• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Night Vision Best thermal rifle scope

Thanx for lettin me join. What is a dependable,reliable, rugged thermal rifle scope that won’t break the bank ??

1599858156051.gif

You need to supply more information.
1) What type of terrain are you hunting in?
2) What will you mainly be using it for such as hogs, coyotes, etc?
3) What is the typical shot distance and what are the min and max ranges you wish to comfortably shoot?
4) What is your budget?

As a prostaffer for Night Goggles, I have used lots of thermals. With this information, I can provide some good recommendations.

Mostly
3) What is the typical shot distance and what are the min and max ranges you wish to comfortably shoot?
4) What is your budget?

As a prostaffer for Night Goggles, I have used lots of thermals. With this information, I can provide some good recommendations.
mostly
4) What is your budget?

bi
4) What is your budget?

hunting hogs in big pastures, shots anywhere from 20 yards to 300 yards and somewhere around $3000.00 +/-

300 yards may not seem like a long shot but for many thermal scopes it is. For the price you are talking, Bering Optics would be my choice for a thermal. The Flir PTS536 was mentioned earlier. It is no longer made and long term service is questionable. Pulsar does have some nice options but most of them will not be 3K or under. If you want to consistently feel comfortable to 300 yards, I would go with the Bering Optics Super Hogster. If you are looking for a thermal that can be used as a good scanner or scope and shoot to 200 yards comfortably, I would go with the Hogster-R 35. All Hogsters have a 4 year warranty.

hogster_comp.jpg

Here is a recent video of some Super Hogster thermal daytime coyote action. Keep in mind, night time videos will be much better as the heat difference will be much greater. For my state, the night hunting season is closed for a few more months.

Last edited:
300 yards may not seem like a long shot but for many thermal scopes it is. For the price you are talking, Bering Optics would be my choice for a thermal. The Flir PTS536 was mentioned earlier. It is no longer made and long term service is questionable. Pulsar does have some nice options but most of them will not be 3K or under. If you want to consistently feel comfortable to 300 yards, I would go with the Bering Optics Super Hogster. If you are looking for a thermal that can be used as a good scanner or scope and shoot to 200 yards comfortably, I would go with the Hogster-R 35. All Hogsters have a 4 year warranty.

View attachment 7421690

Here is a recent video of some Super Hogster thermal daytime coyote action. Keep in mind, night time videos will be much better as the heat difference will be much greater. For my state, the night hunting season is closed for a few more months.

I’ve heard a lot of good reviews on the hogster but can they keep up with heavy hunting and AR 10 recoil consistently ??

The following statement came from Bering Optics, "The Hogster is rated to hold peak shock acceleration (parallel and perpendicular impacts) up to 1000G which is about two times more than .308 recoil may produce."

It should be fine on an AR 10. I have mine on one but it is only a 22-250 AR 10

The following statement came from Bering Optics, "The Hogster is rated to hold peak shock acceleration (parallel and perpendicular impacts) up to 1000G which is about two times more than .308 recoil may produce."

It should be fine on an AR 10. I have mine on one but it is only a 22-250 AR 10
Ok thank u sir I’ll look into the hogster.