Gunsmithing Bedding for a Newbie

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am considering buying a Howa 1500 action/barrel assembly and stock and putting it together. I have never done this...never even had a bolt action rifle (just semi-auto). From what I read, I need to bed the rifle, but also see terms such as pillars, aluminum bedding blocks, skim, bedding, etc.. that I am not familiar with. Willing to learn, and see some posts here that could help and will review those. Would I be better off buying a cheaper Bell & Carlson with the potential of screwing it up, or go for what I really want, the much more costly Manners T4? Any instructional videos or info on fitting the action/barrel to the stock that are recommended?

- Phil

Re: Bedding for a Newbie

as PCR said the sticky at the top is step by step, only thing i would add is during dry fitting stage make sure the bolts holding the pillars, & taking the place of your action screws are centered so the bottom metal will go back on without issue, worst case scenario you grind it all out & start over, the more dry fitting you do the less chance of this happening, go for it & good luck

It looks like, from your recent posts, that you want a cheap 6mmBR gunsmithing project.

If I were to do that on the cheap, I would use a 6mmPPC benchrest take off barrel $50 ~ $100.
These are Shilen select match stainless, Krieger, Hart, or Lilja.

The barrels are ~ 21" long, 5 pounds, and 1 in 14" twist.
These barrels can only marginally stabilize a 75 gr Vmax, but are just fine with 65 gr Vmax.

Then find the cheapest action you can that has the Mauser bolt face [.470" rimless].

To cut the threads and chamber, Mausers are the easiest, next is Rem700 and Sav110, and all the way up to the miserable Sav99 breech cuts.

All you need is; a barrel, an action, a stock, a friend with a lathe and a 6mmBR reamer, a scope, mount, and rings, and you could have a rifle and you could be shooting 0.3" groups.

That would be easy for some of us, but if you are dependent on others, it gets expensive or complicated.

I also recommend that you go to erniethegunsmith.com and read his articles, and to Accuraterifle .com and read the article on pillar bedding there. You need to read as much as possible and understand why there are several technoques. My philosophy is that unlwss you glue the action to the stock and end up beating it out, most mistakes can be corrected.

Good Luck with your Project.

Don