• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope covers to use in hunting situations?

slowr1der

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
VA
I'm looking for some quality scope covers to use on my SWFA SS 3-9x42 that's on my hunting rig. I currently have Butler Creek flip up caps on it that just aren't working for me. I love the look, feel, and style of them. The problem is they don't last for me. I broke the eye piece one right before the season started and after much arguing with Bushnell, I got them to replace it. I didn't have the receipt so they didn't want to replace it.

Anyway, I've been hunting for about 2 weeks with them, and sure enough, the new eye piece one broke again. The hinge breaks apart from the cap part. Then last Saturday while climbing into a stand with the objective cover up, the cover bumped the rail on the stand, not hard I should mention, and sure enough it cracked too. I've got some older sets of these Butler Creek covers I love and they seem to hold up, but these recent ones are junk, and I don't want to replace them every 2 weeks.

Are there any better tougher options out there that will hold up? I hate to run it without scope covers. I've tried it, and I end up getting my lens super dirty and have even had branches and what not scratch them on other scopes in the past.

Re: Best scope covers to use in hunting situations?

The new butler creek caps seem to be junk, I have ones from couple years ago and they are still going strong. I got a new set for a different scope and broke them right away. I just replaced them with a bikini scope cover for hunting season until I find a better fix.

Went through the same exercise as you. Keep breaking those cheap P.O.S. butlers.....

Went with a neoprene scope coat instead.

http://www.scopecoat.com/

At least this doesn't break.

The Large XP-6 Flak Jacket fits my SS 3-9 perfectly. Maybe not the ideal replacement for flip ups, but I haven't found anything else to my liking and this seemed worth a try. Happy with it so far.

I too seem unable to keep BCs on one piece for long, and this with just range transport. It seems that there would be a market for higher quality covers for high end scopes. Look forward to seeing if anyone has other suggestions.

normal bikinis. use a short cord and tie them to the base or something and won't loose them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new butler creek caps seem to be junk, I have ones from couple years ago and they are still going strong. I got a new set for a different scope and broke them right away. I just replaced them with a bikini scope cover for hunting season until I find a better fix. </div></div>This is my problem too.

That said, I'm going to check out some of those other options. Thanks guys. I really like flip ups, but it seems like there aren't really any quality sets that will fit these, at least not from what I've found.

I have had the same issue... the new ones on my nightforce that i bought broke the same way, the eyepiece hinge just broke. My old ones work great i bought a year or 2 ago. I guess on my nightforce it's ok since the whole eyepiece rotates and all i have to do is pop it off when i shoot - since my bikini cover won't fit under the front of my scope beteen the barrel and such.

i even had a clear eyepiece before that, from butler, and the clear lens fell right out after about 5 uses.

Man that sucks that BC went to crap. I have a pair that I have had for four years and they still work great, and a new pair I just got. I guess I'll have to keep the old ones on my new rig.

I really seems like someone else would start making these as BC flip up caps are pretty mainstream, they're basically a standard.

I just broke my 2nd set of BCs on my NF F1 during the Rifles Only class. I thought the 1st set was a fluke, but with the 2nd set breaking at the hinge...

I'm glad in a way to hear it's not just me. I've broken 2 at the hinge in the last month. First one broke under recoil of my 308 with a muzzle break. BANG, and there was the objective cover on the bench snapped off. I'm using rubber bikini covers now, not the most convenient but as everyone has noticed it's about the only other option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MP15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's another option - similar to scopecoat.

http://www.scopeshieldalaska.com/index.html

May have to try one of these and compare to my scopecoat. </div></div>I have heard a lot of great things about this company. I have one of these on the way. I will have to let you guys know how I like it when I receive it.