• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

BRASS SHAVINGS FROM TRIMMING - POTENTIAL FOR BARREL DAMAGE?

Edsel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2013
As the questions states.

This has probably been asked before - do remnants from brass trimming damage the barrel when inadvertently mixed with the powder?

Brass, while soft - is still a noncompressible solid - and I find the idea of shavings insinuating between the bullet jacket and the rifling under high pressure somewhat concerning.

I don’t know for sure but I think that’s why I & a lot of folks tumble cases again after trimming & before loading

Reactions: Edsel
As the questions states.

This has probably been asked before - do remnants from brass trimming damage the barrel when inadvertently mixed with the powder?

Brass, while soft - is still a noncompressible solid - and I find the idea of shavings insinuating between the bullet jacket and the rifling under high pressure somewhat concerning.
I certainly don't want brass trimmings propelled down any of my barrel as I'm certain that some damage can occur depending on the size of the trimming(s). Since I use a Tri-Way trimmer, the trimming is done with the cases facing down so trimmings go down to be sure none get into the cases.

That copper jacket grinding the barrel surface at ~2800 fps with high pressure and temperature at its back does way more damage that any small brass shaving could ever do.