• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Beginner reloading kit suggestions?

AF_TT

AI
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2010
JoCo KS
I am about to start reloading in a few weeks and will be focused on .243 with 115 DTAC and a few of the other 100 grain .243 variety bullets.

Which kit should I look into buying as a beginner? I just want a good kit that will serve me well for a long time. Don't want to spend too much unless there's a good reason to!

Re: Beginner reloading kit suggestions?

I'm surprised you don't already reload because you must have a custom rifle, no box stock barrel 243 will shoot 115's, there twist is too slow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rcbs rock chucker </div></div>

1+. Very happy with RBCS press. Got 4 of them.

I use a lee hand press if I am away from a reloading bench and and lee challenger press when at home.. Like them both and they are not too costly so far I have seen no reason to upgrade for more $$$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrewF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anyone use the lee starter kits? </div></div>

It's what I started with. I loaded some very accurate ammo with that inexpensive setup and it gave me a good idea of what features were important. I eventually purchased a Rock Chucker press for rifle and a Dillon 550 for handgun (and knockaround 223 and 308). An RCBS beam scale, powder trickler, Power Mate, and Trim Pro have sped up production and kept my fingers much happier.

The only real shortcomings of my Lee kit were durability (I noticed the press tolerances getting a little sloppy after a while) and the case trimmer. Lee uses (or at least <span style="font-style: italic">used</span> to use) a pilot that goes through the primer hole...if the hole is off-center, the neck ends up less-than-square, and a large percentage of cases do not have perfectly centered flash holes.

Big plus: Lee's hand priming tool is excellent. Good feel and easy to change between large/small primers and shellholders.

Truthfully, nowadays it's hard to buy <span style="font-weight: bold">bad</span> reloading equipment. It all comes down to what features are important to you, and personal finances. (For some, that last may not be an issue, but for some of us it is.) Dies, case prep, component selection, and keeping good records of what works and what doesn't are the most important factors to good load development, IMHO.

The Lee Classic Cast is a great durable press at a reasonable price. I would recommend RCBS or Lyman for your scale and powder measure. I have used Lee dies before with good results but prefer Redding.