Brian Dennehy...Poser?

shootist2004

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2005
las vegas
I read in Military Officer magazine Brian Dennehy claimed service in Vietnam but never went. He was exposed in the book "Stolen Valor" and he apologized. Then he did it again in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. Is this common knowledge? How come I never heard this story?

MV5BNDE4MjEzMzAzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzYzNDgwMw__V1__SX100_SY118_.jpg

Re: Brian Dennehy...Poser?

As of the current Census taken during August, 2000, the surviving U.S. Vietnam Veteran population estimate is: 1,002,511. This is hard to believe, losing nearly 711,000 between '95 and '00. That's 390 per day.

<span style="color: #FF0000">During this Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country is: 13,853,027. By this census, FOUR OUT OF FIVE WHO CLAIM TO BE Vietnam vets are not.</span>

The Department of Defense Vietnam War Service Index officially provided by The War Library originally reported with errors that 2,709,918 U.S. military personnel as having served in-country. Corrections and confirmations to this errored index resulted in the addition of 358 U.S. military personnel confirmed to have served in Vietnam but not originally listed by the Department of Defense. (All names are currently on file and accessible 24/7/365).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As of the current Census taken during August, 2000, the surviving U.S. Vietnam Veteran population estimate is: 1,002,511. This is hard to believe, losing nearly 711,000 between '95 and '00. That's 390 per day.

During this Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country is: 13,853,027. By this census, FOUR OUT OF FIVE WHO CLAIM TO BE Vietnam vets are not.</div></div>

That's a pretty interesting claim, because the 2000 Census did not ask about service in-country in Vietnam.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">During this Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country is: 13,853,027. By this census, FOUR OUT OF FIVE WHO CLAIM TO BE Vietnam vets are not.</div></div>

That's a pretty interesting claim, because the 2000 Census did not ask about service in-country in Vietnam.
</div></div>

Dunno, but I've heard such things from many sources. See link below for source cited.

http://vietnam-veterans.us/popup/facts.html

Also:

http://www.uswardogs.org/new_page_18.htm

INTERESTING CENSUS STATISTICS & THOSE TO CLAIM TO HAVE "BEEN THERE."

1. 1,713,823 of those who served in Vietnam were still alive as of August, 1995 (census figures).
2. During that same census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country was: 9,492,958.
3. As of the current census taken during August, 2000, the surviving U.S. Vietnam Veteran population estimate is: 1,002,511. This is hard to believe, losing nearly 711,000 between '95 and '00. That's 390 per day.
4. During this census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country is: 13,853,027. By this census, FOUR OUT OF FIVE WHO CLAIM TO BE VIETNAM VETS ARE NOT.

5. The Department of Defense Vietnam War Service Index officially provided by The War Library originally reported with errors that 2,709,918 U.S. military personnel as having served in-country.

6. Corrections and confirmations to this erred index resulted in the addition of 358 U.S. military personnel confirmed to have served in Vietnam but not originally listed by the Department of Defense. (All names are currently on file and accessible 24/7/365).
7. Isolated atrocities committed by American Soldiers produced torrents of outrage from anti-war critics and the news media while Communist atrocities were so common that they received hardly any media mention at all.

8. The United States sought to minimize and prevent attacks on civilians while North Vietnam made attacks on civilians a centerpiece of its strategy.
9. Americans who deliberately killed civilians received prison sentences while Communists who did so received commendations.

Well, there's a lot of false information circulating on the Internet. Here are two links to the Census questions asked in 2000:

http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/d02p.pdf

http://usa.ipums.org/usa/voliii/items2000.shtml

See for yourself. Proof by repeated assertion is not interesting. A question that was not asked cannot have been falsely answered.

added: And there was no Census in 1995. A Census count is held every 10 years, in years evenly divisible by 10, which 1995 was not.

An electrician who did a little work at my house recently gave me a BS Vietnam Vet story. When he gave me the quote he told me about how he was in the military back then, did something with communications and wiring. Went on to say he was lucky that he missed going to Vietnam by 2 weeks. When he came back to do the work he gives me a story about how he went to Vietnam back when he was in the service. He claimed his son, 23 years old, was special forces......yet he's also about done with his electricians apprenticeship program. I never served, which I really wish I had right out of HS, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna lie about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

See for yourself. Proof by repeated assertion is not interesting. A question that was not asked cannot have been falsely answered.

added: And there was no Census in 1995. A Census count is held every 10 years, in years evenly divisible by 10, which 1995 was not.
</div></div>

The Census bureau does a lot more polling than just the one we're all familiar with... I think there are five main polls they conduct every decade. They don't just pack up for a ten year break. I can't find an official .Gov source for the other websites claims but that doesn't mean they are necessarily false... The Census bureau may simply not compile that data leaving only secondary sources (such as above) to do the math and report.

