• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Bipods for prone shooting

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2020
What height bipod would you choose for prone shooting?

I just got a 6-9 and it seems comfortable enough but I notice it makes shooting at an up or down angle a bit challenging, but I think anything more might make me go a bit too high for comfort.

What do you think?

I have an assortment of different bipods for varied shooting conditions and attachment methods.
Like many here I'm sure i have used and still have several of the Harris bipods of various models and heights and they do pretty good for most scenarios but are dated and somewhat lacking compared to the more modern designs but they get the job done.
My personal favorite to date is the Atlas PSR BT46-LW17 for it's ease of swapping between rifles and especially the 45° forward or aft locking position for the legs for exactly what you described shooting up or downhill makes it very functional and user friendly.
There are however several other bipods of similar design that may be better I just haven't used or owned any of them them.

I've actually had the chance to get prone on game a couple of times, and will second the 13" statement above. For target practice off of freshly cut grass or concrete/gravel, the 6-9 is fine as long as you don't have any kind of vegetation in the way.

Most of my Prone target shooting is covered easily by my Accu-Tac WB-4, or Atlas BT65 (with legs extended).

What height bipod would you choose for prone shooting?

I just got a 6-9 and it seems comfortable enough but I notice it makes shooting at an up or down angle a bit challenging, but I think anything more might make me go a bit too high for comfort.

What do you think?

Angle shooting is a different game than flat prone. How much angle shooting do you do? If it's once in a while then there are ways like toss a pack under your bipod that can band aid the issue. If you shoot angled a lot then get a new bipod. There are many out there now with legs that can angle multiple ways allowing for lower and higher positions. All comes down to how much you want to spend.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I have a couple Atlas bipods that are my favorites for most shooting. They’re simple lightweight, compact, and steady. Recently I got an Odin Works Prizm bipod. They’re expensive but they have more options and a lot bigger range of adjustments. The legs extend as well as lock forward and back at 90 and 45 degrees but they also have three width adjustments that increase its height adjustment range dramatically

Angle shooting is a different game than flat prone. How much angle shooting do you do? If it's once in a while then there are ways like toss a pack under your bipod that can band aid the issue. If you shoot angled a lot then get a new bipod. There are many out there now with legs that can angle multiple ways allowing for lower and higher positions. All comes down to how much you want to spend.
This.
Keep in mind that if you have done a lot of positional shooting practice, you know that a tall support at the front of the forend and using body support at the butt is not an easy setup to be super precise with. Tripod rear requires a pretty expensive (tall) bipod, assuming vegetation and topography require the height. Tripod w/bag or glove support at the Center of the rifle puts it all back to barricade bench rest, which can easily be super solid. I realize this seems to go beyond the original question, but I have spent a lot of $$$ “saving” a few $ at a time, only to end up with gear and expense duplication because no one told me this stuff.

Reactions: ma smith
I like the Atlas CAL and they make 3" leg extensions that can be added or removed as necessary. I don't use them often but it will get you another 3" without always having some high rise bipod on your gun. Just my thought but I'm not a PRS shooter at 72 and never will be.

They did come in handy shooting in a SH clinic at Mifflin in PA where from...oh, 600 on out the targets go steeply uphill. The extensions weren't even enough so I built a couple of these for me and my friend...but no, prob won't fit in your pack for PRS! haha

1727103504894.jpeg

1727103458238.jpeg

Reactions: Rob01
I have Harris, Atlas, MDT, and really it comes down to your use, as indicated in previous comments. Bench guns get the Atlas Super CAL because I am usually in load development and also used for belly 1000yd guns that beast keeps things steady. Harris are a good field bipod with the 9-13, but too tall for bench use. I typically place a 9-13" bipod on a gator hood, truck hood, stump, something to keep up over the vegetation when hunting. The MDT GRND-POD is light, has more adjustability than the Harris, feel flimsy until you weight it and then it's solid. With all this said, I do think the MDT double and triple pulls might be the best multi-use field bipod out right now. I sure want to try one.

I like the Atlas CAL and they make 3" leg extensions that can be added or removed as necessary. I don't use them often but it will get you another 3" without always having some high rise bipod on your gun. Just my thought but I'm not a PRS shooter at 72 and never will be.

They did come in handy shooting in a SH clinic at Mifflin in PA where from...oh, 600 on out the targets go steeply uphill. The extensions weren't even enough so I built a couple of these for me and my friend...but no, prob won't fit in your pack for PRS! haha

View attachment 8508255

View attachment 8508254
Welp, I know what I'm building today! Those look pretty slick. Nice idea.

