• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best budget digital scale?

Freedomaintfree

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2019
What is the best digital scale or balance to buy for around $100-150 or less?

I am looking to reload small batches of 10-20 rounds for long range accuracy. I don’t reloading bulk and don’t plan to

Before I upgraded I used to use a Gempro250, unfortunately they are no longer available. Had good luck with it but to add or subtract powder from the pan and get a new reading you had to remove the pan and put it back on. If I were you I would save up an extra 100 or so and buy a RCBS chargemaster or chargemaster Lite. Check the PX section, people sell them here regularly. Saves you some time and is accurate enough to make some pretty damn good ammo and its automated. Add powder to hopper, set charge weight. press start. I told myself I wouldn't upgrade past a chargemaster and here I am with a FX120i with full Area419 upgrades. Reloading obsession takes over real quick once you enter the hobby haha

Agree with the above 100%. Chargemaster lite is the way to go. Can't believe I reloaded without it. I keep the beam scale just to make sure of weights, but I also have a brass washer that weighs the same as my charge weights. I use that every 10 rounds or so just to verify. Makes reloading so much faster.

This is what I use.

And apparently it does an OK job

Screenshot_20200110-080001.jpg

Well that settles that. Chargemaster lite it is.

here’s my thinking on scales.

you need a trustworthy beam scale just as a reference

Both the RCBS and Hornandy electronic powder measures are capable of excellent results if you do good load development.

Trickling sucks.
BTDT.

Only primary scale I”d replace the RCBS and Hornandy with is the V3 setup and more for speed not accuracy.

I’m confident I can’t shoot the difference between a SD of 4-5 over 3-4.

I’m confident I can’t shoot the difference between a SD of 4-5 over 3-4.

Most people can't shoot the difference between any single digit SD's (me included), unless you shoot past 1000 yards every time you shoot. Within 1000, the difference you'll see is so negligible the shooter and wind calls accounts for far more variation/group size/hit vs. miss.

Reactions: Freedomaintfree
Part of using a "CHEAP" digital scale is procedural.
Constant temperature at exactly 'Room Temperature' :)
No air drafts that can blow across the pan.
Not near electrical currents.
Weighting container to transfer powder gives negative tare value when lifted from pan each time.
Check weights to monitor repeatability.
It may be necessary to sacrifice the full scale calibration accuracy to improve accuracy at the target weight with cheap non-linear scales.
Resolution, while mostly the result of the measuring electronics is also restricted by how the display/decimal is set up by the manufacturer.
Some count by 1's, some by 2's, some by 5's differently for different units.
Total weight can be the same but resolution/repeatability at the actual target can be different.

I use a cheap digital, one because I'm cheap, and two just to prove a point.

I bought one of those GEM scales above and it lasted 3 days. Amazon sending a replacement now, and I ordered another cheap one so I can check weights side by side. If they don't work I'll probably go with a beam.

The issue is trust and repeatability - I found some of the last cases I loaded had 1.25 grains more than desired due to drift. Wastes a lot of time, and if you don't catch it, could blow up in your face. A beam scale, while potentially not exact due to how your eyes see center, should at least be exactly repeatable - i.e. you're 0.1 grains heavy, but it's consistent across the batch, and from batch to batch.

Chargemaster Lite seems cool, but if you're double checking anyway, would prefer a manual drop measure for speed, then trickle up. Probably same time/round, but double checked.

I bought one of those GEM scales above and it lasted 3 days. Amazon sending a replacement now, and I ordered another cheap one so I can check weights side by side. If they don't work I'll probably go with a beam.

The issue is trust and repeatability - I found some of the last cases I loaded had 1.25 grains more than desired due to drift. Wastes a lot of time, and if you don't catch it, could blow up in your face. A beam scale, while potentially not exact due to how your eyes see center, should at least be exactly repeatable - i.e. you're 0.1 grains heavy, but it's consistent across the batch, and from batch to batch.

Chargemaster Lite seems cool, but if you're double checking anyway, would prefer a manual drop measure for speed, then trickle up. Probably same time/round, but double checked.
I killed my first gem20 scale, but it took weighing 4k 308 cases to do it. The one I currently have got a fresh set of batteries as soon as I got it, but it is still serving so far.

My favorite scale is a vintage Ohaus 505 beam scale. I've tested it against both of my Scientech analytical balances. It has an extreme spread over 30 charges of .09 grains and an SD of .03 grains.

Reactions: Chickentoast
One thing that seems strange on my cheap lyman is the 50 gram check weights.
50 and 100 used to calibrate. No where near the practical use zone of powder for most of us.

That being said the lyman was about 50$ I think and is very steady compared to the hornady powder chunker sitting next to it, that spazes out on a whim.

On a budget I would recomend the lyman.

Buy a couple check weights.
I just got finished 'sorting' out 100 brand new Dogtown 22 Nosler cases to prep.
Just dug them out of the box, got a run of 109 grain cases so I started there.
109 +/- 0.3 into the loading blocks. Ended up with a block of 108.5 +/- 0.3 and a few outside that.
Wouldn't normally sort to 1/2 grain but that's how they fell.
Took no more time than sorting out the extremes.
Bagged and tagged the 108.5 ones for next time.
Now to sort me out some 88 ELDs and some 90 SMKs to do some load work with SB6.5 powder.
With a cheap digital scale, and posted on SH no less :)
P1010908.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
Due to the advice, I ordered a chargemaster lite and now wondering if I sell the RCBS 500 scale and powder thrower that came in my kit? If the RCBS chargemaster fails I would just replace it or upgrade... so is there any point in keeping the stuff from the RCBS kit?

Gem20 replacement from Amazon arrived. Still hunts and drifts. Returning the POS. Also got a Homgeek? Amazon cheapy - works great and stays on forever without timing out - will buy a 2nd one to double check my weights once trickled.

Reactions: Freedomaintfree