• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Best 223 bolt

With those parameters I’d say Tikka Varmint hands down

Other than that there’s a few flavors of Remington 700 with 9 twist barrels, I’d look at the stainless 5rs for a heavy hunting rig. Also howa makes a varmint in 223 and are said to typically be shooters. There may be a Bergara that fits also, I’m not sure

Patriot07 is that out of the box or did you do some work to it? Thanks
Out of the box, but it was with handloads. I only found one factory load that shot decent out of it, but she started singing with handloads.

Two disclaimers:
1 - the tikka is a 1:8 twist, and mine shot best with 68-75 grain bullets.
2 - the tikka factory barrel is slow (this is true with all tikkas that I've seen, not just a 223 varmint)

I'd bet you could find a 55 grain load that shoots good, but the 1:8 twist is really geared towards a slightly heavier bullet.

Not sure I agree with the "slow Tikka barrels" thing for all Tikkas. My 75gr ELDM load clocks 2960fps, confirmed by a Labradar and magnetospeed. 6.5mm/.260? Yes, that's pretty well documented. But not with the .223.

Not sure I agree with the "slow Tikka barrels" thing for all Tikkas. My 75gr ELDM load clocks 2960fps, confirmed by a Labradar and magnetospeed. 6.5mm/.260? Yes, that's pretty well documented. But not with the .223.
My 75 gr BTHP match was 2690. Got faster with Varget, but not much.

I don't doubt there are a few fast ones, but by and large, the Tikka barrels seem to shoot slower, at least the ones I've been around. That's a cooking 223 load you've got going for the 75 ELDM though.

XBR-8208 was the key. With heavies, it's been my experience that the powder selection is crucial to getting the higher speeds. Normal .223 powders typically hit pressure signs long before they produce velocity (or the accuracy is just too erratic). The slightly slower powders seem to yield better velocities (IME) when we are loading the heavier bullets (70gr and up).

Good to know, but I'll probably never own a 223 bolt again. After you consider the cost of the rifle and glass, the ammo savings don't add up given the amount of shooting I do. And there is really no substitute to practicing with your match gun rather than a cheaper-to-operate substitute.

My Savage 12 in .223 is enjoyable. I recently put it in a XLR chassis and replaced the factory barrel with a Criterion. It's a light recoil rifle that my wife and son also can enjoy shooting.

Good to know, but I'll probably never own a 223 bolt again. After you consider the cost of the rifle and glass, the ammo savings don't add up given the amount of shooting I do. And there is really no substitute to practicing with your match gun rather than a cheaper-to-operate substitute.
If you are buying an entire gun, scope, etc for a .223 it may not be worth it but on a switch barrel set up its relatively cheap to get into it. $525 prefit barrel and a new bolt or bolt head depending on the set up. I agree that an entire gun just to save money probably isn't worth it which is why im considering the switch barrel route for my next gun.

I've been thinking about a howa mini action chairs model but they're 1:8
All the howas brownells have in stock though I believe are 1:9
I haven't shot their 223 but the 308 I have is great and have not seen bad reviews on them really.
Really like the action itself.
If going custom I probably wouldn't choose it over a 700 or clone.
But no way I would think about a Remington if keeping it stock.

My savage LRP action with an f class savage barrel, bought it all as separate parts. I have just over 1K in it and that includes the manners T5 stock. First time I zero'd the scope at 100 yards after putting it together I shot one ragged hole for 10 shots with black hills 77 smk's. :)

Reactions: SLAYIN'SWEDE