Reactions: Baron23
The Harris bipods aren't very versatile, as you are finding out.

The next jump up would be an Atlas. Better built, more height availability, plus you have angle adjustments available. MDT GRND-POD seems similar, though I have no experience with it.

If you want more versatility, there's the Ckye-Pod from MDT. There's no better field bipod. They are pricey though, and likely not worth it unless you need the features they offer. Lots of height, and angle adjustments as well.

The TBAC bipod looks like a great high quality general purpose bipod, if you can spend the $ but don't need quite the adjustments of a Ckye-pod. I don't currently have one, but if I had the means, I would likely replace my Atlas bipods with them.

Reactions: mmlook

The next jump up would be an Atlas. Better built, more height availability, plus you have angle adjustments available. MDT GRND-POD seems similar, though I have no experience with it.

If you want more versatility, there's the Ckye-Pod from MDT. There's no better field bipod. They are pricey though, and likely not worth it unless you need the features they offer. Lots of height, and angle adjustments as well.

The TBAC bipod looks like a great high quality general purpose bipod, if you can spend the $ but don't need quite the adjustments of a Ckye-pod. I don't currently have one, but if I had the means, I would likely replace my Atlas bipods with them.
I just have a cheapie right now, I wasn’t sure what I would need so didn’t want to spend much until I figured it out. It’s a Blackhawk Traverse Track. Basically just a Harris knock off but with some traverse built in, seems to work well enough bit very basic, legs only have two angles, deployed and stowed lol. Not bad for about $45 though. I intend to upgrade that, it was just a bandaid/experiment until I figured out what I wanted because I’ve never actually used a traditional bipod before, closest I had was a grip pod on an AR. I think it would work well if you were just shooting from a bench though.

I also added a short Arca rail so I can use a tripod, though I have yet to actually get a tripod though. I found a decent cheap (ish) one on Amazon though for about $180 that looks like it will do the job for what I need though, still thinking about it. Might pick it up in a couple of weeks or might wait, depends.

Reactions: kthomas

TBAC is definitely one of the best prone and light positional bipods out there

super stable, no wobble, tight tolerances, and smooth adjustments

definitely worth the money over an atlas or harris for prone/bench shooting

I just have a cheapie right now, I wasn’t sure what I would need so didn’t want to spend much until I figured it out. It’s a Blackhawk Traverse Track. Basically just a Harris knock off but with some traverse built in, seems to work well enough bit very basic, legs only have two angles, deployed and stowed lol. Not bad for about $45 though. I intend to upgrade that, it was just a bandaid/experiment until I figured out what I wanted because I’ve never actually used a traditional bipod before, closest I had was a grip pod on an AR. I think it would work well if you were just shooting from a bench though.

I also added a short Arca rail so I can use a tripod, though I have yet to actually get a tripod though. I found a decent cheap (ish) one on Amazon though for about $180 that looks like it will do the job for what I need though, still thinking about it. Might pick it up in a couple of weeks or might wait, depends.

If you're looking for the next step-up from what you have, that offers a bit more versatility without completely breaking the bank, I think the Atlas or MDT GRND-POD are good options for you.

TBAC is definitely one of the best prone and light positional bipods out there

super stable, no wobble, tight tolerances, and smooth adjustments

definitely worth the money over an atlas or harris for prone/bench shooting

They look quality, and have some nice features to them. I'll likely replace my Atlas bipods in the future with them.

Reactions: Holliday and mmlook

View attachment 8508255

View attachment 8508254

Yup have shot a bunch of matches at Mifflin and used to use our packs under out bipods and then I got a 9-13" and then we got some tripods we used like below. This was before the nice concrete. LOL

54172_1449831253777_3564359_o.jpg

Reactions: Baron23
I rarely have a shot in the field around here where anything less than 13" is usable.
The last hog I killed I shot prone at just under 100 yards with a 22wm.
Thier eysite isn't that good and was patrolling a ranch with the owner shooting the shit and listening to tall tales and stories from a good old guy about 40 years my senior.
But I had a clear line of site laying in the road in front of the vehicle and the pigs were in the road as well when I had the opportunity to shoot.
If I would have had anything else but the 22wm I would have shot the big boar instead of the sow he was following.
But yeah your right most field scenarios require a tripod not a bipod to be truly useful.