Buddy's convoy got hit...

phantasm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2004
Earth
Well we knew it would happen sooner or later. I served with this guy in my old guard unit...

It would appear that he was out on a mission last week and the IED went off right in front of his vehicle (3rd one back). No one was killed, but my buddy has some memory loss issues, got lucky so far. His gunner, another guy I served with took the brunt of it. He's been sent back to Germany and is coming stateside from what I hear. Besides the shrapnel in his torso he has 20% burns on the right side of his body. They say he'll recover but it's going to take time.

Sucks.

Re: Buddy's convoy got hit...

If he has memory loss, it is a TBI or Traumatic Brain Injury. The burns and such tell him too look at Hyperbaric Therapy. I would strongly suggest this. Their have been studies done and this stuff works. The Army hospital in San Antonio has them and the Head Medical officer had a 3 year residency in Hyperbaric medicine at Duke.

I am sorry to hear about your friend,my best man in my weding just got home from his 4th tour as a M.P. in Iraq last month.

Memory loss is a real motherfucker to deal with. He will need some really good Neurologist's that know wtf they are doing to help him out but in the end, it will depend on him, and somewhere along the line it's a dead stop plateau issue.
I got 40% rating for TBI with memory loss and a few other things so I do deal with stuff a bit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Memory loss is a real motherfucker to deal with. He will need some really good Neurologist's that know wtf they are doing to help him out but in the end, it will depend on him, and somewhere along the line it's a dead stop plateau issue.
I got 40% rating for TBI with memory loss and a few other things so I do deal with stuff a bit </div></div>

Wow. That's kind of what I was figuring. His wife is doing OK... there daughter however is a wreck. The gunner's wife is pregnant and is having a tough time, as expected. I'll pass on this info when the time is right to his wife, the same with the hyperbaric information to the gunner.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Hey, at least they're all alive. While those injuries may stick with the gunner for the rest of his life, he'll still be able to see his wife and daughter again. Many have not been so lucky. My prayers are with your friends, and their unit.

Prayers sent -

I agree on the hyper-baric pressure chamber....they have one where I work but have only used it once, medically, due to liability. They've used it to rescue divers before.

My g/f was actually considering this, as well as a father at work for his daughter.

Godspeed.

One of my best friends got a TBI from an IED. Not pretty. He had memory loss, slurred speach, couldn't walk without a cane, and a bunch of other things. On a good note though, he's gotten over most of that in the year since he's been back stateside getting treatment and therapy.
I wish them both a speedy and complete recovery...

Just heard from my buddies wife, he's doing a little better today but still having a hard time. The gunner is stateside from what I'm told. Thanks for the well wishes.