• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Bergara rifles

jschroed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2010
MN
I'm not able to find much about their rifles. Interested in the HMR or possibly the LRP or elite LRP. They appear to be nice. I like the fact that the action is build on the 700 so many assesories are available. Has anyone owned, handled or seen any of there rifles? I'm interested in what you have to say.

I picked my HMR up on Saturday. Waiting on the glass which comes on Tuesday so I haven't shot it yet, but so far just handling it I am very impressed for a rifle sub $1000. If you look on their Facebook page, you will see some good pics and videos on the HMR.

I would love to hear how the rifle package shoots. The barrels are very impressive. But, then again, over the last two years, there have been so many improvements and new(ish) players in the barrel area. It used to be Kreiger and a handful of others, and now, prices are down, supply is up, and reliability is much better. Bergara barrels are A+

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Also interested in how it shoots, and how the action and trigger stacks up to a tikka. Im in the market for a tikka or the bergara just been waiting for some feedback on the hmr or bmp.

I dont own one. I have a buddy who is in the market and looking for a good starter rifle. I did get to run the bolt and dry fire one at the store the other day. I Liked it.

Its about as slick as my tikka for lift and cycling. The trigger seemed nice and very useable. I use Timney 510's on my 700s and clones I have owned and factory on my tikka for reference. I have used fancier and dont like the jewell and am ok with single stage. I think the paddle on the dbm is plastic, so a replacement in hand or one of metal might be a good idea?
the stock was more than useable, stiff fore end and a ton of flush cups, 2 studs up front that look perfectly spaced for a pic rail should one desire one. 22" barrel on the 6.5 creed seems ideal. Just a tad heavier than the tikka ctr 20" barrel rifle right next to it by feel, didnt weigh them.

Possibly not quite ready for big time competition and seemed great to get started and an ideal weight to work as a shooting rifle and a hunting rifle. At least until a guy could collect more rifles......

update us once your glass comes in and you shoot it please....

Reactions: Tnhunter2690
I have 100 rounds threw my new Premier LRP (6.5 Cr). Consistently shoots .375 MOA @ 200 yards with a bipod and a rear bag. I installed XLR folding stock and some QD points today for the element chassis, much easier to use my bore guide to clean. Over all very impressed with this rifle. I purchased it and a Ruger precision in (6.5 cr) at the same time. Both are nice but the Bergara I feel was worth the extra $.

I would say they are best bang for the buck. Was looking at Tikka and the RPR but after handling the Bergara I was sold. Takes AI pmags, qd sling sockets front and rear, adjustable cheek rest, good trigger, good stock, smooth bolt, and good overall length. Got mine last week and took it out today in less than ideal conditions and it was shooting just under half inch with my handloads and the Berger 130 AR Hybrids. Can shoot better if I would quit shaking from the cold. I'm very happy with it and will finish handloads for it once spring shows up and stretch its legs out.

The LRP is a quick change barrel nut system , is it proprietary to BERGARA or will it work with SAVAGE/REMAGE or others ?
Thanks !

Yeah, piggy-backing on the question. My understanding is that the Bergara B14 action has Remington action threads and therefore is not compatible with Savage barrels; and since it has no bolt nose it does not work with remage barrels.

Therefore I'm a bit lost in terms of what are the options to rebarrel one of these rifles outside of sending it back to Bergara

Sorry for my confusion , how about the B-14 BMP ? . Is it proprietary to BERGARA only ? and if so what is the cost and cartridge options ?. Perhaps Oakland Tactical can chime in !
Thanks !

FYI ...
Bergara B14 BMP Info B-14_BMP_on.jpg

Last edited:
I am glad to hear about the quality of the barrels! I just bought a blank. I will follow up with results
So back to the original question, has anybody done any rebarreling on these?

I am thinking of the LRP elite but am not sure how and where to get it rebarelled.

Is REMAGE an option?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

To give a bit of dissonance to the thread; I had a bergara LRP that frankly was a bit disappointing. It was a .75 moa shooter on average. I think a decent entry rifle for the price, but I also had a RPR and with the popularity of it and interchangeability of parts, I was partial to it over the Bergara. They make good rifles, nice guys, but I was a bit disappointed with mine while I owned it.

Now in fairness, I never contacted Bergara to try to resolve this issue. Their reputation would tell me that they would have taken care of me. It is nice to have a medium-small sized company like them that you could likely get a human on the other line. Couple that with the fact that they are still up and coming, and likely eager to prove their worth, I was confident that I could have gotten my relative 'lemon' sorted out, but I chose not to as it was an appropriate stepping stone/ gateway drug into the custom route. I enjoyed the rifle while I owned it, and thought the fit and finish was great.

People also rave about the action (i am only talking about their LRP series) - but I found it to be a very heavy bolt lift and the ergo of it just didn't fit my hands well.
But it sure was a beautiful rifle.

Attachments

• photo66113.jpg
    photo66113.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 175
  • photo66114.jpg
    photo66114.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I have both an HMR in 6.5 creed and a 260 in a CTR, the HMR has a better stock hands down over the CTR but everything else in my opinion wins out in the Tikka. The action in the Tikka is smoother, both empty and the more important part, while running ammo. The trigger in the Tikka is just damn good for a factory rifle, also a win for the CTR. Also the Bergara tends to drop a case every now and then when you try to eject unfired cases, I've never had a Tikka do this.. Both rifles shoot extremely well so that's a moot point..

Yesterday myself and 3 others went out for a day of shooting. 2 of my friends had brand new unfired Bergara rifles, both in 6.5 creed.

Both rifles were shot using Factory Hornady ammo. Both sighted in and ready to go with less than 10rds, this includes a 5 shot group for accuracy after nailing down elevation and windage
and setting zero stop feature.

From there dope was obtained in 100yd increments out to 800yds.

Disclaimer: I do not own a Bergara, don't work for them or have any dog in this fight.

Both of these rifles performed flawlessly! Accuracy was incredible from both, actions were smooth. No failures to feed or extract.

I did shoot both rifles and the only thing I found that I liked better on 1 vs the other was the flat trigger blade the one had felt better on the finger. As far as
trigger pull and weight both were excellent.

Was I impressed, Yes. If I need a bolt action of this caliber/style would I buy one, Hell Yes.

I have a Bergara B14 Timber in 6.5 Creedmoor. Love that rifle. My daughter claimed that one. I wish the HMR was available when I purchased the Timber. Rifle has been flawless. The stock is a little small for me at 6'3", but fits my 5'8" daughter perfectly. Looking to switch out stock and install DBM soon.

Recently purchased a Tikka CTR 24" 6.5 Creedmoor. Very similar to Bergara B14 in how the bolt cycles, but the 70 vs 90 degree bolt action is nicer. Triggers are very similar. Tikka maybe gets a little lighter when you adjust it, but so close that I couldn't tell much of a difference either way. Tikka stock fits me better, but I am looking to upgrade soon. I do wish Tikka provided more spacers, so the stock had more adjustment capacity. Both rifles had similar accuracy, in the 0.5 inch to 1 inch depending on ammo and how well I am shooting.

I don't know which I prefer in the end. I would buy either again gladly.

Reactions: david walter
I just sold a Premier LRP 6.5 creed. i bought it used. the first owner only had it 2 months. he traded it in for something "lighter in weight for hunting"is what i was told.. long story short..i bought it, had some trouble with group sizes, factory and handloads. then i found a small gap between the tang and rear pillar. I ended up bedding it. next day the first group went into one hole.. YAY its fixed.. nope. it was a fluke. couldnt get under 1 moa to save my life after that.. only ammo it would consistently shoot under .75 moa was hornady match 120 eldm factory brown box stuff. i wasted 300+ rounds of powder and different bullets , even different scopes, trying to get it to shoot under .5 moa. i would find a good load one day then the next it would be back over 1" at 100. i finally gave up and sold it for a 200 dollar loss. im not sure what was wrong and am sure its not a typical thing from them, but it was extremely frustrating.

Random question, is this action able to use AW mags/be cut easily for AW mags? I'm buying a HMR in 308 and want to use it as a project gun in the future.

Yeah, piggy-backing on the question. My understanding is that the Bergara B14 action has Remington action threads and therefore is not compatible with Savage barrels; and since it has no bolt nose it does not work with remage barrels.

Bergara does offer a Savage threaded barrel.

The press literature says that Bergara makes barrels OEM for others. In fact, one article points out that a "well known high-end large caliber AR" brand uses their barrels. Hmm. Makes me start to wonder: Les Baer, LaRue ??

I recently picked up a LRP in 6.5CM. I had been running a R700 varmint in .308 since I started shooting the local comps. The LRP is much easier for me to shoot, and I am far more able to fit the rifle to me instead of trying to make me fit the old rifle. I am still a beginner at this, but i now shoot touching holes instead of holding 1 moa. I am very pleased with it.

Last edited:
Just held the HMR today for the first time 889.95! (Don't trade my RPR, Don't trade my RPR, Don't trade my RPR) has been going through my head for last 5 hours!! That rifle is F*cking nice! Slick as owl shit and the stock feels great. The one they had in stock was the 308. OH and the trigger was Super nice. I would want a 6.5CM, wish they chambered one in 6mm CM! with the 22" barrel and a nice 3-15x50 would round it out perfect. But I wouldn't be a thing for any of the smiths to turn up a barrel for it as its all Rem. 700 pattern. OK.....damn it. I going to have to get one.

My HMR in 6.5 CDM is the most amazing rifle in terms of accuracy I ever owned. It is capable of sub 1/2 MoA groups with Hornady American Gunner 140gr. hollow points. Proof attached ... 5 shot 100 yrd group from my sled. I also have a TIkka T3x Varmint in .223 Rem. that comes close but is a little more varying. It is going into a KRG Bravo chassis this week since the Varmint stock is not all that great.

