Best factory SPR/DMR AR-15

brentwinkey

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2012
St.Cloud Minnesota
Looking at putting a good 223 spr/dmr type AR rifle in the the collection. Wanting a 18in barrel, adjustable gas system to run suppressed, light enough for predator type hunting but shoot good for long strings at range for practice/PRS type shooting, 2000 dollar range, 1:7/1:8 twist for shooting the heavier stuff 70-80gr pills
Looking at the following.
Seekins 3G2
POF Renegade SPR
F4 Defense DMR

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Brent

Tough choice. Build or have one built for you (by someone like Craddock or MSTN) is the obvious answer. But if you have to stick to factory it is a tough choice between the Seekins and F4. F4 has the better AGB and trigger, while the Seekins has a better receiver/handguard, stock and break. Since you also want to hunt with it, I'd probably go F4, if it was more just PRS I'd go Seekins.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentwinkey
I would have to say none of those. I would either get an 18" DD Pro or build. I have two DD Pro's and they shoot 1/2 moa with Bl Hills 77 and less with Cooper Creek ammo. I know some people think they are just ok but that has not been my experience at all. Or, get the upper and handg. you want and send it to Craddock for a barrel. Probably your best bet and get exactly what you want and he will assemble it for you.

I’m looking at the same thing and I decided to go with the Seekins 3G2. I can’t build one for that price and it already has all of the stuff I want. I don’t have to waste my time or money. The 30% off coupon helps too.

One thing I am going to do different is see if I can order it with a 20” barrel.

Looking at putting a good 223 spr/dmr type AR rifle in the the collection. Wanting a 18in barrel, adjustable gas system to run suppressed, light enough for predator type hunting but shoot good for long strings at range for practice/PRS type shooting, 2000 dollar range, 1:7/1:8 twist for shooting the heavier stuff 70-80gr pills
Looking at the following.
Seekins 3G2
POF Renegade SPR
F4 Defense DMR

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Brent

Of the 3 you mentioned, the Seekins, hands down, if you want accuracy. For a little more money, the KAC LPR as someone else mentioned & you'll have high resale as well. I have a MOD 1 LPR with the Krieger barrel & it is a great rifle.

MM

Last edited:
I’m looking at the same thing and I decided to go with the Seekins 3G2. I can’t build one for that price and it already has all of the stuff I want. I don’t have to waste my time or money. The 30% off coupon helps too.

One thing I am going to do different is see if I can order it with a 20” barrel.

I'm leaning towards the seekins myself...I have a 15% code myself but a 30% code would be killer

Out of your choices I would go with the Seekins, they are a good value and perform well.

Just FYI, (not sure if you are aware of it) They come with adjustable gas blocks but not the type where you basically have two settings, suppressed and not suppressed. You manually adjust it with a Allen wrench so that the amount of gas going back in your rifle is enough for it to cycle, then you leave it alone. This will still be better then a non adjustable gas block when shooting with a can.

Out of your choices I would go with the Seekins, they are a good value and perform well.

Just FYI, (not sure if you are aware of it) They come with adjustable gas blocks but not the type where you basically have two settings, suppressed and not suppressed. You manually adjust it with a Allen wrench so that the amount of gas going back in your rifle is enough for it to cycle, then you leave it alone. This will still be better then a non adjustable gas block when shooting with a can.

Yeah I'm aware...itll probably wear a can 98% of the time...I do know seekins makes a 2 setting type gas block so maybe that would be something to look into as well...POF seems to have a good design for an adjustable gas block as well

I think if you can afford it than go with JP. But I think Seekins could be a solid second choice. The GAP ARs are built by Seekins and Lowlight seems to think highly of them too. He did a post about which ARs he liked. Check his list for other good options.

I am familiar with JP being from MN and shooting with some of there guys but not sure if I want to pony up JP money or not haha...could you direct me to lowlights list shax2lex? Thanks Brent

As others have mentioned, the KAC LPR is the HEAT!!! It’s sporting a Kreiger barrel, and doesn’t need an adjustable gas block. I run mine suppressed 99.% of the time. No adjustable GB needed. KAC has the gas port and length absolutely perfect. No gas to face, no malfunctioning, just solid .7-.75 moa groups. If you go KAC lower, you get ambi, and a solid 2 stage trigger.
The gun checks every box, and you always have a KAC should you decide it’s not for you, and want to sell it.
I have converted to all KAC now. I have shot MANY rifles, KAC has it right.

