• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best place to buy Trimble Nomad

Dave Garrett

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
I am looking for a Trimble Nomad to use as a ballistic calculator .. I had I think the 900L years back but sold it and have missed it ever since... Is Ebay the best bet? .....Thanks for any help Dave

I got mine on Ebay a while ago - like 2009 - for considerably lower than MSRP. I believe Blaine at Lex Talus/FFS usually has new ones in stock - not sure about his pricing, but you'd be buying from a stand-up source.

Ebay but you have to know what to look for and how people can forget to mention important things.

Whatever you do make sure the boot it has is the USB charger boot and the unit actually comes with a battery. Some people will try to fool you with taking a picture of the unit powered on via the USB cable, with no battery in it. If you are forced to make a choice, get the unit with the closed lithium (I think?) battery and not the AA battery as the unit burns that AA battery pack out in literally no time.

Thanks for the help... I can't remember but believe I had Sterock loaded on it as a ballistic program... I couldn't get this to work ( probably me) so just used the old nightforce simple program.... It was quick and super easy for me.... What are you guys using for a program???? Thanks Dave

Can you tell me about the JUNO????I have never heard of them... Just looked at them on ebay... is it tough and do the battery charge last quit a while , how does cold effect them...Thanks Dave

I run FFS on mine. Its the gold standard for ballistics programs. I have been talking to Blaine and COry from FFS about integration options between the Nomad and Terrapin X. Hopefully there will be a solution soon.

The Juno is a mobile device (smart phone) with a touch pad screen. Its solid and a little bit larger and heavier than an iPhone. Battery life is very good and no issues in the cold. The newer models have a very good and fast GPS chip in them. I keep the Juno paired with a 4500 NV in my dope book since it is smaller than the Nomad. I can connect it via Bluetooth with my 25c but prefer the Nomad with a trigger cable when pairing. If you have not done so already, I would highly recommend the Gunsite XLR class taught by Cory and Walt. Took it the second time last September and it was excellent.

This is where I purchased mine:

http://www.lextalus.com

His site is a great resource for learning FFS as well!
IMG_20180717_113806479_HDR.jpg

WOW that a high dollar Christmas tree you have there.... I am one of the last people I know without a cell phone... That is why the trimble option is good for me... I might be without power for a week in hunting camp... The Trimble 900l I had before would go all hunting season on one charge... The dell junk I had before that were always dead... mostly everytime you need them... The juno looks very interesting to me... can it be just a ballistic calculator with no phone hookup???

WOW that a high dollar Christmas tree you have there.... I am one of the last people I know without a cell phone... That is why the trimble option is good for me... I might be without power for a week in hunting camp... The Trimble 900l I had before would go all hunting season on one charge... The dell junk I had before that were always dead... mostly everytime you need them... The juno looks very interesting to me... can it be just a ballistic calculator with no phone hookup???

I don't have SIMM chip in mine and strictly use it for FFS and CB.

Run FFS on both a Nomad and Juno. The Juno screen is easier to read and more compact. Like the Nomad when its tethered to the PLRF 25. Run CB on the Juno as well.

Does the Juno have the BT option like the Nomad for use with the Kestrel? The Nomad works very well when plugged into the Vector IV, she'll read out to the 1/10 of a meter... I believe the newer Vectors have internal BT so it does away with the remote firing cable.

Don't get hung up on being able to pair a Kestrel to it; it works but its next to useless.

The enviromental data is key but can be input manually in like 15 seconds and then you just update it whenever a weather swing shows up while you're out shooting. The wind data will be totally wrong 90% of the time as it will only calculate the solution on wind at the shooter, which is obnoxious.