different 300 magnum? I personally really like the 308 Norma mag, a tad faster than the 300Win Mag, and a little slower than a 300 Weatherby IIRC, or there is always a 300 RUM too though, and that one doesn't have a belt if I remember right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 91xlt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 wm it is going to be
smile.gif
</div></div>

where do you shoot? or can you find a range between you & Tamaqua, PA?

I'll let you shoot my .300WM if you get me some Steve's Prince of Steak.
grin.gif

my rifle is a Remington 700 R5 with a Surefire suppressor addaptor/brake installed to tame the recoil, and i have a 5-20x50mm Vortex Razor HD sitting on top of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chucks are hard to anchor past 900 yards. They can take a solid hit with .308's, .243's and even the 264WM and run down the hole. I am building a 300WM to run the Hornady 208 A-max this year. Really looking forward to getting out past 1000 with it. Great bullet that will still expand on varmint, good BC and accurate. Good luck, just get a good brake like a Vais or better yet a Badger FTE - recoil will be nill.

JamieD
</div></div>
I will have to look you up when I get back from Iraq. I have a 300WM that I shoot past 1000, 1500 for that matter and I shoot just south of you in Bedford Co.

[/quote]
I will have to look you up when I get back from Iraq. I have a 300WM that I shoot past 1000, 1500 for that matter and I shoot just south of you in Bedford Co.[/quote]

Sounds good, really looking forward to taking a couple chucks with the 208 A-max. Could be a good time : ) give me a call when you back state side. Take care and be safe.

JamieD

If you like the .30-'06 but want something with a bit more reach, consider the .280 Rem. The bolt face is standard, and it's a higher performance 7mm without any potential reloading issues related to belted magnums. Factory ammunition is quite good; I am very impressed with the reach and accuracy of Hornady 139gr SST Superformance (nominally 3000fps) loads. Any rifle which is set up to feed the .30-'06 will work well with essentially nothing more than a barrel swap.

I have tested 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3050-ish fps, and will be testing 150gr versions at 2900-ish fps. On paper, they and the 139SST's will all reach 1Kyd supersonic and with 400=500+ ft-lb of energy. Barrels should be 24" at least and a 1:9" twist will handle bullet weights of up to at least a conservative 160gr.

For the 120; I use a non-max 56.5gr of H4350, and for the 150, I'll be starting the load testing with 55gr of H-4831SC.

I am still in early performance and load testing with the chambering, but the more I get into this the more I like it. I can't say with any certainty that bore/throat life would be superior to a 7mm Mag, but that's my suspicion. IMHO, what the .260 does for the .308 parent case, the .280 does for the .30-'06 parent case.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am very impressed with the reach and accuracy of Hornady 139gr SST Superformance (nominally 3000fps) loads. </div></div>

i like the Hornady 180gr SST super's outta my Win. Mag. it shoves them out around 3140fps

theres a 1000+YD range i shoot at in Lewistown, PA and with my scope zeroed at 100yds it is 9.0 mils to get to the furthest target (1026yds)up the mountain,.. with the scope i have i can just use my "Christmas Tree" (EBR-2 ret.) so with the rifle, scope & ammo combo i don't have to dial anything to hit at any range there.

I believe the .30-'06 is <span style="font-style: italic">the</span> outstanding North American generic hunting caliber.

I have seen folks develop 190gr loads for it that rival some .300WM loads. They do so by maxing out the case's potential, and I don't like doing that with any rifle.

I believe the key to better ballistic performance is to use the case capacity with a BC package that can rival the .300WM for ballistic performance. This can be achieved by stepping down the bore diameter and shooting lighter-for-BC bullets.

Concerns about terminal performance would seem to me to be minimal. Retained velocity should be better; thus improving retained energy to the point where it exceed the .30-'06's, and approaches the .300WM's.

Greg