• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Best upgrades to a Harris bipod.

First & foremost by miles, put a KMW PodLoc on it.

Second would be an adapter to mount the bipod to a picatinny or ARCA rail. The sling stud mount can be ok, but a rail mount is much more solid. I like the RRS HC-Pro.

I have both Harris and Atlas bipods. I use both in matches depending on the prop of the moment. Sometimes the narrower footprint or slap-fold capability of the Harris is very useful, and the PodLoc and RRS adapter lock the tilt and mount the bipod solidly. The Atlas BT65-NC bipod with RRS BTC-Pro ARCA/picatinny adapter has its applications as well.

EDIT: Beware "advice" from people who simply shit on gear they they don't like instead of describing whys and wherefores. There are crap-tons of threads about the differences between Harris and Atlas (the two most common brands) and the upscale models from MDT, TBAC, etc. And in every one of them the same people take their dump and offer nothing more.

Last edited:
Made a couple upgrades to mine...

Before:
7918D295-40A8-483B-926B-99D01ADCA9C0.jpeg

After:
5CC33620-F3E3-4008-B22B-7788858395C1.jpeg

allows the use of Atlas Bipod Feet.

I use the Hawk Hill Bipod Talons, really well made and effective.

Pod loc is a must have, KMW is the original and best.

IMG_4427 (2).jpg

I would write down the total cost of the upgrades to the Harris. Mainly the QD adapter for atlas feet, QD rail adapter and KMW pod loc

Then I would search what you can get for the Harris used.

After that check price for the Atlas Cal Gen II. The Cal comes with the QD rail mount, pod loc etc. basically set up perfect as is

Then see what the difference in $$ will be to upgrade to an atlas.

The Atlas is a better bipod and I suggest just buying that vs tricking out the Harris.

Harris is still a Harris and the atlas is a better and more squared bipod.

I own 5 Harris and 1 Atlas Cal Gen II. 2 of my Harris (6-9 and 9-13) have all the goodies. Aftermarket feet, pod loc etc. Atlas to me is worth the cost over the Harris

Just something to consider

allows the use of Atlas Bipod Feet.

I use the Hawk Hill Bipod Talons, really well made and effective.

Pod loc is a must have, KMW is the original and best.

View attachment 7563367
Those are the feet that I am looking at as well. Any issues?

I would write down the total cost of the upgrades to the Harris. Mainly the QD adapter for atlas feet, QD rail adapter and KMW pod loc

After that check price for the Atlas Cal Gen II. The Cal comes with the QD rail mount, pod loc etc. basically set up perfect as is

The Atlas is a better bipod and I suggest just buying that vs tricking out the Harris.

I own 5 Harris and 1 Atlas Cal Gen II. 2 of my Harris (6-9 and 9-13) have all the goodies. Aftermarket feet, pod loc etc. Atlas to me is worth the cost over the Harris

I am definitely going to be looking into the cost difference, thank you for the information.

Spot on advice.

I have both Harris and Atlas CAL bipods. The Atlas is nicer and more stable and worth the price IMO.

The Harris is a good piece of kit with the KMW Pod-Lock lever and a RRS HC-Pro clamp. I've had more tricked out versions (foot conversion, leg extensions, spiked feet, etc) but have since sold those, added the Atlas and kept one basic Harris as a simple, quick-deploy bipod. If you're going to put any more money into a Harris than the lever and clamp I'd jump up to the Atlas.

Both are perfectly capable bipods. The Atlas is nicer but don't let the hyperbole of the forums here make you think that the Harris is garbage.

I am definitely going to be looking into the cost difference, thank you for the information.

Now this isn’t saying the Harris doesn’t work. I’ve shot a lot with the Harris and a ton of great groups with it. But after owning the atlas the only thing the Harris does slightly better is a faster deployment if that matters to you.

For me the issues I have had with Harris are:

- Bipod loosening during shooting sessions (with standard stud mount)

- Bipod ripping the stud from the rifle stock (HS stock)

- Bipod collapsed when pulling back a heavier rifle with spikes on the Harris feet

- 1 bolt holding the leg on came loose and the leg twisted. This was during a hunt and was able to fix in the field because I found the nut. But my gun landing in the dirt wasn’t a great feeling

All that said my Harris pods have a ton of hours compared to my atlas.

I’m assuming your Harris has the leg notches. If not then I wouldn’t even bother with the upgrades personally

Yes it has the leg notches, there was no way that I would have bought one with out them. But it seems clear that I need to just invest in a harris. What is everyones opinion on a longer bipod like a 12-25"?

Yes it has the leg notches, there was no way that I would have bought one with out them. But it seems clear that I need to just invest in a harris. What is everyones opinion on a longer bipod like a 12-25"?

I have 2 of the longer Harris pods. 13-27 I think is what they are. One is the earliest model. No leg notches, no swivel etc. The other has swivel and pod loc. I used the swivel for a lot of hunting. Worked decent.

Currently I run all rifles off a tripod with arca rail attachments. I prefer the tripod by a large margin to the bipod but that’s a whole other discussion.

The Harris works well for carrying a rifle a decent distance while hunting. With my size I can shoot from both prone and sitting positions with the 13-27” models

Reactions: BigTy313

If you're looking for a taller bipod, I would recommend buying the standard Atlas CAL and then making your own leg extensions with 1/2" diameter oak dowel.

It sounds like some sort of hack, but it is actually super stable. You sand down one end so it is a tight fit into the Atlas foot receiver, then sand/whittle a point on the other end. The benefit is that when you force fit the dowel into the leg there is no flex or movement (unlike a QD foot or leg extension). Not to mention it's also lighter and much cheaper.

The set I made is 7" long, and it matches nicely with the standard Atlas with the height picking up right at the top end of the standard range and then going up to about 15" when the legs are fully extended. Obviously you can make a set of them as tall as you want.

Paint them black and they look completely normal.

Reactions: st1650
Those are the feet that I am looking at as well. Any issues?

I don't have these specific ones, i have the CORE shooting solutions PASS adapters. Do the same job though and no issues, actually improve the bipod considerably by adding a small amount of slack into the system which makes loading more forgiving in a pinch

I have 2 of the longer Harris pods. 13-27 I think is what they are. One is the earliest model. No leg notches, no swivel etc. The other has swivel and pod loc. I used the swivel for a lot of hunting. Worked decent.

Currently I run all rifles off a tripod with arca rail attachments. I prefer the tripod by a large margin to the bipod but that’s a whole other discussion.

The Harris works well for carrying a rifle a decent distance while hunting. With my size I can shoot from both prone and sitting positions with the 13-27” models
Great information thank you.

How do you guys keep the feet on your Atlas bipods from twisting? I can't seem to tighten it enough that it doesn't want to "walk" after a few shots and one leg gets out in front of the other?

OP, I think podlok and arcarail mount are good upgrades for Harris.

How do you guys keep the feet on your Atlas bipods from twisting? I can't seem to tighten it enough that it doesn't want to "walk" after a few shots and one leg gets out in front of the other?

OP, I think podlok and arcarail mount are good upgrades for Harris.
Guessing your referring to the bt10? The feet rotate on those. The Atlas Cal they don’t rotate

Hafedjd30, I thought I have BT46-17, but my bipod does rotate. Both feet rotate around mounting point. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the reply.

Hafedjd30, I thought I have BT46-17, but my bipod does rotate. Both feet rotate around mounting point. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the reply.
From a few years ago but compared the two. The 46 has a grove in the leg to prevent rotation