Regarding my Bergara B-14 HMR ... I have all my LoP spacers in the stock but would like two more since I could use a 15 to 16" LoP.

Where can I buy additional spacers for the Bergara HMR rifles?

Attachments

• IMG_2923.jpg
    IMG_2923.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 178
My HMR in 6.5 CDM is the most amazing rifle in terms of accuracy I ever owned. It is capable of sub 1/2 MoA groups with Hornady American Gunner 140gr. hollow points. Proof attached ... 5 shot 100 yrd group from my sled. I also have a TIkka T3x Varmint in .223 Rem. that comes close but is a little more varying. It is going into a KRG Bravo chassis this week since the Varmint stock is not all that great.

Regarding my Bergara B-14 HMR ... I have all my LoP spacers in the stock but would like two more since I could use a 15 to 16" LoP.

You can either sporadically check their online parts store at:
http://shop.bergarausa.com/pc_combined_results.asp?pc_id=7241BE10AB7F42A8A2ACE0FCB1DC7B95
they used to have them there, right now they've only got the spacer screws, but I'm sure they'll get them back in; or you can give them a call and talk to them. They're usually pretty nice and ship fast. By the way their online store has by far the best price for the 5 Round SA AICS mags.

Reactions: Alex D

Alex, if you haven''t gotten any additional spacers yet I just saw they are back in stock in the Bergara online shop under Bergara Parts. They are easy to find they're the only item without a picture and $5.00 EA.

Glad somebody got an accurate Bergara, I had 2 B14 HMR in 22 250 and neither could give acceptable groups. The first would not group anything under 3", the second grouped everything in an inch, no more or less. No more Bergara for me. Customer service was less than helpful. Savage customer service is better.

Reactions: Chipster
Funny, never had an issue with Bergara customer service. Most of the time I got an answer back within hours regardless what question I've had and my B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots great all the way out to 1,000 yards, can't say that for any of the two Savages I had tried years ago. I guess everyone has their preferences based on personal experience. Savage will never make another dime off me.

I own a B-14 HMR and a LRP Elite both in 6.5 Creed. I was able to snag the rifles for $800 and $1750 respectively. Overall, I have been extremely happy with both, and they are really a solid bargain for what they are made to do. The HMR was not very accurate out of the box and didn't shoot well until it was very broken in. I am now getting 0.25" at 100 with handloads. I love the ergonomics of the HMR and believe it is one of the best stocks on any rifle under $1k. The trigger and bolt are both pretty decent as well.

The LRP is in an entirely different class. From the beginning, it has shot better than I can and is extremely smooth. It will shoot a cloverleaf almost any day of the week at 200 and does not seem to have much of a POI change as it heats up. While the jury is still out on the stock, it is growing on me and seems to be solid. It is worth noting that the Magpul stock on the LRP elite has a crazy LOP that might not work for shorter folks.

I have shot both rifles next to guys with everything from Cadex to AI to reworked Remingtons, and I didn't feel like either gun let me down. The HMR is an entry level rifle, so it isn't an AI, but the LRP really does hold its own against the big boys. I have been seeing a lot more Bergara rifles at competitions recently, and a lot of guys are having great luck with the whole Bergara Premier line.

All in all, I have about 600 rounds down the tube on the LRP this season and would buy it again in a heartbeat. If they ever get back in stock, I am going to pick up a HMR Pro in 300 PRC.

I own a B-14 HMR and a LRP Elite both in 6.5 Creed. I was able to snag the rifles for $800 and $1750 respectively. Overall, I have been extremely happy with both, and they are really a solid bargain for what they are made to do. The HMR was not very accurate out of the box and didn't shoot well until it was very broken in. I am now getting 0.25" at 100 with handloads. I love the ergonomics of the HMR and believe it is one of the best stocks on any rifle under $1k. The trigger and bolt are both pretty decent as well.

The LRP is in an entirely different class. From the beginning, it has shot better than I can and is extremely smooth. It will shoot a cloverleaf almost any day of the week at 200 and does not seem to have much of a POI change as it heats up. While the jury is still out on the stock, it is growing on me and seems to be solid. It is worth noting that the Magpul stock on the LRP elite has a crazy LOP that might not work for shorter folks.

I have shot both rifles next to guys with everything from Cadex to AI to reworked Remingtons, and I didn't feel like either gun let me down. The HMR is an entry level rifle, so it isn't an AI, but the LRP really does hold its own against the big boys. I have been seeing a lot more Bergara rifles at competitions recently, and a lot of guys are having great luck with the whole Bergara Premier line.

All in all, I have about 600 rounds down the tube on the LRP this season and would buy it again in a heartbeat. If they ever get back in stock, I am going to pick up a HMR Pro in 300 PRC.
I'm drooling over the 300PRC HMR Premier. I need to sell another of my rifles so I can buy one of these. I'm also looking at a Christensen Arms Mesa Long Range in 300PRC. It'll be one of those two rifles for sure.