• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best Gas block for my build

JMcQ

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2019
SC
I’m waiting on a call back from CLE but I’m ordering a SPR barrel with rifle gas today for a build update ( current barrel is a mid gas )
I shoot a mix of suppressed/Non and prefer a adjustable gas block vs carrier.
This isn’t a clone mk12

Best I can tell the superlative arms block seems like my best option. The switchblock would be great but I’m running a full rail for bipod location. Is there anything else I need to look at? The Switchblock on paper would make life simple but I’d have to mill a relief larger than I’d want.
I did rule out wanting to use a modified gas tube. I forget who makes it.
My only real issue with the Superlative is having to use a long hex or drill a access hole when I adjust.

As alway I’m probably overthinking things, but if anyone thinks there is something better I’d like to see it.
I will most likely use a JP captured buffer with the weight kit. I want to make a nice accurate soft shooting rifle that’s topped with a 3-18x optic. I want to see my bullet dust/splash

^^^Most will agree with this. That being said, I have Seekins and Superlative both and never had any problems.

Just received a Aero adjustable gas block today for a new build I'm working on.
I had forgotten what exact block I had on my other rig and wanted another....but it's not marked (seems it's a SLR from images on the net).
The Aero is near identical except that it's set screw fastening and not clamp style, it has the same click type adjustments.
It's also $45 with gas tube from Schuyler instead of $145 for the SLR.
Haven't tried it yet (obviously) but it sure looks just fine.
It even came with a extra detent ball and spring.

Rifle length gas is pretty easily accessible under a 15" rail with an SA. They come with a pretty long allen key to reach it. I have an SA on a rifle +2 and all but the back 1/4" or so of the block is outside the rail. On my other barrel that's rifle gas the block is just barely covered by the rail.

Just received a Aero adjustable gas block today for a new build I'm working on.
I had forgotten what exact block I had on my other rig and wanted another....but it's not marked (seems it's a SLR from images on the net).
The Aero is near identical except that it's set screw fastening and not clamp style, it has the same click type adjustments.
It's also $45 with gas tube from Schuyler instead of $145 for the SLR.
Haven't tried it yet (obviously) but it sure looks just fine.
It even came with a extra detent ball and spring.
I too am an slr fan but I tried a aero agb on a 308 I put together recently and it's done a great job but it isn't rocket science lol
for the price, not sure what I'm getting my slr blocks that that aero doesn't offer for similar design

I have a Seekins on a Rifle+2 gas with 15” handgaurd. Sticks out about 1/2 the gas block. Just ordered and SLR Sentry 7 for a 6 ARC build on rifle system also with 15” handgaurd.

Seekins adjust from the side. Not too good unless your handgaurd has m-lock or other relief access. The SLR adjust from the front. Much easier access with supplied allen or longer allen wrench depending on your gas system and handguard length.

PS - my Seekins is a 0.875” AGB and barely fit under a 15” Rise Armament Slim handgaurd. I had to relieve some metal around the gas tube channel as the gas block widened too much to clear the channel.

Last edited:
...SLR "clamp" & "set screw" type AGB's under a CMT 13.7" HG, rifle length gas system....

1641514254489.jpeg

1641514349105.jpeg

Another vote for SLR….I haven’t tried the above mentioned Aero Precision, but generally I think they offer a good product at a value price. I’ll probably order an Aero to try on future builds.

Another vote for SLR….I haven’t tried the above mentioned Aero Precision, but generally I think they offer a good product at a value price. I’ll probably order an Aero to try on future builds.

....I checked out one at a local shop, the only concern I had was the small detent ball and spring. Based on past experiences it would be a very good idea to have spares of both on hand as they are both very small and easily lost/misplaced when doing maintenance. I imagine in a worse case scenario one could find an appropriate sized bearing that could suffice as long as the metal the bearing is made from handles the heat produced.

...they do include a spare of each in the package so that's a good thing, but also makes me wonder about the durability of those parts. For the price though (~1/2 of the SLR's) it's worth testing.

Reactions: TNSleeper99
What are people doing for AGB maintenance? I remember reading of people who never clean them having the adjustment screw bind up with carbon.

I remember seeing recommendations to occasionally oil it, IIRC.

What are people doing for AGB maintenance? I remember reading of people who never clean them having the adjustment screw bind up with carbon.

.....can't speak to others, but for my SLR's what I do after a shooting session is run the adjustment screw all the way out then all the way back in then back out a few times to "auger" off any carbon build up from that session, then set it back to the original setting. This takes but a minute or two to perform. For those that reload and frequently switch powders and projectile weights, the ability to adjust may be required, same if someone only uses commercial ammo and they frequently switch ammo brand/type. For those that never change components or ammo, letting the adjustment mechanics "lock" in place once adjusted is feasible. YMMV

I've never had this issue. When I clean, I put foam cleaner down the gas tube and it cleans it all out. Spray with hoppes 9 when the foam drained, wait, clean rifle. I've gone thousands without cleaning but I do on occasion, move the setting 2 right, 4 left, 2 right back to my original setting to insure function. Maybe that is why I never had an issue

...this vid shows what can occur if PM's aren't performed regularly... any product will suffer if PM of some sort isn't performed.

...as a user of SLR's I am biased, but I like the fact that this vid shows just how easy and straight forward it is to rehabilitate an SLR AGB that was neglected.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I have two Superlative gas blocks, one works flawlessly the other is problematic (5.56 and 300 blackout respectively). And honestly adjusting it with the long Allen wrench is a PITA as is not knowing if you're wide open or have gone too far and are now in bleed mode. I was pretty much at my wits end with the SA and I just ordered a JP adjustable gas block to replace it on my 300 blackout. It has a side adjustment which won't necessitate me taking off the suppressor or fumbling with the long ass wrench. I would have gone rifelspeed in a heartbeat but they don't offer one that works with my barrel/handguard combo.

I ended up with the SA block and just got my CLE barrel yesterday and started the break in today

17 clicks open and it was perfect. Very consistent all my brass was landing in the same spot. This is a untouched pile
FF50A2D4-09C2-4E6E-9D8E-864455078F83.jpeg