• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report Best Chronograph

Labrador doesn't play fetch the FPS in high wind well at all. They're also known to be fragile, they break if they tip over.

Magnetospeed all the way. If you're a load development Nazi get the off barrel mount MKM makes.

The best I’ve used is the Labradar and magnetospeed

As said above both have pros n cons.

Overall I like the magnetospeed better but when the Labradar is working well it’s awfully convenient.

Zenith El Primero
39711244365_41abba42e9.jpg

I love my Magneto Speed "Sporter" it is great. I am wanting to find an off barrel mount. Problem is that it is for an old Remington mod 700 3006. No Pik rail, only the forearm bolt for the sling.. Currently has a bi-pod attached... Any suggestions??

I am getting ready to buy a Magneto Speed but before I do I wanted to ask y'all if there is a better choice for the money.
You're new here. Welcome. Advice: Use the Search function, it works pretty well (some sites' search couldn't find its own @$$ with both hands).

There are many informative threads here regarding the pros and cons of Magnetospeed and Labradar.

Reactions: army_doc
@army_doc , didn't mean to sound short with my response, but the advice piece is certainly true. There are a bunch of threads on the subject.

SH can be a gold mine of valuable information, and you'll truly do yourself a favor by searching for a topic before asking a question about it. Most if not all the typical newbie questions - and intermediate-level ones - have been asked and answered repeatedly, and there is a population here that will, um, "forcefully react" to some of them.

For example, unless you have an asbestos suit a foot thick, don't - omg PLEASE - don't ask if you should use MOA or mils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like morons who stop on a busy highway to rubberneck a crash scene, I can't look away from such a thread and don't want my eyes burned out of my head again!

• Love
Reactions: Lapuapalooza
I have used a MS. But I now own a Labrador. I think there are pros and cons to both. I only shoot prone and the LR works best for me.
@army_doc , didn't mean to sound short with my response, but the advice piece is certainly true. There are a bunch of threads on the subject.

SH can be a gold mine of valuable information, and you'll truly do yourself a favor by searching for a topic before asking a question about it. Most if not all the typical newbie questions - and intermediate-level ones - have been asked and answered repeatedly, and there is a population here that will, um, "forcefully react" to some of them.

For example, unless you have an asbestos suit a foot thick, don't - omg PLEASE - don't ask if you should use MOA or mils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like morons who stop on a busy highway to rubberneck a crash scene, I can't look away from such a thread and don't want my eyes burned out of my head again!
LOL...No worries man.
Hey I actually have a really important question... should I use moa or mil??

I have a V3 and I have used a Labradar and both units do a great job but I prefer the V3. I have tried some of the aftermarket mounts but I prefer to just strap it to the barrel. My main focus is getting a accurate velocity so I don't mind a slight POI shift while I use it, it's 5 rounds, it will be ok. Now if you were going to be using it for F class or benchrest shooting maybe the Labradar would be a better option, I can't really say because I don't shoot those disciplines. When I go to a new place for a PRS match, I check zero and velocity and in 10s rounds I am ready to go, 5 for velocity and 5 for zero. You could probably go with less but that is how I do it and it works great.

In order to avoid the issue, I use a tack for a front sight and a piece of metal strapping tape bent 90 degrees with a notch in it for rear. I can hit a golfball at 1000 yards with it well after dark.

Yes! Much like a larger objective, it lets more light in that way. The best choice for shooting in low light or no light .?

Labradar is a pretty cool device. I've had great results with mine. Nice to chrono with no poi shift and simple to set up.

I have used a Magnetospeed v3 for over 3 years now and love it. Only issue I have ever had was the battery dying in the display, but that was my fault for thinking a 9v would last years and years.

Follow the instructions and it just works.

I have the first two iterations of magnetospeed. In my experience with them they dont affect group size much, but do affect the poi. On my rifles they seem to push the group away from the bayonet, so I think the effect comes from some aerodynamic interaction between the bullet and the bayonet, instead of barrel harmonics but I havent used an off barrel mount before to investigate this.

If you want to check velocities while practice shooting at distant targets the labradar seems like the only option.

Reactions: bjay
For us that reload our ammos..5-10 of ammos is just few bucks..when magnetospeed is attached.i dont take groups or impact serious with bayonet on the barrel. Its strictly for fps only.
But it still saving $ if every shot matter...
I wanna try LAB now :)

Reactions: army_doc
I've been using the CE Pro Chrono for a couple of years, and it's worked exactly as advertised. Honestly I expected spotty results from these diffuser style chronos based on some of the internet reports, but frankly I've been amazed at the consistency mine has delivered. I'm pretty anal and use some known, proven test loads during my sessions to verify the Chrono's consistency. It always seems to be on. Of course I'm also pretty anal about how I set it up and am very observant of sky/light/cloud issues to try to insure the best results.

I don't have any knowledge about the Caldwell model. I do have their long range target camera and some of their other products and am quite pleased with their products. On units like the Lab Radar and such, I have little doubt they work and work well. If I were wasting ammo, time and dealing with frustration with my chrono, I'd probably be motivated to spend that much to get a unit like that. All I can say is that mine has been working reliably.

When practice shooting at distant targets, we are collecting data. We continually analyze why the shot went where it did, in an attempt to isolate and control the variables that go into the shot placement. I really like the idea of having velocity data for each shot but the finicky nature of the labradar has held me back.

When practice shooting at distant targets, we are collecting data. We continually analyze why the shot went where it did, in an attempt to isolate and control the variables that go into the shot placement. I really like the idea of having velocity data for each shot but the finicky nature of the labradar has held me back.

My only problems with the Labradar has been when lots of people are nearby shooting.

Obviously that’s not an issue with the magnetospeed.

I’m going to play around with my Magnetospeed tomorrow to see if/how far it moves my shot placement with and without external mount.

Reactions: KYpatriot