Best factory varmint ar15.

Man there are loads of them out there now for under that budget. The Bushmaster Varmint rifle is really nice, that was one of my first ones I had. But with so many options out there now you might want to be a little more specific with what you want. Things like weight, features (twist rate, barrel contour, threaded or not threaded, room in your budget for scope/trigger/stock upgrades, etc).

I now run one that I built myself and did it around your budget (bought some parts used):
- Anderson matched receiver set
- Bartlein 1:7.7 twist 18" barrel threaded 1/2x28 and hollands brake (also run a suppressor on this)
- Magpul PRS stock
- Gieselle SSA-E trigger
- Ebay free float handguard
- PWS adjustable gas block
- Ergo grip

Very comfortable rifle, all the features I want, 3/4" 5 shot groups with anything from 50gr-77gr, and all of this for 1/3-1/2 the price of some factory rifles with those features.

This Stag 15 Super Varminter is the current version of my rifle, currently being sold at a very significant discount. It's a price I consider too good to pass up for this excellent rifle. It seems to be a very recent upgrade from the Stag Model 6 Super Varminter that I have had for about 5-6 years, and it's a really accurate and reliable precision rifle. Mine used the basic A2 butt stock, otherwise it's the same. I added the Luth AR MBA-2 stock, and a BAD lever, as well as providing one of the mags with a Satern single feed follower for use as a SLED.

During Stag's Labor Day sale I bought another as a Stag 6 Rifle Kit, and the required stripped receiver was shipped from Stag to my FFL two days ago.

Why a second identical rifle? Well, our Granddaughter used mine to shoot F T/R MR/600yd in the recent (February) SW LR Nationals and did well enough that I gifted mine to her; so I needed a replacement. After using this rifle, and researching either buying a different one, or building one from scratch, I went with kit version of exactly the same thing; it needed no revisions.

I especially like the Stag in-house two stage trigger.

Greg

To the point the OP asked for The BEST Varmint AR15 in a 1,200 budget is a Compass Lake Engineering Varmint Rifle. You have your options of Bartlein, Krieger barrels, Carbine or Rifle buffer length receiver extensions, Barrel twist, Chamber, Contour Fluting, Gasport selection, trigger, handguard and stock.

To the point the OP asked for The BEST Varmint AR15 in a 1,200 budget is a Compass Lake Engineering Varmint Rifle. You have your options of Bartlein, Krieger barrels, Carbine or Rifle buffer length receiver extensions, Barrel twist, Chamber, Contour Fluting, Gasport selection, trigger, handguard and stock.

I went to their site and found that $1200 will get me most everything but a lower and stock/grip. Do they have a complete rifle for $1200?

You could build a lower yourself very easily... If money is an issue

Anderson Lower $30
LPK no FCG $35
ALG trigger $65
Luth Buffer Assembly $64.95
Luth AR Stock $139

Total $334 for your complete lower.

Compass Lake match upper with Douglass barrel $775

that totals $1110 or so for a very accurate rifle

I went to their site and found that $1200 will get me most everything but a lower and stock/grip. Do they have a complete rifle for $1200?

Yes CLE makes Complete Rifles and they make them really well. Do yourself a favour and call CLE tomorrow and Talk to Frank he will be happy to work something out for you. One thing I wouldn't compromise on is the Barrel, stick with Krieger 7.7 twist or Bartlein 7.7 Twist 5R or four Groove. If you have no intention of using 5.56 ammo get the CLE Match Chamber it will shoot Black Hills 77gr Remanufactured ammo at .5 MOA or Less.

Yes CLE makes Complete Rifles and they make them really well. Do yourself a favour and call CLE tomorrow and Talk to Frank he will be happy to work something out for you. One thing I wouldn't compromise on is the Barrel, stick with Krieger 7.7 twist or Bartlein 7.7 Twist 5R or four Groove. If you have no intention of using 5.56 ammo get the CLE Match Chamber it will shoot Black Hills 77gr Remanufactured ammo at .5 MOA or Less.

Actually, even less with hand loads.
Krieger 7.7 CLE match chamber, 5 shot group from average shooter.

Attachments

• photo72672.jpg
    photo72672.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
The heavy barreled varmint RRA, Stag, DPMS rifles all shoot well but they weigh a ton. My 20" RRA Varmint has always been very accurate.

If you want an 18" you could build a rifle around a White Oak barrel. Tons of people have done that with good results. Lighter weight too so you could hypothetically carry it around hunting or whatever.

Padom on point, if you aren't going to build or have one built, just build the lower (or buy a KE Arms match lower) and put a CLE varmit upper on.

Just finished the Stag 6 Super Varminter kit. With a $100 Labor Day Sale discount, the entire rifle kit prices out at just under $700. So under $800 in an everyday world. Entire assembly time roughly one hour with the proper tools.

Please note, the Stag 6 has disappeared from the product lineup. Its kissin' cousin replacement is the Stag 15 Varminter, different only (that I can tell visually) in now having the Magpul Fixed Rifle Stock instead of an A2, intro priced at $799.99 for the entire rifle. I can no longer find the 1/2MOA accuracy guarantee on the Stag site. It's one helluva buy right now. stag_15_Verminter_model_6_L_2__29373.1506537208.jpg?c=2.jpg

Specs

Weight: 10 lbs
Length: 42.5"
Action: Semi-Auto Direct Impingement
Caliber: 5.56 NATO | .223
Twist Rate: 1/8 Button Rifled
Muzzle Device: 11 Degree Target Crown
Barrel: 24", 410 Stainless Steel, Heavy Bull Barrel
Handguard: Hogue Free Floating Handguard w/ Sling Swivel Attachment
Upper/Lower Receiver Material: Forged and Mil-Spec 7075 T6 Aluminum with Type 3 Hard Coat Anodizing
Bolt Carrier: Mil-Spec Manganese Phosphate coated M16 BCG
Gas System: Rifle Length with Low Profile Gas Block
Charging Handle: Standard Mil-Spec
Buttstock: Magpul Fixed Rifle Stock
Buffer: A2 Buffer with A2 Action Spring
Trigger: Stag 2 Stage Trigger | 2 lb first stage with a 3.5 lb let off
Grip: Hogue Pistol Grip
Magazine: 10rd PMAG
Safety Selector: Right Hand
SKU: STAG800002

Mueller 8-32x44 Target Dot scope 30mm with side focus. $259.99 835407.jpg

Nikon P Series 30 mm rings mounts Picatinny type $44.99/pr 413176.jpg

All of this and it's still within your $1200 budget (List prices total $1104.97)

Greg

Last edited:
I recommend the Bushmaster Varminter: [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/photos.smugmug.com\/photos\/i-MNm9RZs\/1\/00a7eea3\/XL\/i-MNm9RZs-XL.jpg"}[/IMG2]