• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Bergara B14R barrel swap question

RomeO72

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2024
Iowa
Interesting question here,
I initially ordered a steel left handed B14R barreled action. Dealer told me that Bergara had changed the SKUs and there for I was sent a carbon barreled action instead.
Highly accurate, capable of .2s and even .1s with Eley Tenex and Norma Match.
My question is… I knew someone who was rebarreling their B14R and I was able to obtain their factory steel barrel.
I swapped them out and the accuracy with the steel barrel was horrific. Most loads were .8s up to 1.5s, actually struggling to stay under an inch.
The scrolling/writing on the barrel is upside obviously due to being in a left handed receiver, but here in lies my question….

Would the fact that this is a left handed receiver have any bearing on possible headspace with a factory bergara barrel? I know this steel barrel shot exceedingly well previously. Just trying to figure why it did not do so with this receiver.

THANKS !!

It could be there is enough head space difference that, that is causing your issue. Not all barrels and actions are created equally from the same company.

The factory Carbon barrel …all of the scripting is on the right side just about edge of chassis ….like any other factory rifle.
The steel barrel coming off of a right handed receiver the scripting is on the left side and when timed ….is upside down and half way under the edge of the chassis.
Thats why I was wondering if there were any other differences that I’ve overlooked that could possibly be at play here ?

The factory Carbon barrel …all of the scripting is on the right side just about edge of chassis ….like any other factory rifle.
The steel barrel coming off of a right handed receiver the scripting is on the left side and when timed ….is upside down and half way under the edge of the chassis.
Think about that for a minute....do you think that is due to the hand of the receiver or due to a difference in thread count? Do you think having different thread count would contribute to a difference in headspace?

As far as I know, Bergara actions are not cut precisely enough to be able to swap barrels between them. That is why the steel barrel timed differently - L vs R hand has nothing to do with it, that would happen with just about any Bergara action unless you get lucky. I'm surprised the extractor cuts lined up enough that it was usable.

The steel barrel shooting poorly could be due to several things, but first thing to check is headspace. You may be able to have the barrel shimmed or action cut, but most would just go for a custom barrel instead of trying to make a factory barrel work - it could be a lot of work for no gain.

If the extractor cuts lined up , check head space , if excessive I think you can correct the bolt with shims to see if that makes a difference in accuracy

I may be wrong, but I don’t believe the steel B14R balances. You have to add weights up front. And since you are adding weights, I would propose getting a DST precision rail and using the carbon barrel that shoots .1 and .2 groups. I’m 99% sure that rail, in steel, will balance the factory stock. I can actually check later if you want, as I own a carbon B14R that shoots quite well.