• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Bluetooth lock for bank vault?

Marplot

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2024
Atlanta GA
I have a full size bank vault and I want to install a bluetooth lock. I have an external keypad that can open the vault, but I am concerned that a burglar could destroy the external keypad trying to open my door and then I would be unable to open it later.

I would like to have an internal bluetooth lock that could open the door with my iPhone. The Vault door is about 14 inches thick.

I do have a good alarm system, but it might take time for police to come and the vault keypad could be damaged in the mean time

I would rather slam my nuts in the door of that vault than have to depend upon a Bluetooth device.

Most electronic locks have a rudimentary interface between the keypad and the locking mechanism. In the event of a bungled burglary, a competent locksmith would likely be able to get you access with a minimal amount of hassle. But there are options such as the Liberty smart lock:

Note that this isn't a "pure" Bluetooth device, but rather a hybrid that involves an intermediate "hub" and a WiFi connection.

Also note that you can't just bury wireless components inside the safe - it works pretty damn well as a Faraday cage, and so there will need to be some portion of the system that resides on the exterior. This isn't going to address your concern about vandalism.

Alright... I'mma be that guy.....

If you spent the money on a vault door, then spend the time to properly lock it and secure the contents of the vault. *WITHOUT* Bluetooth.
Manual dial. Nothing electronic. Zero. Hijacking bluetooth literally takes seconds.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Part of job is servicing older GSA containers with mechanical locks. While I don't work with the newer electronic locks, I am familiar with them and some of their issues.

You couldn't get me to use any of them on my personal stuff.

Get a S&G 8500 series lock or 2 installed. If you need a safe and vault tech referral in your area pm me.