• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Browning BBR

Crotalus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2008
Santa Rosa, Ca
I realize this may not be the best forum to post this, but what the heck.....

Recently luck was on my side and I found a BRAND NEW still in box, 1979 Browning BBR 30-06. Never used, never fired. Came out of someones collection and I got it for a price I could not refuse. It is a very nice rifle.

I bought this rifle and really don't have a practical use for it, however I could not pass it up.

I can't decide whether its smarter to keep it in the box and let it be a collectable, or mount a scope on it and have fun with it. I'd love to shoot it and maybe take it on a gentle hunt now and again, but part of me feels like that would be ruining a special thing.

What do you guys think? What would you do?

Re: Browning BBR

Shoot it! It was made to be shot. Its not THAT old. Same way I feel about classic cars. I don't need garage art numbers matching perfect specimens. I buy cars to drive and enjoy. I buy guns to shoot and enjoy.

I feel the same way about guns. I love shooting them. I'm just curious to know if one day this will be a really rare gun? Browning only made them from 78 till 84. Before coming out with the A-Bolt.

The BBR is built much like a Weatherby MK-V. It has a high grade walnut, Monte-carlo stock, bedding block, 9 lug, fluted bolt, floated 24" barrel, deep blue steel, detachable mag that also swings on the floor plate, adjustable trigger.

Over all a really solid, nice rifle. I think they were too expensive to keep mass producing so they stopped production and came out with the A-Bolt.

It is not worth keeping, send it to me for proper disposal.
grin.gif

Browning BBR

Any one here ever had one?

I bought a BBR 30-06 in November ,1978, shortly after they came on the market. I had read an article in a shooting magazine and decided it would be a good rifle to try for hunting in Canada(B.C.) I have never regretted that decision. I handload for it, have never bought factory ammo, and it is and always has been extremely accurate. I have fired a few thousand rounds through it, and did have a barrel setback done by a good gunsmith. I use a 2-7 scope with low mounts and both my son and I can shoot 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 100 yds. consistently with my handloads, sometimes even better. I replaced the stock last year with a McMillan hunter stock and it looks and feels great. The rifle is heavy compared to the newer A-bolt and X-bolt but I like a heavy rifle anyway. Keep it, shoot it and try handloading for it if you don't already and it will give you many years of enjoyment, and put lots of meat on the table