• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Brief range report - sub 1 MOA - first time out with new SCAR 17S

swamp2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Finally got the scope on and some time at the range today. Been swamped at work and with my little 18 month old son. To say the least my buddy and I had a blast and I impressed myself with the rifle, even with my beginner shooting skills...

The rifle:

Black SCAR 17S, all mods done myself.

52z0hu.jpg

Mods:

-PWS SRX rail extension
-Foregrip: Mako Gen 2 - T-Pod
-Trigger: Geissele Super SCAR
-Charging handle: Stryker Enterprises E.A.C.H.
-BUIS: Troy micro, folding, tritium, HK style
-Grip: Magpul MIAD (took some modding of the lower)
-Safety lever: Magpul SSG
-Magazine lock: Raddlock (not much to brag about here in CA...)
-Folding lock: My custom set up, here: Folding Latch Lockout - Potential new product for non-folding/min length compliance (more CA BS...)
-Rear QD: Custom Noveske flush mount in lower
-Scope: SWFA SS 1-6x
-Scope mount: Bobro 30mm, low, slightly forward (this little gem is a mechanical work of art...)

Results:

It took a lot longer than I had hoped to get sighted in. Was a bit tired from shooting the Benelli M4 shotgun and slugs out to 50 yards along with good old 00 buck closer in. Despite a small waste of ammo, got it close and moved out to 100 yards. Then dialed it in pretty quickly at 100. I was shooting my better quality ammo because I don't have any cheap stuff left. Started off with Federal GMM 168 gr then moved on to the Hornady TAP AMAX 155 gr. The results below are three consecutive (or close to consecutive...) 5 round groups on 3" Shoot-N-Cs, with the Hornady. The groups are 1.5 MOA, 1.6 MOA and 0.8 MOA! For completeness sake I did shoot some other groups around 2-3 MOA as well and those aren't shown. Getting below 1 MOA was a great accomplishment for me on this first day out with a new rifle, a battle rifle at that and me being a fairly novice shooter. By the way the groups were each 5 and only 5 consecutive shots. I'm pretty sure the 0.8 MOA group included a 3 shot group of closer to 0.5 MOA. I don't believe in 3 shot groups, despite their prevalance... The other "strays" you see are my buddies 5.56 shots, also working on a zero. Lastly, I was shooting from a bench, using the Mako Tpod (deployed as a bipod), no bags/rests.

33m33ow.jpg

The scope really worked great, love the reticle for both close in and longer range work and the glass is super clear. I played around with the reticle illumination and ended up keeping it on mostly due to the good contrast of the red reticle on the black Shoot-N-C. I can't wait to stretch out the distance a bit with the rifle.

I think with quite a few more rounds down range, and sticking with good factory match quality ammo, I just might be able to consistently shoot around 1 MOA from the bench with this rifle. That is more than I expected from it and from me. I'm already seeing that the rifle can and likely will remain able to outshoot me!

P.S. Absolutely no malfunctions nor surprises of any kind, less the screw on the darn Raddlock coming a bit loose. Time to blue loctite that sucker...

Last edited:
Great shooting. These can be surprising rifles. I have a 10" 5.56 CQC and I really enjoy it. Enough that I keep thinking a 13" 7.62 CQC would go along with it perfectly!

Nice shooting, one question why did you ditch the factory sights and switch them out with Troy's?

Thanks, good question. A few reasons:

1. Highest priority - consistency across platforms.
2. Wanted tritium night sights.
3. Probably a non-issue but the front sight mounting on the gas block seems just a bit precarious. Damage to sight could damage gas system.
4. Low priority - aesthetics of factory sights.

Additions I would recommend for you:

- Handl Defense SCAR25 Lower: I bought mine from Rainier at the introductory price December of last year (around $275 I think) and got it in the mail about a month and a half ago. Despite the inconsistent reviews I have read about it on various forums (FN, AR-15.com, ect.), I have had no issues whatsoever with mine. VERY tight fitting, but that's a good thing in my opinion. I haven't had any issues with my PMAGs getting scarred either. I highly recommend it.

- Vltor Enhanced Buttstock: Much more ergonomic than the factory stock. It is sturdier and much more aesthetically pleasing IMO. Pictures don't really do it justice.

Just my .02¢. Cheers!

Nice looking rig. I would ditch the grip pod and put something farther forward on the extended rail with the way it's set up...

