• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best custom action for new build?

AW mag cut? Sounds like you need an AIAT or an AIAX.

The machines making these rifles in England are going to keep their tolerances tight, and the clearance between parts at a tight specification. They are stupid silky as well.

I like tight and silky smooth things...

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Like the idea of a short compact 10 round mag is why I was leaning towards the AW cut. Would love an AI but trying to keep the budget below 4k. Was looking at Surgeon, Bighorn TL3, Stiller Tac 30 and Defiance Deviant Tactical.

You could use the ARC mags if you're wanting a compact ten round mag. After market followers are available to aid in better feeding and ARC is going to release followers and they will be free to anyone that purchased an ARC mag.

Just a thought from personal experience... I was under the impression I wanted to run AW mags in a custom action as well. After handling a bunch of different ones, I went with Surgeon that runs AICS mags. So my advice, pick the action you want, and run the mags that work best for it.

AICS mags run perfectly. I have shot one PRS shoot, and done so with a 10 round and a 5 round mag for reloads. Not once did I find that the 10 round mag got in the way compared to a 5 rounder. If using the rifle for hunting, I am pretty positive I will never need more than a 5 round mag (and if I do, I have the SAP 2-round holder).

I have a Tempest. It's a very slow, janky action. Feed from the mags is very unreliable, so I only single feed. The AW mag seems to ve a very bad design, at least with this action. The follower has no anti-tilt, so it flips forward often. AICS is far superior.

I have a Tempest. It's a very slow, janky action. Feed from the mags is very unreliable, so I only single feed. The AW mag seems to ve a very bad design, at least with this action. The follower has no anti-tilt, so it flips forward often. AICS is far superior.

Who built yours? I have 2 and your experience couldn’t be further from mine. AW mags kick ass and I have no had one hiccup through a combined 7k-ish rounds

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another if they made a 223 boltface

I have a Defiance Deviant Elite with the AW cut and run 6mmBr out of AW mags no problems. It is a little tight with the first round when loaded to capacity but it works very well. I can run AICS mags from it as well with no issues.

I also have a Deviant Tactical that does not have the AW Cut and it feeds great from AICS.

I actually can't tell what I prefer, loading AW mags is super easy but the AICS mags are really good too.

I had an AX and of course it fed well from the AX mags.

Who built yours? I have 2 and your experience couldn’t be further from mine. AW mags kick ass and I have no had one hiccup through a combined 7k-ish rounds

Mine feeds like butter! I can’t think of a better action to run AW mags,something doesn’t sound right with your build.

GAP built my rifle, and my AW mags are OEM AI.

GAP built my rifle, and my AW mags are OEM AI.

That’s pretty hard to believe, especially if you did have an issue and gap didn’t take care of you after you contacted them about your displeasure.

Between 2 tempests (both gap builds), an AXMC and an impact. All 4 of my rifles are 100% reliable. 3 of the 4 run on AW mags and I prefer them to AICS mags.

Lots of more options if you give up the AW mag requirement. A few downsides to running an AW mag in a custom action, and the only pro (shortened length) is not really that much of a pro IMO. I've never been hindered by my "long" AICS mags, and I have +2 extension baseplates on them. In fact, the extra length can help you in certain positions.

If we take that priority away, this is what I would recommend:

1. Mausingfield - best action with CRF (IMO), lots of built in features which aid in reliability. If matched with the proper trigger (properly timed) the action feels incredible with the DLC coating, with effortless bolt close. I really like the 105/-5 feature. Exhibits no bolt binding, and handles dirt very well. Very well thought out action which is much more than just a reworked R700. My friend also has a Mausingfield (supposedly from the same batch), which feels different than mine though. It was pretty stiff when caming the bolt over when putting a round in battery - which I believe was a trigger timing issue. It also had more bolt lift. A properly timed trigger really wakes this action up, IMO. I'm using a BnA Tacsport, while he is using a Huber trigger (mine did not require any timing).

2. Lone Peak Fuzion - my #1 pick for a push feed action. Silky smooth and does a really good job eating the dirt. Would be hard to find a smoother tactical action (though I feel my Mausingfield may give it a run for its money). Impact would be my second preference for push feed based on the comments and reviews, though admittedly I haven't handled one yet.

If you don't take away the AW mag requirement, that pretty much leaves you with the Tempest, which is the only custom action that I'm aware of that was designed from the ground up to use the AW mag. Seems to be some problems with those actions, and they don't really seem to do anything better than the other options currently out there. I also would shy away from using any action with 2 lugs with the AW mags, to many potential issues.

That’s pretty hard to believe, especially if you did have an issue and gap didn’t take care of you after you contacted them about your displeasure.

Between 2 tempests (both gap builds), an AXMC and an impact. All 4 of my rifles are 100% reliable. 3 of the 4 run on AW mags and I prefer them to AICS mags.

Should a Tempest have lighter bolt lift than an RPR? I think my RPR being far smoother is what may make me finally ship the Tempest back. It's just... the worst action.

Lots of more options if you give up the AW mag requirement. A few downsides to running an AW mag in a custom action, and the only pro (shortened length) is not really that much of a pro IMO. I've never been hindered by my "long" AICS mags, and I have +2 extension baseplates on them. In fact, the extra length can help you in certain positions.

If we take that priority away, this is what I would recommend:

1. Mausingfield - best action with CRF (IMO), lots of built in features which aid in reliability. If matched with the proper trigger (properly timed) the action feels incredible with the DLC coating, with effortless bolt close. I really like the 105/-5 feature. Exhibits no bolt binding, and handles dirt very well. Very well thought out action which is much more than just a reworked R700. My friend also has a Mausingfield (supposedly from the same batch), which feels different than mine though. It was pretty stiff when caming the bolt over when putting a round in battery - which I believe was a trigger timing issue. It also had more bolt lift. A properly timed trigger really wakes this action up, IMO. I'm using a BnA Tacsport, while he is using a Huber trigger (mine did not require any timing).

2. Lone Peak Fuzion - my #1 pick for a push feed action. Silky smooth and does a really good job eating the dirt. Would be hard to find a smoother tactical action (though I feel my Mausingfield may give it a run for its money). Impact would be my second preference for push feed based on the comments and reviews, though admittedly I haven't handled one yet.

If you don't take away the AW mag requirement, that pretty much leaves you with the Tempest, which is the only custom action that I'm aware of that was designed from the ground up to use the AW mag. Seems to be some problems with those actions, and they don't really seem to do anything better than the other options currently out there. I also would shy away from using any action with 2 lugs with the AW mags, to many potential issues.

I've been keeping an eye on the Lone Peak Fuzion and saw some where you were putting one together glad you like it.

I'm torn between a Defiance or Lone Peak

What trigger are you using and hows the timing on the Fuzion?

I've been keeping an eye on the Lone Peak Fuzion and saw some where you were putting one together glad you like it.

I'm torn between a Defiance or Lone Peak

What trigger are you using and hows the timing on the Fuzion?

Build is still in progress, but I sent the gunsmith a Bix 'n Andy Tacsport trigger that he is going to time to the action.

Another shooter in my squad at the Quiet Riot was running one, and it worked very well. Was very tolerant of the dust (it was very windy and dusty on day #1), yet still ran as good as it did at the start of the match. Felt and handled great. Excited to get the wife's Fuzion to try out. From what I've seen, felt and heard about the Fuzions, I have really high hopes for the wife's rifle.

Build is still in progress, but I sent the gunsmith a Bix 'n Andy Tacsport trigger that he is going to time to the action.

Another shooter in my squad at the Quiet Riot was running one, and it worked very well. Was very tolerant of the dust (it was very windy and dusty on day #1), yet still ran as good as it did at the start of the match. Felt and handled great. Excited to get the wife's Fuzion to try out. From what I've seen, felt and heard about the Fuzions, I have really high hopes for the wife's rifle.

Was his nitrided? I look forward to hearing how you like it

Badger M2013 uses AW mags and is a beast of an action as well. Very reliable and over built. Mine was put together by SAC and bolt lift isn't an issue and accuracy is astonishing in 6XC.

There is a video of Ted cycling an ARC Nucleus with ARC double stack center feed mags at Shot Show. It looks nice and smooth to me.

I think it has a patent pending dual cocking cam system with a 70° bolt lift for easy cycling.

It is just starting to ship and there would be a wait but it looks like it's going to be a nice action and reasonably priced.

You could buy a John Hancock rifle if you want to buy one already built and QC'd which also looks nice and reasonably priced and get in line.

There is a video of Ted cycling an ARC Nucleus with ARC double stack center feed mags at Shot Show. It looks nice and smooth to me.

I think it has a patent pending dual cocking cam system with a 70° bolt lift for easy cycling.

It is just starting to ship and there would be a wait but it looks like it's going to be a nice action and reasonably priced.

You could buy a John Hancock rifle if you want to buy one already built and QC'd which also looks nice and reasonably priced and get in line.

Sounds like the Tubb 2000.