• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Benchrest 22LR High power scope Sightron or Vortex??

GIXXER2000

ELR Junkie
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Aug 5, 2013
    Bullhead City ,AZ
    Looking to add a 1/8 moa click high power scope for my benchrest 22lr. Looking at the Sightron SIII Field Target 1--50x60 IR or Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60X52 what is the overall pro's and con's of either?
    Thanks

I had three GEs. They were very nice scopes but I wanted a little larger center dot so I swapped them to Sightron SVs that has a bit larger center dot and 2 speed parallax adjustment which really helps. Never used the S3 but the GE and SV probably have better glass.

Reactions: GIXXER2000
    I have a S III 10-50 on a centerfire BR rifle. The glass is good, certainly not as good as the SV III 5-40 I have but at a fraction of the cost also.
    For punching paper it is a good scope. Nice clear glass and tracks accurately. You can pick up a used one for under $1k on Accurate Shooters classifieds, Grafs has them on sale right now.

Sightron is best bang for the buck , SIII 10-50 if you can make weight , fixed magnification SIII competition is also a solid choice.

For weight and tracking reasons Kahles 10-50 is quite popular choice as well.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dawhit
    Any reason not to go High Fixed Power. I had a NightForce Competion 40X (I know over your price range, not sure what the current used price is) and found it worked great for me.

Any reason not to go High Fixed Power. I had a NightForce Competion 40X (I know over your price range, not sure what the current used price is) and found it worked great for me.
    Used a fixed power for last 15y , but honest mostly to make weight , variable can sometimes help in conditions of heavy mirage and tired eyes

Mirage

Not sure if 22 bench is an issue but the ability to dial back for 1000 yd fclass is a great feature. First relay you can run 45-55 power. By third relay I’m backed off to 15-20 to reduce the boil

Both scopes the OP mentioned are solid. I’ve competed next to both. Unfortunately I also watched both the Sightron 10-50 and Golden Eagle fail mid match

That said I’ve used every Sightron SIII and ran the 8-32 for fclass. With MOA 2 reticle. I say pic the reticle that best suits the needs and roll with that

Mirage

Not sure if 22 bench is an issue but the ability to dial back for 1000 yd fclass is a great feature. First relay you can run 45-55 power. By third relay I’m backed off to 15-20 to reduce the boil

Both scopes the OP mentioned are solid. I’ve competed next to both. Unfortunately I also watched both the Sightron 10-50 and Golden Eagle fail mid match

That said I’ve used every Sightron SIII and ran the 8-32 for fclass. With MOA 2 reticle. I say pic the reticle that best suits the needs and roll with that
    Yeah I had a Sightron SIII 8-32 back aways, Not bad glass for the time, hated the turrets and didn't trust them. The OP is talking rimfire BR and I didn't have to worry about Mirage when I shot it, but I do get your point. Never shot F-Class, would have been fun. When I shot CF BR I was using a 32X fixed (Can't remember the brand).

Reactions: hafejd30