• Today we celebrate America. Happy 4th!

Thank you to all the vets and Americans out there and if you were a vet, share your stories below! We're also offering a 15% discount on all subscriptions with code AMERICA24

Share your story Subscribe

Best tripod for Swaro BTX 95mm?

• Thread starter Deleted member 137765
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137765

Decided to pay the weight penalty for my AZ deer hunt but am told my SLIK 624 isn't sufficient for the new big glass. Looking for something that is compact (I sit when glassing so I don't need a tall one) suitable for my backpack (prefer carbon). Must lock down securely, prefer quick snap attachment of spotter to tripod and has a shoulder strap so I can move with spotter and tripod to different locations. Recommendations?

PS: If it can double for use with my SLC 15X56 binos, that's a plus.

Really Right Stuff TVC-23 legs with a leveling base. If you feel like carrying some more weight, then the 33 legs are worth considering. Then, your choice of head would be dependent upon your preferred style. RRS Fluid head is crazy good... but heavy. The BH-40 is passable... and lightweight enough. My go-to primary setup is the TVC-23 with BH-40 qd plate setup. I have an Swarovski brand arca-style balance rail on my BTX 95's, so it clips right into the RRS QD lever lock on the ball head. Works pretty well, and is light enough to pack easily.

I am finding the ball head cumbersome however, so I'm switching to a geared head. I ordered an arca swiss C1 cube geared head which should be here in a couple days. I'm hoping that will bring me spotter bliss. That head should significantly improve my experience with vectronix LRF's when on a tripod as well.

$1,500.00 for a tripod & head?!!! OMG!

Swaro BTX 95 is easily $4000 worth of kit... whats the issue with having a proper tripod for it? lol

It's like everything else. The prices are scary at first... but once you get some time with the quality gear you realize why it's priced that way. It's simply the best, and is worth every penny. I've had guys next to my RRS setup with their budget manfroto or other consumer level stuff. When they have a chance to try my stuff out they immediately regret spending half or in some cases 3/4 the money that could have purchased the RRS.

Were I you, I'd skip the ball heads all together and go to the RRS fluid head or a geared head of your choosing. The manfroto 405 isn't too bad on the cheap side, around $500. If you don't take care of it gingerly or if you use it a lot, you can forget about using it on an LRF due to the slop it will have when even moderately worn in. Arca swiss has some really nice ones, and Linhof is about as extravagant as they come, with a $2000 price tag to match.

Ball heads are a joke for good spotting scopes. The manfroto 410 gear head is awesome to use with my str80 and my vector. Get a couple quick attach plates and leave them on the optics. Currently run a pig Tripod is like to try their carbon fiber unit some day maybe.

I completely agree with @orkan and @northern50 on skipping ball heads unless you absolutely require dual purpose (shooting and spotting) in one head.They are simply not ideal for spotting. This includes the Anvil30.

Geared heads are amazingly precise. As such I found them great for perfectly aligning my spotter reticle and LRF. I still use the geared head on occasion with the LRF, but for general spotting I found the wheels too unnatural and annoying for large or frequent movements. Also the precision was completely unnecessary for my general spotting needs.

I have now settled on fluid heads as the best compromise for most of my spotting needs. So natural in use and very easy to make adjustments with. If you can live with the fact they're generally a bit bulkier this might be the best choice to fulfill your hunting/glassing needs as well.

Reactions: Wyzrd
I have a BTX 95 combo too arriving at my door step tomorrow with the balance beam. I want a RRS tripod. For now, I’ll use what I have now. That mainly use for my photography. Manfrotto 055 carbon. with 502 head. Look at the 190 series too if you want compact. They fold to 17” and has a capacity of 19lbs if I remember. Though a RRS is on my list.

I run my BTX 95 on a RRS TVC-33 with a RRS TA-3 Leveling base. I also use the same setup for the SLC 15x56 HD binos with an Outdoorsmans mount.

For the tripod plate on the BTX, I like the RRS L84 or L85 plate. Put the anti-twist bar on the front with the plate pointed backwards. Then you can clamp it off center closer to the eye piece near the balance point. Super solid.

If the wind is blowing it can create vibration that impedes your ability to see clearly, so every bit of rigity that you can get is worthwhile.

Reactions: Wyzrd and Rhed
Turns out the SLIK 624CF works fine when the scope is mounted to the Manfrotto 410JR head. I can slowly sweep hosizontally & vertically using the knobs and the BTX w/ 95mm objective balances just fine...even in wind! Sure glad I listened to the Jeff & Joel at Cameraland. Great price, fast delivery and wonderful customer care. They set the bar so high other vendors need this spotter just to see it.

MONFROTTO.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wyzrd and NVScout
When I look at the comparison (linked above) I don't see a measurable difference between the two heads except those I mentioned. Am I missing something?

When you replied "Twice the price without any benefit huh? Yeah, the world really doesn't work like that." to the post above comparing Manfrotto heads, it kinda suggested you were referring to Manfrotto. Clearly you were not...wasn't obvious. Moving on now...

I’ve been super happy with the Promaster 525 carbon from Cameraland. I use a SWARO balance plate for the BTX to keep the panning swing to a minimum. I never spot from more than sitting height and usually sitting on the ground. This tripod is perfectly fine for the BTX/95 combo while sitting in a chair. Use it with a glassing pad and the ATX/85 with legs splayed out and one center section extended. Getting ARCA plates this week for my rifles and if it’s adequate for shooting I’m gonna buy another one.

GoHunt sells some pretty sweet bino mounts that bolt to an arca plate

RRS sure makes nice stuff but too heavy for hunting and hiking IMO. Woils be nice to get some info on the new model Phil Velayo is pimping on IG

Reactions: Wyzrd
Why? It's bulkier, heavier and twice the price without any benefit over those the 410JR provides.

Originally purchased a 410 for use with a Henny Spotter with a co-witnessed IRF. The 410 did not track smoothly and was difficult to align the reticle on targets at ELR distances. Agree the 405 is heavier but worked better for my particular application.