• Fast is Fine, Accuracy is Final

New tee just dropped. Shop now!

Grab yours

Bergara B14R: Failure to eject

I bought a B14R heavy barreled action with the intention of shooting rimfire PRS matches. For now, I have it in an XLR element 3.0 chassis that I am using for my centerfire match rifle.

The first few range trips I was having a lot of failures to eject. The failure rate was probably 80% or more. I called Bergara and they sent me an updated extractor and spring kit. I changed the springs and other parts and that improved the failure rate to roughly 20%, which is better but certainly not good enough for a match gun. I have read many others who have had success by staking the ejector in the action. I called Bergara again to confirm this is an authorized solution that would not void the warranty. Bergara gave me the go-ahead so I went ahead and staked the ejector.

Tonight in the basement, I tested everything dry with dummy rounds. Unfortunately I only did so after staking the ejector. With the ejector staked using the dummy rounds, I was having close to a 90% failure rate, and the ones that did eject did so very weakly; only dribbling out and not going very far at all. Next I tried single feeding the dummy rounds and sure enough I had 100% success and each one ejected confidently and strongly. I wish I had tested with the dummy rounds prior to staking the ejector.

So now I suspect the issue lies somewhere with interference from the magazine, or more specifically the next round on the top of the carrier. The chassis I am using does not have an adjustable magazine latch. I wonder if a different chassis with an adjustable latch would be the solution. I will try asking a friend to try another chassis, but I want to know if anyone can confirm that these malfunctions could be induced by the magazine and if a chassis with an adjustable DBM would be beneficial.

The gun shoots pretty well for what it is and what it isn't. With Eley Match ammo I'm averaging .56" at 50 yards over the last eight 10-round groups. I know a more expensive gun would probably shoot better, but for the price if I can get this action running correctly I'd be happy.

Some pictures of the failure in question and also how things are sitting with the magazine:

Attachments

• 714167FA-9021-41B8-8EB3-A50F4B03C4E0_1_105_c.jpeg
    714167FA-9021-41B8-8EB3-A50F4B03C4E0_1_105_c.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 21
  • B3C56307-E755-4BC2-B54E-7ED2355A2EAB_1_105_c.jpeg
    B3C56307-E755-4BC2-B54E-7ED2355A2EAB_1_105_c.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 87BE03AE-7039-4361-9F83-053CC7B21C5F.jpeg
    87BE03AE-7039-4361-9F83-053CC7B21C5F.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 26367FDE-15AA-432C-A5A9-B9779ACD5DC8.jpeg
    26367FDE-15AA-432C-A5A9-B9779ACD5DC8.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 18
  • C0ED732C-24CA-4219-9F15-ACE251F8A8E0.jpeg
    C0ED732C-24CA-4219-9F15-ACE251F8A8E0.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 19
  • 2E1907B0-8275-437F-9410-A2241DC7B37C_1_201_a.jpeg
    2E1907B0-8275-437F-9410-A2241DC7B37C_1_201_a.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 18
Your mag is too high in the chassis/stock.

I run the L3i elite mags on mine with no issues once it was adjusted. Great option if you don’t have an adjustable mag latch. Otherwise try lowering the mag height. Have a custom B14R done by Modacam in a Solus chassis. I adjusted the mag latch for the factory mags and matched the L3i at the same. No issues even with the original extractors. Haven’t even tried the replacement ones they sent.

You def have to run the bolt with some speed as it doesn’t like a slow ejection stroke.

Your mag is too high in the chassis/stock.

I run the L3i elite mags on mine with no issues once it was adjusted. Great option if you don’t have an adjustable mag latch. Otherwise try lowering the mag height. Have a custom B14R done by Modacam in a Solus chassis. I adjusted the mag latch for the factory mags and matched the L3i at the same. No issues even with the original extractors. Haven’t even tried the replacement ones they sent.

You def have to run the bolt with some speed as it doesn’t like a slow ejection stroke.
Thanks. Thats definitely what I’m starting to suspect. My chassis didn’t come with an adjustable mag latch but I can add it, so I’ve ordered it from XLR. Cheaper than two new L3i magazines which are out of stock at the moment anyway.

Play with the fitment when you get your adjustable mag latch assembly. Also look at the ejector and tensioner claws/ paws. The back one closest to the action should have less tension on its spring when it moves. The front one closest to the action opening should be tighter.

Also run the bolt. don't be easy on it. It needs a little force to kick the little casing out. I know quite a few shooters with the HB Bergara's that shoot .2s at 50y when the right lot of ammo is found. They are great rifles. also an option to buy a Gen1 EC Tuner and adapter to tune your lot of ammo to it. I would only do this if you are buying a case of ammo at a time.

Play with the fitment when you get your adjustable mag latch assembly. Also look at the ejector and tensioner claws/ paws. The back one closest to the action should have less tension on its spring when it moves. The front one closest to the action opening should be tighter.

Also run the bolt. don't be easy on it. It needs a little force to kick the little casing out. I know quite a few shooters with the HB Bergara's that shoot .2s at 50y when the right lot of ammo is found. They are great rifles. also an option to buy a Gen1 EC Tuner and adapter to tune your lot of ammo to it. I would only do this if you are buying a case of ammo at a time.
Thanks. I definitely goofed when Bergara sent me the upgraded kit and I reversed the springs. When I installed I put the stiffer spring on the left (inner) position and the weaker spring on the right (outer). I see now that is wrong. So I’m cautiously optimistic that between reversing those and the adjustable mag latch I can piece together a solution.

Reactions: Defender32