BOLT FACE QUESTION

bgedeon

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2011
I have a 'claw extractor' type of casing ejector and this is a very accurate rifle (in 308) even out to 1,000 yards. I also have a Sig Sauer Tactical 2 Blaser in 338 Lapua. Now this rifle has a spring loaded 'button' on the bolt face that puts pressure on the cartridge (even when it's chambered) and I'm sure that causes the casing to shift slightly from off center. Has anyone ever removed the spring behind that 'button' or just removed the button completely from the bolt face? Would doing so cause any problemswith firing? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Re: BOLT FACE QUESTION

Sure, you can take out the ejector. Just drift the pin out while you compress it and be sure the spring don't jump your parts across your shop...

You are correct about the tension and offset position causing a misalignment. Trim a coil or two off your ejector spring, until you can compress with mild finger pressure and should be fine.

If you are shooting heavy loads with pressure signs, don't want to shoot w/o the ejector in place; could get some brass flow/deformation. Mild or normal loads should be no prob to shoot w/o it.

Thank you! I'm so greatful for your response! You guys know so much about this stuff and I am so greatful for your input. I will do as you said and trim the spring. I'm shooting a 338 lapua magnum (not at huge loads and high pressures) so I'm wondering if it would be O.K. to just leave it in there without the spring, or remove it alltogether? I'm smart enough now to make sure all my long range accuracy rifles are claw extractors, and not dependent on that spring loaded 'nubbin' to push the cartridge out! Let me know what you think about just leaving the spring out all together, please!! Thanks, Brian J. Gedeon, M.D.

Doc...the spring loaded ejector does put pressure, but doesn't seem to be a problem with the accuracy in most examples. If you are neck sizing, the offset due to the ejector is minimal. Just because it is a "claw" extractor, doesn't mean that the "claw" isn't putting pressure on the case unless it has been precisely tuned to avoid that. Some "claw" extractors are combined with a spring loaded ejector instead of a blade. I suspect that the deviation caused by the ejector will be buried in the "noise" associated with the huge cartridge. JMHO

Hey thanks alot. I don't neck size, (but I do have the tools to do it for all the calibers I reload), so SHOULD I be neck sizing my 338 lapua and the 308 even though it's a claw extractor? I don't mind doing it, and any insight you can give into the subject of neck sizing would be greatly appreciated! I learned in some of our advanced classes on neck sizing, but I'm using Lapua brass exclusively, so it's darn consistent. Thanks again and anymore feeback you have would be greatly appreciated.

Should I be neck sizing on my 338 Lapua Magnum and my 308 win eventhough I'm using Lapua brass? If so, should I stay with the rule that about 75-85% of the neck should be faced--or should I make it uniform all around? This is where I need help too!!
---Doc.

I see no reason to FL resize when you're reuseing quality brass in the same bolt act. rifle. As a matter of fact, I've bought Forster shoulder bump dies specifically so I wouldnt have to do it which would just overwork the brass and make it have to re-expand to the chamber everytime you fire the rifle. Of course with an auto loader its a different story.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Med Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that negate the need for neck turning? </div></div>

Neck turning has nothing to do with headspace. If your rifle isn't specifically reamed with a tight neck (so as to require neck turning), then you don't need to worry about neck turning.

hmmm...Personally, I'm more concerned about the non-uniformity of pressure introduce by the cut in the bolt face to make room for the extractor, than I am in the couple of pounds exerted by the button on a chambered round with a uniform bolt face. (yes, all my actions are REM 700s)

You're way over thinking this. Spring loaded ejectors are not an issue for accuracy. The vast majority of precision rifles are not using using a claw type extracor and a blade ejector. Your most accurate rifles, the benchrest rigs are not using claw extractors and blade ejectors. Take a look at these two bolts. The pictures are from Zak Smith's web page. The one on the left is an AI AWSM and the one on the right is a TGR-42. Both of these rifles are known for their long range accuracy.
[image]http://demigodllc.com/photo/TRG42AWSM/?medium=D100_1327_img.jpg[\image]