• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Bipod/Bag Placement vs. Impact Q?

Grump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2008
So. Utah
I'm using a bag/rucksack on an M1A and am wondering about going to a bipod so long as I can still remove it (internal modifications only) for Service Rifle competitions.

With a 10-11-lb rifle system, anyone see any predictable trends or quantifiable differences in point of impact based on how far out the stock the bag or bipod is used?

I'm also interested in the driving the rifle and keeping the target in view through recoil factor. Since I'm not shooting a 15+ pound pig, I do tend to lose the target if zoomed above 10X. So, I'm also wondering if the rifle pivots off of the line of sight more with the bag or 'pod closer to the trigger or closer to the muzzle.

Gathering info BEFORE I go out and shoot the crap out of the rifle this season...

Thanks!

Re: Bipod/Bag Placement vs. Impact Q?

You want it as close to the end of the forend as possible.

I think they make a mount that attaches to the gas tube on the end of the forend, so you could remove it when you need it back to stock.

Re: Bipod/Bag Placement vs. Impact Q?

I just had a gunsmith install a harris stud on my McMillan stocked M1A and I like it better. I use a rear sock with it, and like it better than shooting off a ruck sack. With a Blackhawk patrol bag it was too high even when empty to use the rear sock for quick adjustments when firing at multiple targets at multiple ranges. Get a Harris bibod preferably BR-S model 6-9 and you will be happier.