• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Blackhorn 209 loads?

DeathBeforeDismount

Hey, give your balls a tug.
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
IN YOUR HEAD
I have a new unfired CVA paramount pro in .45 cal, a bunch of .45 cal ELR bullets and a lb of Blackhorn 209.

Anyone have some good starting loads? This powder was expensive as shit so I dont want to waste any.

Thanks!

105gr by weight over a 210M primer launching a 285gr Powerbelt worked great for me. I swapped it for a .50 when I got a muzzleloader elk tag, but it was around 0.85". Don't recall the velocity I was getting exactly but it was plenty (2400+). I will look and see if I have it recorded somewhere. I gave the data to the guy that bought it.

I love that gun, it's awesome.

Reactions: DeathBeforeDismount
105gr by weight over a 210M primer launching a 285gr Powerbelt worked great for me. I swapped it for a .50 when I got a muzzleloader elk tag, but it was around 0.85". Don't recall the velocity I was getting exactly but it was plenty (2400+). I will look and see if I have it recorded somewhere. I gave the data to the guy that bought it.

I love that gun, it's awesome.
What kind of range is realistic with these? Going to be shot from a tripod and prone over a 700 yard field.

Shit...I was dropping them in at 500 all day with the diopter sight, we can't use optics or artificial illumination in CO for "primitive means." It's gonna be going pretty slow but it's also a heavy projo. I shot a pretty good sized cow elk with the .50 330gr at 405-ish and it stuck in the (shattered) far shoulder and dropped her right to the ground. If you can use optics where you are you aren't giving up much to a rifle other than follow-up shots. I haven't gone past 500 but there are a lot of reports at 600+ so you should be in the ballpark. It definitely opened up a bit after 300 but I chalk that up to losing resolution on the sights that far out. Mechanically I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with a decent optic.

• Love
Reactions: DeathBeforeDismount
Ok cool. It has a vortex LHD 4-22 Razor on it, so the limit is really the range of the bullet/speed.

Its Eastern White tail, so wont take much to kill them.

Alot of guys are running smokeless muzzle loaders out here, and they are basically single shot rifles so taking a 6-700 yard shot is not an issue at all if you have the skills. I just wan't sure what to expect with the Blackhorn and Powerbelt ELR bullets (285 gr 45 cal)

Blackhorn 209 is measured out by VOLUME not weight. 120 grains by weight is a max load by volume. I’ve been shooting BH for along time, it is much more consistent and reliable than any of the pellet types.

Blackhorn 209 is measured out by VOLUME not weight. 120 grains by weight is a max load by volume. I’ve been shooting BH for along time, it is much more consistent and reliable than any of the pellet types.
It’s very important to be sure if the load data you are using is volume or weight, as the difference is substantial.
That said, BH 209 is more consistent by weight than volume and nearly all LR shooters using it are charging by weight not volume.
Their is load data for both so definitely double check your source before using anyone else’s data.

Reactions: Pre64 and Haney
You can absolutely use weight, and as noted it’s more consistent.

I got a lot of variability in velocity with the 215s for whatever reason. I got good ignition with the 210s and it solved my velocity woes.

Reactions: Ghost231 and Haney
Also hold those volumetric charge tubes up and see where the lines are...probably not all in the same place. I know guys that use a "master tube" filled from a powder drop, and then fill the other tubes from that tube for consistency.

It only goes wrong when you mix up volumetric data for weight or vice versa.

Reactions: Modoc
Powerbelts suck. The only benefit is easy loading, but there are tons of bullets out there now you can get to load easy if you buy a specific size or buy a sizing die and actually fit them to your bore.

The powebelts don't expand at all in my experience, and have heard the same from lots of other guys.

No reason to not shoot the same thing all those smokeless guys are using. Thors, maybe?

Reactions: Modoc
I love this, my only issue is the difference between Swiss and Goex. Shoot REAL powder and ignore the rest.

My biggest problem has been finding the best Sabot to use with Hammers for a 1:48” twist (TC Hawken Flint & Percussion).

The bigger problem is that the “modern” powders don’t like flint lock ignition.