Additions I would recommend for you:

- Handl Defense SCAR25 Lower: I bought mine from Rainier at the introductory price December of last year (around $275 I think) and got it in the mail about a month and a half ago. Despite the inconsistent reviews I have read about it on various forums (FN, AR-15.com, ect.), I have had no issues whatsoever with mine. VERY tight fitting, but that's a good thing in my opinion. I haven't had any issues with my PMAGs getting scarred either. I highly recommend it.

- Vltor Enhanced Buttstock: Much more ergonomic than the factory stock. It is sturdier and much more aesthetically pleasing IMO. Pictures don't really do it justice.

Just my .02¢. Cheers!

I've considered the Stryker Lower but I really like the composite material of the OEM lower and the reduced weight. Being able to run more common magazines is nice as well but I'm stocked up well with FN mags. However, the VLTOR buttstock is a pretty nice looking modification. Anything else you can add about it? Cheers.

Last edited:
Nice looking rig. I would ditch the grip pod and put something farther forward on the extended rail with the way it's set up...

The idea of the 1-6 was to have a single optic for a very wide range of distances, say anywhere from 5 to 500 yards (or however far out I'll be able to get with it...). Other than that, it's not really set up with anything else in particular in mind. Also that's not a Grip Pod. I've used a Grip Pod but this the Mako TPod (they make gear for the Israeli Army) and it is light years ahead of the Grip Pod. It really is a way to have a a decent foregrip and decent bipod without them separately. When in bipod and you run the legs different lengths and it both tilts and swivels.

I've considered the Stryker Lower but I really like the composite material of the OEM lower and the reduced weight. Being able to run more common magazines is nice as well but I'm stocked up well with FN mags. However, the VLTOR buttstock is a pretty nice looking modification. Anything else you can add about it? Cheers.

The Stryker lower appears to be nice from the drawings and I'm sure will yield fine results due to the time he's putting into R & D. Lord only knows when they'll finally be available for sale, but the Handl works exceptionally well for me.

As for additional information on the Vltor stock:

- I noticed right away that there is significantly less play between the Vltor enhanced buttstock and whats left of the OEM stock that it attaches to. This is due to the way it interfaces; particularly the extra molding that allows what's left of the OEM stock to slide "into" the Vltor piece.

- The Vltor stock has the QD mounting point for your sling attachment, unlike the stock piece. It also utilizes the buttpad used in Vltor's line of IMOD and EMOD stocks. Very comfortable, and as I mentioned above, wider.

- There is more storage space in the buttstock if you wish to store spare parts or what have you. The pin is easier to push and the buttpad hinges downward while still remaining attached to the stock, unlike the OEM piece.

The idea of the 1-6 was to have a single optic for a very wide range of distances, say anywhere from 5 to 500 yards (or however far out I'll be able to get with it...). Other than that, it's not really set up with anything else in particular in mind. Also that's not a Grip Pod. I've used a Grip Pod but this the Mako TPod (they make gear for the Israeli Army) and it is light years ahead of the Grip Pod. It really is a way to have a a decent foregrip and decent bipod without them separately. When in bipod and you run the legs different lengths and it both tilts and swivels.

I know it's not an actual "Grip-Pod" but was just referring to it generically of sorts. I don't use fore-grips on my 308's but I also don't use my 308's for anything other than distance shooting. It's still a nice set-up though...

Well with the de facto free software for more accurate group measurement my result was closer to 0.8 MOA. I updated the OP a bit to reflect this.

rk98ap.jpg

Last edited:
wow, now that's how a battle rifle should look! that thing is down right sick looking. very nice.

Finally got the scope on and some time at the range today. Been swamped at work and with my little 18 month old son. To say the least my buddy and I had a blast and I impressed myself with the rifle, even with my beginner shooting skills...

The rifle:

Black SCAR 17S, all mods done myself.

52z0hu.jpg

Mods:

-PWS SRX rail extension
-Foregrip: Mako Gen 2 - T-Pod
-Trigger: Geissele Super SCAR
-Charging handle: Stryker Enterprises E.A.C.H.
-BUIS: Troy micro, folding, tritium, HK style
-Grip: Magpul MIAD (took some modding of the lower)
-Safety lever: Magpul SSG
-Magazine lock: Raddlock (not much to brag about here in CA...)
-Folding lock: My custom set up, here: Folding Latch Lockout - Potential new product for non-folding/min length compliance (more CA BS...)
-Rear QD: Custom Noveske flush mount in lower
-Scope: SWFA SS 1-6x
-Scope mount: Bobro 30mm, low, slightly forward (this little gem is a mechanical work of art...)

