• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Bedding Bell & Carlson A5 Medalist Tactical????

Spanky4888

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
TX, USA
I have this stock "Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable ". I am unsure if I need to bed it or not. In the description for this stock they say

"The full-length CNC-machined bedding block runs from the bottom of the vertically-oriented grip through the tang and recoil lug region all the way to the tip of the forend. This not only adds a tremendous amount of stiffness and durability to the stock but also provides an exceptionally precise digitally machined bedding platform mated to the round-bottom of your M700 receiver."

So does this imply that I do not need to bed my reciever to the stock? Should I put a small piece of modeling clay in there and bolt down the reciever so that I can get an idea of how the contact area is?

Anybody have experience with this stock?

Re: Bedding Bell & Carlson A5 Medalist Tactical????

I had the Bell and Carlson A2 in my .243, and I'm switching it to the Bell and Carlson A5. The rifle shot very good in the A2 without any bedding. I could see on the recoil lug and bottom of the action that is wasn't contacting in very many places. I'm going to bed it in the A5. The main reason is that when I line up the ejection ports, the recoil lug is actually forward of the bedding block. One way to tell could be using inletting black or a Sharpie to color the bedding block and go shoot it. You will see how well it shoots without the bedding and the color will wear off the bedding block showing contact points. If there's not much contact and/or poor groups, I'd bed it.

Oh man here we go again, poor old Tripwire's goin to have to put down his beer and come to everyones rescue again. Great guy Tripwire, he's saving the world and getting no thanks for it.

BED IT and then trim the front bolt for the action (it will be too long) and then take some more material out of the bolt handle inlet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BED IT and then trim the front bolt for the action (it will be too long) and then take some more material out of the bolt handle inlet </div></div>

What???

Sounds like you missed some test fitting and prep and didnt float your barrel in the channel. Wrapping tape around the barrel in a couple of places allowing the ejection port and other things to line up with the stock not to mention centering the barel is a basic step. Unless your action bolts are long from the get-go, or your using weights or tourqing down your action durring bedding there shouldnt be a reason to mess with the action bolts.

The Tactical B&C has a full length bedding block so you shouldnt need anything more that a skim coat anyhow.

On the B&C A-5, the factory Remington forward action screw was too long so it had to be trimmed down. Also, the bolt handle inlet had to be dremeled out so it would close all the way. and all this WAS during test fit. Even after the bedding I still had to take more off the action screw. I have heard of many people having to do the same thing.
I have 2, with one being purchased second hand and the previous owner had to do the same thing I did with the new one. But thats not to say that every one is going to have the same problem.....

+1 On having to remove an ever so small amount of material out of the bolt handle inlet. Very easy, quick job with a dremel that ive also had to do on spendier stocks.

As far as the aluminum block goes, with a few shots, you should see how much contact your action is making, usually its not "100%" contact or even remotely close to it, and usually it doesnt matter as most rifles will shot very very well in this stock bedded or not.

Only way to know for sure, is shoot it and see. If you dont like what you see, or it just makes you feel better, skim bed it.

I took it out to shoot it, and it shot excellent! Prior to shooting it I did put some silly putty under the reciever and bolted everything down. After removing it i saw that it had dam near 100% contact, so i did not bed it. I shot a 8 shot group at 100 yards that you could cover with a quarter easily. This was using 168gr FGMM. I did not have to make any modifications....