best bug out backpack with long rifle scabbard.... thoughts please

hunter1959

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
am curious as to what you guys have come up with on this.... have been looking for a significant tactical backpack that has the ability to scabbard a hinged stock AI/AT 24".... have looked at the Eberlestock G4 and G3... any other ideas?

I had a g4 and hated it. I now have a seek outside and a stone glacier packs. They don’t have scabbards but there are other ways to attach/carry a rifle and they support weight much better and with better comfort. There are many high end pack companies if your really planning on using it for more that just storage or short hikes.

look into
Exo
Seek outside
Stone glacier
Mystery ranch
Kifaru

I have the G4 and the Maverick 41 system. I like them both, depending on the intended use. I use mine as an LE sniper, where the furthest I’ve ever had to carry a pack was 1.5 - 2 miles. The average has been 200 yards or less. I use the G4 primarily for call outs, with the muzzle end of the scabbard stowed with my AXMC folded and inserted butt first. This makes it more compact than the Maverick bag, and easier to negotiate brush and wooded areas.

I use the Maverick setup primarily for range use, basically a soft case with a pack attached. I keep my range essentials in the pack, and the system works well for this purpose. The strap system on the Maverick is more comfortable than the G4, but I don’t like the longer length of the Maverick when worn as a pack.

Everyone is built differently, so pack preferences are somewhat subjective. I probably wouldn’t want to hump either one for 20 miles, but for my purposes, they work fine.

Arcteryx Khard 60, 16" AX(17.5 with brake) fits great. 24" barrel would just be hanging out. Probably have to remove the bolt from the AT to sit flat aganst rear of pack.
20160829_142259.jpg

Same rifle with 20" barrel plus brake
20161016_153352.jpg

Reactions: TACC and Laseredge
Arcteryx Khard 60, 16" AX(17.5 with brake) fits great. 24" barrel would just be hanging out. Probably have to remove the bolt from the AT to sit flat aganst rear of pack.
View attachment 7268031
Same rifle with 20" barrel plus brake
View attachment 7268034

I carry my AT 22” w/TB brake muzzle down with the extension unzipped, stock folds to the left, bolt sits against the frame sheet- never needed to remove the bolt. Great pack, harder to find now.

Reactions: Wyfox
I had a g4 and hated it. I now have a seek outside and a stone glacier packs. They don’t have scabbards but there are other ways to attach/carry a rifle and they support weight much better and with better comfort. There are many high end pack companies if your really planning on using it for more that just storage or short hikes.

look into
Exo
Seek outside
Stone glacier
Mystery ranch
Kifaru

Just don’t buy stone glacier’s quick detach rifle carrier. That things buckle snapped in half on me after half a season. I’m going to try Kifaru’s version, I’ve heard it’s better.

Not being critical but are you sure an AI is the bugout rifle of choice? I think they have siginifigent downside in consideration of weight of rifle, weight of ammo and rate of fire.

Reactions: pmclaine
Not being critical but are you sure an AI is the bugout rifle of choice? I think they have siginifigent downside in consideration of weight of rifle, weight of ammo and rate of fire.

My AR is probably my least "loved" rifle but probably the one I would pick first if I had to leave the others behind.