• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best model Atlas Bipod for .338 Lapua Magnum?

jim-h

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2020
Nevada
Atlas has so many models I am having a hard time deciding which non-panning model is right for me. I shoot exclusively in the prone position from 1,500 - 2,000 yards. I have a couple .338 Lapua Magnums and have been using the Accu-Tac HD-50 bipod for a couple years now. The Accu-Tac bipod has no flex and I find it hard to load the bipod. I am going to get the Area 419 ArcaLock Clamp to go on the Atlas. Which model do you recommend?

Take a look at the Super CAL and the 5H. Also I'd suggest looking at the Elite Iron options. I just bought a Thunder Beast tripod for my AI, but haven't shot with it yet. Feels good in the living room though! Might be a tad small for a 338 rig.

Reactions: schmi015
Take a look at the Super CAL and the 5H. Also I'd suggest looking at the Elite Iron options. I just bought a Thunder Beast tripod for my AI, but haven't shot with it yet. Feels good in the living room though! Might be a tad small for a 338 rig.
Have you had a chance to shoot with the Elite Iron? I'm curious to see if it's stiff like the Accu-Tac HD50 or if it flexes more like an Atlas?

For the type of shooting mentioned by the op, I think the elite iron would be very hard to beat.
I am going to look into the elite iron. I just don't have access to use one and don't want to add another bipod to the pile of things I don't use. I already have a Valdata HD Anvil bipod that is collecting dust. Lol.

I am going to look into the elite iron. I just don't have access to use one and don't want to add another bipod to the pile of things I don't use. I already have a Valdata HD Anvil bipod that is collecting dust. Lol.
Lol
That’s pretty interesting.

I absolutely love my elite iron.
It’s surprisingly compact when folded fitting in to an AR bag

Thanks. I'm going to call them on Monday and see if they offer an arca mount.
If they don’t, I run an atlas that I step to an Area 419 arca mount using one of the short rails out of the atlas pic rail accessory kit. I had to slightly shorten the screws that came with the Area 419 arca mount. I’ll post a pic if you want

Reactions: Fig
Have you had a chance to shoot with the Elite Iron? I'm curious to see if it's stiff like the Accu-Tac HD50 or if it flexes more like an Atlas?

I have not shot with one yet. I suspect that with the legs being quite a bit longer for a given rifle height due to the top mount that they’ll flex a bit and the reviews of it are super positive. I think Frank is using one now and I hope to be able to play with one when I do his class in June :).

Reactions: jim-h
They will work with you and you will be ecstatic. I wouldn't get the steel model. They talked me out of it and steered me to the Aluminum version/non-panning. I shoot an AXMC which is pretty heavy and have no issues at all
Thanks! I'm going to call Monday and make sure I order the correct mount. I was looking at the steel non-panning version too. Why do they recommend the aluminum version?

Thanks! Aluminum non-panning it is. Going to order on Monday and can't wait to get it!
5DF6B19D-AE0E-4DC1-A212-26B81696A423.jpeg

I use a 5H on my 338 LM AI w good results. Might try a SCAL next. Are the Elites really worth $700? Anyone own both and prefer one over the other?

I use a 5H on my 338 LM AI w good results. Might try a SCAL next. Are the Elites really worth $700? Anyone own both and prefer one over the other?
I have the elite iron and SCAL.
I prefer the elite iron for a few reasons but I’m totally happy I got in on the pre sale on the SCAL

I got mine on Black Friday for less than $550.

Reactions: DIBBS and BCX
I use an LRA F-class for my .338LM. Nice wide footprint. Very tight. Easy to load. And heavy enough for the big rifle. And a low center for good weight and front to back distribution. Easy to pan with the front facing lever.

DSCN9971.jpg

YMMV

Last edited:
Atlas has so many models I am having a hard time deciding which non-panning model is right for me. I shoot exclusively in the prone position from 1,500 - 2,000 yards. I have a couple .338 Lapua Magnums and have been using the Accu-Tac HD-50 bipod for a couple years now. The Accu-Tac bipod has no flex and I find it hard to load the bipod. I am going to get the Area 419 ArcaLock Clamp to go on the Atlas. Which model do you recommend?

Thank you for considering the Super CAL (SCAL) it was designed for what you are doing. One thing I'm puzzled by is idea about using an ARCA mount, is that for gross elevation adjustments?

Reactions: DIBBS
Thread bump but I am trying to decide between a Super Cal with Arca or a Accutac HS50 with Arca. Going on a Heavy 338 gun.
I shoot an AXMC in 338 LM with a Heavy Palma barrel...with optics and a RAPTAR it tips the scales at 20 pounds.

I have used the 5H...meh
I have used the CAL/Super CAL..meh

I use the Elite Iron. It is nothing short of fabulous. I caveat that by saying I shoot prone 99% of the time.

YMMV

Last edited:
I'm happy with the Super CAL on my AXMC. It is admittedly somewhere in the fuzzy grey area between "just right" and "too big", but for a 20+ lb rifle that's rather top-heavy due to big optics, it provides a stable platform.

Thread bump but I am trying to decide between a Super Cal with Arca or a Accutac HS50 with Arca. Going on a Heavy 338 gun.
I just picked up a used HD50 in the px. This things a tank. Much heavier built than my Atlas (regular cal Gen II) or TBAC. Several inch wider stance as well. I think it will serve me very well for my AXMC