Results:

It took a lot longer than I had hoped to get sighted in. Was a bit tired from shooting the Benelli M4 shotgun and slugs out to 50 yards along with good old 00 buck closer in. Despite a small waste of ammo, got it close and moved out to 100 yards. Then dialed it in pretty quickly at 100. I was shooting my better quality ammo because I don't have any cheap stuff left. Started off with Federal GMM 168 gr then moved on to the Hornady TAP AMAX 155 gr. The results below are three consecutive (or close to consecutive...) 5 round groups on 3" Shoot-N-Cs, with the Hornady. The groups are 1.5 MOA, 1.6 MOA and 0.8 MOA! For completeness sake I did shoot some other groups around 2-3 MOA as well and those aren't shown. Getting below 1 MOA was a great accomplishment for me on this first day out with a new rifle, a battle rifle at that and me being a fairly novice shooter. By the way the groups were each 5 and only 5 consecutive shots. I'm pretty sure the 0.8 MOA group included a 3 shot group of closer to 0.5 MOA. I don't believe in 3 shot groups, despite their prevalance... The other "strays" you see are my buddies 5.56 shots, also working on a zero. Lastly, I was shooting from a bench, using the Mako Tpod (deployed as a bipod), no bags/rests.

33m33ow.jpg

The scope really worked great, love the reticle for both close in and longer range work and the glass is super clear. I played around with the reticle illumination and ended up keeping it on mostly due to the good contrast of the red reticle on the black Shoot-N-C. I can't wait to stretch out the distance a bit with the rifle.

I think with quite a few more rounds down range, and sticking with good factory match quality ammo, I just might be able to consistently shoot around 1 MOA from the bench with this rifle. That is more than I expected from it and from me. I'm already seeing that the rifle can and likely will remain able to outshoot me!

P.S. Absolutely no malfunctions nor surprises of any kind, less the screw on the darn Raddlock coming a bit loose. Time to blue loctite that sucker...

It would be nice to see your entire target. From the 3 groups i can see they are really really good for a 1-4 power scope.... Not that easy to get bug hole groups with a 1-4 power scope. you should check out my dpms 3g1 entry on the shootout thread with my 1-4 power scope... Nice battle rifle setup and i wouldnt change a thing. Looks good. You should do a 30round entry and post your results regardless of your outcome. It would be bad ass having a scar on the thread.

Thanks, means a lot coming from a shooter like you!

I'm sure that by next week I'll be easily shooting 3/8 MOA all day long ;-)

^ Like I mentioned, quite a few other 2-3 MOA groups on that target as well as my buddy zeroing an AR on it. Nothing too exciting. Also it is a 1-6 not a 1-4. Next time I hit the range I'll see what I can do for a 6x5 for the contest. However, I can't do the rifle justice yet, that's for sure. Cheers.

Ahhh 1-6, very nice.... sounds perfect for your scar... Really fast acquisition with an option of long range if you need to kick it into high gear = perfect for your battle rifle...

Regardless, I, and I'm sure many others here on the SH, WOULD LOVE to see a scar (and JP, POF, AK-47 blah blah blah) do the test... This goes for all rifle types and scope types, even if you don't make the top ten, still post your results!! It really is a collection of data rather than a challenge IMO (yes, it is not totally scientific and is based somewhat around the shooter also,,,, but it gives a good idea)...... Each rifle has different purposes and your rifle is set up perfect IMO....... It's a battle rifle and that 1-6 scope is perfect for that particular set up..... I, and many others are really looking for that kind of info (especially those looking to purchase and build).... I currently have two rifles that I knew I wouldn't make the top 10, but I figured it would be cool to see the results with a 1x aimpoint AR with a 16" barrel just for shits and giggles even though I rarely shoot the rifle over 75yards (but I still ran the test with an average 2moa just to see what it could do, not too darn bad for a $999 rifle and a 1x non-magnified aimpoint pro).... Trust me, run the test, challenge yourself, and share your info with the SH community.. Regardless of your outcome, post it! It would be awesome. Damn, I wish someone would do it with an AK!!

^ Like I mentioned, quite a few other 2-3 MOA groups on that target as well as my buddy zeroing an AR on it. Nothing too exciting. Also it is a 1-6 not a 1-4. Next time I hit the range I'll see what I can do for a 6x5 for the contest. However, I can't do the rifle justice yet, that's for sure. Cheers.