• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best tripod for leupold mark 4 spotting scope

Hi
The Slik and Sirui combo is a very good one
Slik is 10% off and all Sirui is 20% off on today's "flash" sale
We have the Cf634 and the Sirui on sale right now. Give me a call to discuss. We are here today until 5:00 eastern time

Joel
516-217-1000

Camera Land

I'm a photographer and videographer and I have a bunch of tripods and heads set up for all kinds of purposes. I set up a test with high end fluid heads, ball heads, geared heads, etc...manually milling targets at long range with the Mark IV TMR. I honestly thought the video fluid heads would win out, but it was no contest. A light geared head is the best setup for long range spotting/milling as it gives you the precision you need.

I would recommend either the Manfrotto Jr Geared Head (410) or the Benro 3 way geared head which is basically a clone of the Manfrotto. The Benro is quite a bit cheaper, but having compared them side by side they are almost identical in form and function.

For the tripod you want something fairly heavy duty. The lighter tripods I used simply moved too much if spotting from a standing position, so you need something capable of holding weight just for the stiffness. I settled on a Benro TAD28C which is carbon and is rated for 26.5 lbs (weighs 3.2 lbs). For half the price you can get the Aluminum version which is the TAD28A and weighs 4 lbs. Manfrotto also makes excellent tripods in this range, but they are more expensive.

Also if you get a 25+ lb capacity tripod you can also use it as a rifle tripod by just changing the head out.

thanks for the help and suggestions.
i was so frustrated using a spotting scope on a shaky crap tripod that would move the target out of frame if you tightened it.

Reactions: Kamerad
thanks for the help and suggestions.
i was so frustrated using a spotting scope on a shaky crap tripod that would move the target out of frame if you tightened it.
You read my mind! Bought a cheap vanguard just to get up and running, now I recognize the value of quality tripods.
This forum is a hell of a resource!

I use a benro b2 on a rt-80c. Built my own rifle clamp for it. Works great for spotting to whatever distance. Can use it standing up as well. Purchased a window clamp to use with the benro head so I can spot out of my window as well.

Last edited:
I got my mark IV, manfrotto tripod and manfrotto 222 ball head from a friend. Unfortunately I do no know the model number of the tripod but I am sure someone can identify it. The vertical manfrotto 222 ball head is great. This combo works perfect for a spotter sitting on something such as a chair (or anything else improvised with similar ergonomics).

I have used this to scout and I take it out hunting as well. Having a spotter when hunting long range is amazing compared to spotting with naked eye then using rifle scope for magnification. I use a phone scope and film through it too. The feet are perfect when bottom section is retracted and locked since the smaller diameter fits right through the holes/mesh style floor in my deer stand and when all 3 feet are stuck in a hole it's as stable as sitting on a completely flat surface if not more.

As far as the mount......I couldn't tell you but once again I am sure someone can identify what I am using. The remaining paint on the mount was applied by an individual who used it for work.

Attachments

• 20191210_211751.jpg
    20191210_211751.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20191210_211801.jpg
    20191210_211801.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20191210_211952.jpg
    20191210_211952.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 20171005_201042.jpg
    20171005_201042.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20171112_080120.jpg
    20171112_080120.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 92

Every couple months I contemplate buying one of those tripods from Tactical Tripod to use my spotter while prone shooting. But I already carry a full size tripod. The full size tripod when set for low ground use is a bit unwieldy when prone because of the legs getting in the way. I keep hemming and hawing on the purchase.

I'm a photographer and videographer and I have a bunch of tripods and heads set up for all kinds of purposes. I set up a test with high end fluid heads, ball heads, geared heads, etc...manually milling targets at long range with the Mark IV TMR. I honestly thought the video fluid heads would win out, but it was no contest. A light geared head is the best setup for long range spotting/milling as it gives you the precision you need.

I would recommend either the Manfrotto Jr Geared Head (410) or the Benro 3 way geared head which is basically a clone of the Manfrotto. The Benro is quite a bit cheaper, but having compared them side by side they are almost identical in form and function.

I thought the video fluid head would win out also. I'll have to give the geared head a try. I'm a photographer also so I normally don't like the geared head for I find them slow to switch from landscape to portrait or vice versa. Seems like I need a different tripod and a different head for different applications. I need a support vehicle and Sherpas to carry all my extra gear!

Every couple months I contemplate buying one of those tripods from Tactical Tripod to use my spotter while prone shooting. But I already carry a full size tripod. The full size tripod when set for low ground use is a bit unwieldy when prone because of the legs getting in the way. I keep hemming and hawing on the purchase.
I am interested in this product as well. Anybody have any first hand feedback for the Tactical Tripod?

I have the 410 jr, and its heavy as shit. Mounted on my Slik 700dx, i could probably bludgeon a cow to death with it.

Do you have any experience with the Manfrotto XPRO geared head?

Its polymer and weighs half as much as the 410 jr. I've been trying to talk myself into ordering one to try out.

I have the Leupold Mark 4 20-60. We typically shoot from one location with targets ranging from 100-2000.

I use an older version of this tripod. Very sturdy. i used the ballhead for a couple of years and then switch to a Manfrotto Junior geared head. They had them on sale for $185. It is very stable and I really like adjusting to the next target. Much easier than a ball head. for my use.

Hit reply accidentally.

I first switched to the XPRO and liked it but when the Junior 410 went on sale for $30 more., I couldn't help but upgrade. Weight is not a concern for me so i like the heavier head. The xpro grip lever releases were actually a bit quicker to use and was still pretty steady.

Reactions: ken226
Sirui makes some great options. They have a lot of great kits with the VA5 head, which is considered one of the best Fluid heads on the market. They also have some kits with their ball heads, which are 2nd to none

As a bonus for members here we are giving 20% off on all Sirui heads and tripods thru the end of April to go along with their rebate program

Give me a call to discuss your tripod needs
Joel
516-217-1000

Hit reply accidentally.

I first switched to the XPRO and liked it but when the Junior 410 went on sale for $30 more., I couldn't help but upgrade. Weight is not a concern for me so i like the heavier head. The xpro grip lever releases were actually a bit quicker to use and was still pretty steady.
I use a xpro geared years and manfrotto 290extra tripod.
Works well for the $$$$

My biggest bitch about my 410 Jr is the force needed to turn the knobs.

It's hard enough that when I'm trying to align the reticle with something, the force causes flexing / movement in the tripod/mount. It's mildly annoying.

For example, If I turn a knob slowly to position the vertical line along the edge of a target, because of how hard I'm having to twist the knob the tripod flexes a little, so then I get the reticle aligned, and the moment I stop twisting and let go, the tripod un-flexes and the reticle moves.

If I'm guessing, it takes about 8-10 inch lbs to turn the 410 Jr knobs.

How much force is needed to turn the knobs on the Xpro?

I couldn’t say but it’s not hard.
the tripod does move around a bit when fiddling with them but it doesn’t bother me.

You should try a bad ass tripod and an Arca Swiss Cube, should solve that issue.

Reactions: ken226