• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Beautiful Wood 98 Mauser

Scimitar

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2005
Pine Hall,North Carolina
Just finished a rifle my Dad started
30 years ago. He had a Interarms Mark X action in 270 Win. He built the stock out of wood from our farm that he had dried 10 years earlier.
Curved metal checkered buttplate and grip cap. Found some Warne steel mounts (they were matte of course) shortened front mount and fluted the front just for looks. Polished and blued afterwards. Had to do the bottom metal again because it looked like it had been in a tool bag for 30 years. Found a pristine Leupold 3x9 gloss to finish it out. It still had grease in the barrel.
Been sitting unfinished because he lost some trigger parts. He's hit that stage so he passed it on to me this Bday to finish up. It's never leaving this family.
20240902_103209.jpg

30 years ago. He had a Interarms Mark X action in 270 Win. He built the stock out of wood from our farm that he had dried 10 years earlier.
Curved metal checkered buttplate and grip cap. Found some Warne steel mounts (they were matte of course) shortened front mount and fluted the front just for looks. Polished and blued afterwards. Had to do the bottom metal again because it looked like it had been in a tool bag for 30 years. Found a pristine Leupold 3x9 gloss to finish it out. It still had grease in the barrel.
Been sitting unfinished because he lost some trigger parts. He's hit that stage so he passed it on to me this Bday to finish up. It's never leaving this family. View attachment 8492783

He did one with exhibition grade quilted maple with a multi-staged staining process that uses ebony 3 times with sanding in-between each coat then finally sand and stain red brown. The results were awesome. It has a skeletonized buttplate and grip cap.
Probably belongs in a museum. Got borrow it to take pictures

Reactions: camocorvette
Been sitting unfinished because he lost some trigger parts. He's hit that stage so he passed it on to me this Bday to finish up. It's never leaving this family. View attachment 8492783
You did fine work Sir. Congratulations.