Actually, the Census Bureau does polling on a monthly basis - but it's a statistical sample, as are all of what they do between the 10 year periods, and could not possibly have produced the figures you quoted.

Unless I see a convincing link to an actual Census Bureau page with those figures, I conclude that they are made up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Unless I see a convincing link to an actual Census Bureau page with those figures, I conclude that they are made up.
</div></div>

That may be, but it could also be true. Bear in mind that the Census Bureau may simply not compile that specific data leaving it to individuals to calculate instead. There are countless trillions of crazy statistics that can be complied from Census data that the Census Bureau doesn't calculate on it's own... Especially when coupled with other sources of data (perhaps the Veterans Admin. in this case). Anyone can chose to conclude what they want but the absence of data doesn't mean these website's claims are necessarily false.

It would appear that Mr. Dennehy did forget himself again in an interview with the Wall Street Journal in 2009.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2007/04/dont_tell_glenna_whitley_youre.php

I don't have the specific WSJ article but the follow up to it is linked above.

Unlike many frauds, Dennehy, by all accounts did serve in the USMC from 1959-1963 and was honorably discharged.

He also admitted his fraud without excuse or further dishonesty or prevarication such as that witnessed by the medal inflation master John Kerry or Conn. Senator Blumenthal.

And once again, for the record, I have not served in our nation's armed forces.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bf8nbAAehgs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bf8nbAAehgs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bf8nbAAehgs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bf8nbAAehgs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Howard Stern......... a real POS.

IIRC, the U.S.Navy, considered us Navy personnel who served on ships, such as aircraft carriers as "in country", we got the same benefits and recognition as have served "in country", i think this 1,713,823 "in country" count is bogus, the 13,853,027 is closer to being correct, just think logically for a moment..,"The Vietnam War (1960-1975)" in 15 years of "in country" fighting there were only 1,713,823 !! gimme a phucking break ! counting all the support personnel, the actual combat personnel, then there are the two, three and some four tour guys, how are they counted, i would think that 13,853,027 is an under count ..., just my <span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">OPINION</span></span> of course

My opinion about such matters is somewhat lenient.

Having 'been there' was no great privilege. Having managed not to, without engaging in fraud, is likewise no mark of cowardice. I have no reservations about folks who managed to carry out their lives without being drafted and sent to that hell as happened to me and many like myself.

I am proud of my service and equally glad it's long been over.

It's a series of mixed memories that I would rather not recall, except maybe to help another Vet. My life has moved to better places and times, and I find them far more pleasant to dwell upon than a wartime past.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IIRC, the U.S.Navy, considered us Navy personnel who served on ships, such as aircraft carriers as "in country", we got the same benefits and recognition as have served "in country", i think this 1,713,823 "in country" count is bogus, the 13,853,027 is closer to being correct, just think logically for a moment..,"The Vietnam War (1960-1975)" in 15 years of "in country" fighting there were only 1,713,823 !! gimme a phucking break ! counting all the support personnel, the actual combat personnel, then there are the two, three and some four tour guys, how are they counted, i would think that 13,853,027 is an under count ..., just my <span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">OPINION</span></span> of course </div></div>

"In country" was a term that hadn't been invented yet when I was in the Navy. While never stepping a foot ashore, we were considered to be in the same boat and, yes, got the same recognition and benefits. We had to be in theatre for "x" (can't remember) amount of days per month or be fired upon to collect our extra "combat pay". There used to be a distinction between Vietnam vets (including sailors that never touched a foot ashore) and Vietnam-era vets. Don't know if that holds true today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steven Dzupin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No wonder why Rambo shot him up ! </div></div>

Ha,ha.
laugh.gif
It appears he's an asshole in real life too. I wish Rambo woulda killed him right off the bat in that flick.

"I was a captain in the 103rd in Vietnam. I threw a grenade in a schoolhouse and killed, like, 100 kids. But my damn lieutenant only gave me 11 on the body count, saying kids don't count as much. I gotta say I think they ought to count as much as an adult."

a good reason to not have sat radio.