I've got the Seekins 3G2 upper on an extra lower I had laying around, and it's been great. With a TBAC U7 and Federal Gold Medal Berger it was easily sub-MOA at 100 and very consistent out to 800 yards on steel. I topped mine off with a Bushnell DMR2 Pro, which is a great optic for a LR gas gun.

As others have mentioned, the KAC LPR is the HEAT!!! It’s sporting a Kreiger barrel, and doesn’t need an adjustable gas block. I run mine suppressed 99.% of the time. No adjustable GB needed. KAC has the gas port and length absolutely perfect. No gas to face, no malfunctioning, just solid .7-.75 moa groups. If you go KAC lower, you get ambi, and a solid 2 stage trigger.
The gun checks every box, and you always have a KAC should you decide it’s not for you, and want to sell it.
I have converted to all KAC now. I have shot MANY rifles, KAC has it right.

Well, I haven't converted to all KAC's as I simply could not afford to do that, wish I could............but I do have 3 of them; the LPR I mentioned earlier & 2 16" MOD 2, SR-15's. And yes, w/o a doubt, KAC has it right.

They are the smoothest shooting rifles I've ever shot & they just flat function 100%.............their gas systems are about perfect with standard 223 to full house NATO 5.56.

If I need to bet my life on a rifle, it would be a KAC.

MM

Darn Vegas I didn’t know that. That changes things then! Now I want one! I have an Sr15 16” and it is a pretty awesome shooting gun. But the 18” wouid be nice.

I’m sitting here with several other guys that are all shooting this class. All of us are running some version of the SR-25 for the class. However, everyone also agrees that in the SR-15 line, the LPR is AWESOME!!
Super soft, accurate, not terribly heavy. The LPR is the one if you want a SPR/DMR in a 5.56.

Another LPR owner (mod 2) checking in here. If you can swing it, it is a fantastic option, even just putting the upper on your favorite lower. Mine shoots great with and without a can, and isn’t stupid gassy like some other guns I own.

I am switching over to all KAC guns for a reason. And it gives me commonality of bolts across my other AR’s. They are pricy, but if you don’t feel like fiddling with it, and upgrading as you go along, KAC is a great option.

Another LPR owner (mod 2) checking in here. If you can swing it, it is a fantastic option, even just putting the upper on your favorite lower. Mine shoots great with and without a can, and isn’t stupid gassy like some other guns I own.

I am switching over to all KAC guns for a reason. And it gives me commonality of bolts across my other AR’s. They are pricy, but if you don’t feel like fiddling with it, and upgrading as you go along, KAC is a great option.

What are they running for barrels now. I heard they got away from kreiger because they couldn't get them in a timely manner. Thanks Brent

I could go on and on about SDM shit, I love it, was an instructor at the first SDM school at Ft. Lewis and it was the best job of my life. I could go on about all the rifles I built and their attributes. But at the end of it all I'll say if you're gonna buy one in a box, to get a KAC.

I didn't want to build a 7.62 AR and I went with the SR25 and QCB suppressor. Couldn't be happier, zero regrets. They make all their own shit and it reeks of quality. I do wish it had the option of a fixed stock and MAMS brake vs. flash hider (that MAMS brake WORKS!) but the stock grows on you like the URX 4. The suppressor is really nice, you won't find a better all around can so I'd stick with it. A KAC rifle will also maintain it's resale value better than just about anything else.

They even look cool, and if you wanna be a REAL KAC fanboy, put some white enamel stamping!

Not true.
Literally just spent the weekend with Jack Leuba in Texas shooting SR-25’s.
They are still using Kreiger barrels. Straight out of his mouth.

Thanks for the update & hope you enjoyed the weekend shoot.

Looks like they've made the barrel contour a little lighter on the SR-15 LPR MOD 2's vs the MOD 1............can you confirm that for sure?

MM

Last edited: