Best ammo on the shelf and reload for .30-06

You are limited as far as commercial loadings.

If it were me I would try 185gr Bergers as long as your twist rate is fast enough for this bullet. I don't know what this Berger requires....check their website.

I shoot 1,000 yards regularly with my 30-06 and im shooting the 195gr tmk. Out of my 25" barrel they are leaving at about 2660-2670. It only takes 31 moa up to make hits at 1000.. im shooting 53gr of imr4955 in lapua brass with a fed210 primer. Bullets are about .005" off the lands. Its a good performing load and fights the wind very well.

Thanks for the fast response, any recommendations of anything I can get from ammoseek ? Or just commercially available, I'm going to reload but don't have all of the materials required yet.

I have found that this ammo from Creedmoor Sports is really good and consistent. It is actually pretty reasonable for match quality ammo too. It uses Lapua brass and a 167 gr Lapua Scenar bullet, so you will end up with good Lapua brass to reload when you are done.

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/2307/Rifle-Ammunition

It's not super hot, since it it used in civilian marksmanship matches with garands and etc., but it does reach out past 1000 yards quite well.

Thanks Sheldon. I had forgotten about Sniper Central, since I hadn't used it in years. On a separate, but related note, my brother and his wife just took their 3-day long range class and absolutely loved it. My brother is no slouch on a rifle himself and really enjoyed the class and the instructors.

I have reloaded for mine every since i had it barreled and trued. Before that i shot black hills and had pretty decent luck with it. I would look into what is mentioned above. If you can buy loaded ammo that uses lapua brass then i would go that route. Lapua brass is one of the best available for reloading so you would be able to save the brass and start reloading with good components.

I have used the 178 amax HSM loads successfully at 1200 before but they were running out steam for sure. The HSM 178 is very accurate and I doubt I could improve on it by loading. HSM is your only choice for decent factory ammo that isn't the equivalent of .308.

With that said it's always better to reload I'm using 210 SMKs and RL22. HSM did have a 208 AMAX load in '06.

I am preparing to test fire a load using Hornady brass, CCI BR-2's, the Hornady 178 ELD-X, and 50.0gr of IMR-4064. This is a Hornady listed max load specifying their brass. The Hornady 10th Edition indicates 2650fps from a 23 3/4" barrel.

It also indicates 2750fps using 58.3gr of Superformance, but I have yet to get any experience with this propellant. That is beginning to approach 300WM-like performance when one factors in the additional BC at the extended distances.

Hornady also markets the 30-06/178 ELD-X in this loading. I will probably be testing this against my handload somewhere down the road. Midway indicates a 2750fps velocity from a 24" barrel.

My testing will be in a Savage Axis II for now. I have replaced the scope, mounts, and stock on it. It will have to do until I can come up with a more LR-suitable rifle.

FWIW, I have been using Hornady brass for my Garand handloads for about five years. I find it very adequate for that task. My Garand handload is 48.1gr of IMR-4064 with the Sierra 168 SMK. I typically use WLR's for this handload. I would feel confident about using my Garand with this load at 1000yd.

Greg

Last edited: