• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Brx1 Is hammer Trigger's slower?

BondageStrike

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2024
Norway
Hei folks

i am looking for a new rifle for driven hunts and for red deer out to about 300meters. i am hearing som complaints about the trigger system. some people mean that the hammer fire trigger system will be slower than the striker fire trigger in normal bolt guns? is this realy noticable?

I played with one of these in a Beretta gallery a few weeks ago and actually quite liked it.

When I took the bolt out I dont remember it being hammer fired. For what you're describing I doubt the hammer/trigger would be a significant factor even if it was. A striker is faster than a hammer because of the additional distance traveled by the hammer to hit a pin, but it's a difference in the hundredths of a second.

Reactions: BondageStrike
Not to be rude, but the fact you're needing to ask about this tends to imply that you wouldn't be able to shoot/notice the difference. You're likely worrying about something of no consequence.

I have taken many wild pigs from 5-300m with my ar15s and ar10 and never worried about the hammer fired aspect, nor has it mattered, so long as I did my part. Things might be different if it was my competition rifle.

Reactions: Baron23
Yeah if I am talking pure precision target shooting Lock times are measured in milliseconds as Olympic competition demands it. PRS type competition is less demanding and I am not as concerned as like was pointed out above the AR platform uses hammer fired triggers exclusively and they can compete. Yes they are slower, bur to tell the difference requires skill and lots of practice. It will NOT be the trigger that holds back your scores.

I played with one of these in a Beretta gallery a few weeks ago and actually quite liked it.

When I took the bolt out I dont remember it being hammer fired. For what you're describing I doubt the hammer/trigger would be a significant factor even if it was. A striker is faster than a hammer because of the additional distance traveled by the hammer to hit a pin, but it's a difference in the hundredths of a second.
Yes, I think you have it right. Lock time is hundredths of seconds on a high quality O/U shotgun which I believe absolutely is also applicable to this rifle. Sort of a way down in the noise issue to me.

Cheers

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
As a moving target competition shooter, issf-style, I can testify that hammer rifles are a no go for serious shooting. I think 99% of metallic silhouette shooters will agree. (unless they are shooting in a separate class for hammer rifles)
A new shooter definetly benefits by shooting a rifle with the shortest possible locktime.
If you are based in Europe, get a Steel Action straight pull rifle for short, 308win length, cartridges.

Last edited:
Hammer fired rifles like the AR designs reguire more skill or refined shooting abilities to appreciate what they are capable of compared to a typical bolt action rifle due to the gap in lock time given the design.
With carefull practice and understanding of the differences that gap can be bridged in short order but can't be completely eliminated.
We're they lack in precision is overtaken with follow up shot expedience..

Reactions: oldrifleman