• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Maggie’s Best way to cook Jaternice?

Had to google it.

A pork sausage common in Czechoslovakia that is made in the manner of traditional meats produced from this country. Also referred to as white jets, liver sausage or ring pudding sausage, a Jaternice Sausage is typically made from pork liver, pork snouts and/or jowls that are ground together with spices and cereal. White or wild rice may be added in addition to cereal as a filler and flavoring. Jaternice Sausage is a popular food with Bohemians which is often prepared for a dinner item that may be accompanied with sauerkraut or potatoes and various vegetables.

Boiled then grilled might work. Not being Bohemian, eating it would be the hard part.

Had to google it.

A pork sausage common in Czechoslovakia that is made in the manner of traditional meats produced from this country. Also referred to as white jets, liver sausage or ring pudding sausage, a Jaternice Sausage is typically made from pork liver, pork snouts and/or jowls that are ground together with spices and cereal. White or wild rice may be added in addition to cereal as a filler and flavoring. Jaternice Sausage is a popular food with Bohemians which is often prepared for a dinner item that may be accompanied with sauerkraut or potatoes and various vegetables.

Boiled then grilled might work. Not being Bohemian, eating it would be the hard part.
I hadn’t had it in forever. My grandpa used to make it for me for breakfast when I was a kid. Seems as though it was never in sausage form though.

I'm wanting to track down a decent Csabai recipe, which is a Hungarian sausage that can also be hot. I'm definitely wanting the hot one, if this is going to turn out to be a 'sausage making' thread. :D

Typical campfire type 'Smokies' is something we'd like to attempt making, too. All of our charcouterie equipment has been put away for over a year, and it's almost time to start digging it out again.

Back at cattleman. The sausage you talk about sounds similar to Boudin made in Louisiana. Just not sure about the spice mix. I have made a Nebraska version of boudin and instead of using pork liver and other nasties, I just grind a pork butt as the replacement. Pork butts are a possible answer instead of snouts and liver unless you are looking for the authentic Jaternice.

Back at cattleman. The sausage you talk about sounds similar to Boudin made in Louisiana. Just not sure about the spice mix. I have made a Nebraska version of boudin and instead of using pork liver and other nasties, I just grind a pork butt as the replacement. Pork butts are a possible answer instead of snouts and liver unless you are looking for the authentic Jaternice.
That would be something to consider for sure. I know some of the Czechs around here use Lamb too.

Yes, we stayed at a B&B at the Pennsylvania state trap shoot and the owner served it as a side dish one morning. It wasn't terrible but strange tasting sort of too rich and too spicy I couldn't eat but a bite.
It’s a little different. I used to eat it for breakfast just about every morning as a kid. Haven’t had it for a long while though

Appalachia Hillbilly Style:

Livermush. The mention of the word brings to mind one of two things: a versatile meat, served primarily for breakfast, or a response of, "I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds really gross." Whoever named the dish wasn't doing it any favors. Neither "liver" nor "mush" conjures up a good meal for most people. And let's face it, it really doesn't look that appetizing. When the ingredients list consists of "pork liver and head parts" and the name literally consists of the word "mush," there must be some good reason this food has thrived, right?

Livermush is such a part of the North Carolina culture that there's an entire festival devoted to it. "Mush, Music, and Mutts," (or, simply "the livermush festival" as locals know it) is generally held in October in the town of Shelby (but you'll also find smaller livermush festivals in the towns of Drexel and Marion).

What Is Livermush?

Primarily consisting of ingredients like pig liver and cornmeal, and generally seasoned with sage and black pepper, livermush is all formed together in a rectangular loaf. It's really just made up of what's left of the pig after the good parts are taken and used. It's not far from scrapple that you would find in Mid-Atlantic states like Pennsylvania and Delaware. The only difference is scrapple has a little less cornmeal and a different amount of liver (scrapple could have more, less, or even no liver at all).

As the name implies, liver is a required part of livermush. You'll only find livermush in North Carolina and now and then in South Carolina and Virginia.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/north-carolina-livermush-4135713

66d974d9cc5eea081b81cb5fa522c4a6.jpg

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
I enjoy eating liver. I like liverwurst, and have eaten headcheese. The only thing that doesn't sound good is the mixing of cornmeal rice or cereal in it.

I always wondered how the first conversation went with some of these things like sausage. "We got all this meat left over, let's shove it in the animals asshole and eat it later".

I grew up on jaternice and jelita having a Czech mother. I put them in a cast iron pan with about half an inch of water. Just cook them like that until the innards are trying to come out of the casing. Good stuff!

My dad makes it and we pull it out of the casing and fry it in a cast iron pan till crispy or we also eat it cold and raw on crackers as it’s all precooked. If it’s made right it’s really good. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

In our home in the late 1940's, 1950's, we made a Swedish concoction (called Silta) made from boiled pig feet, and some lesser cuts. My Swedish Grandmother was literally The Swedish Chef. I realize the above ingredients and the linked recipe are very different, work with me here...; pig's feet are a lot more available than pig's head.

It got boiled until it was very soft and there was a lot of gelatin (and maybe some added), also some pickles. Panned and refrigerated, it was sliced and eaten on bread cold, a la head cheese.

It was heavenly.

Greg

Last edited: