Night Vision Budget thermal

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Take it easy on me here. I’m NV/Thermal ignorant besides I know good stuff is expensive.

I have a chance to do some night wild pig extinction with a large property through my work, but they said it had to be done at night.

I’ve got AR’s and bolt guns and I’m looking to see if there’s anything decent for around the $1000 mark on a thermal, give or take some cash.

What should i be looking at, if anything in this price range

Take it easy on me here. I’m NV/Thermal ignorant besides I know good stuff is expensive.

I have a chance to do some night wild pig extinction with a large property through my work, but they said it had to be done at night.

I’ve got AR’s and bolt guns and I’m looking to see if there’s anything decent for around the $1000 mark on a thermal, give or take some cash.

What should i be looking at, if anything in this price range
    What kinda of shot ranges are you looking at?
    If $1k is your max I would stick to a digital NV and an upgraded IR. Regarding thermal, a 384 is the bottom resolution for anything attached to a gun, I perosnally would not look at a 256 unless I was shooting Racoons up close.

Reactions: FuhQ
    What kinda of shot ranges are you looking at?
    If $1k is your max I would stick to a digital NV and an upgraded IR. Regarding thermal, a 384 is the bottom resolution for anything attached to a gun, I perosnally would not look at a 256 unless I was shooting Racoons up close.
    I would think 100 yards would be close to max for this situation?
    I’m not sure what distances my price range puts me in

Get this... The factory IR works pretty damn well for it's size inside of about 150-200 yards (IMO)...

And if you need a better IR, get one of these to go with it...

Here's a couple videos I made at different distances that might help you figure out the quality of the image of what a modern technology $1000 NV can do...

Get this... The factory IR works pretty damn well for it's size inside of about 150-200 yards (IMO)...

And if you need a better IR, get one of these to go with it...

Here's a couple videos I made at different distances that might help you figure out the quality of the image of what a modern technology $1000 NV can do...

Would this be better than a thermal? Everything I read says that thermal is better for hunting, but I have no clue.

Thermal is superior but it isn't cheap. Have you considered renting a unit? Some places will rent for $200 for several days, and you can then get a feel of what would work for you. A cheap 256 unit will be barely usable out to 100 yards, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Would this be better than a thermal? Everything I read says that thermal is better for hunting, but I have no clue.
    Would the Neith be better than a $1000 thermal? Absolutely! A $1000 thermal is going to be shit...Just being completely honest. You will be amazed at just how BAD a $1000 thermal scope looks once you look through a $5,000+ MSRP (640 or higher) thermal scope.

Thermal is the way to go but you will pay for it.
    Check out my YouTube I have various videos of AGM thermal, Rix Thermal and NV and Sightmark NV.

What do these numbers mean, 256 and 384?
    Resolution of the thermal sensor. The higher the better, also more expensive. 384 is the lowest realistically useable for most. 640 is ideal and then other features and components can exponentially increase image quality IQ and usable engagement distance. Price is also exponentially higher. Look at FLIR HISS XLR as an extreme example.

Reactions: EscapeVelocity
    What do these numbers mean, 256 and 384
    Resolution of the thermal sensor. The higher the better, also more expensive.
    Its not quite that simple.

The amount of resolution needed depends on the desired application. For example, if you need close-up images of small or distant subjects, you might want a device with a narrower field of view (FOV) and greater magnification.

256 and 384 depicts the (number - usually the horizontal number) of the Focal Plane Array Pixels in a thermal device. A higher number of thermal sensors (Focal Plane Array Pixels) does not necessarily equate to a better image. There are several 320 thermal devices that will yeild a much better image than a 640 unit, albiet the usual caveat is you are dealing with a much smaller FOV (Field of View). Think Flir PTS 736 which has a 320 x 256 VOx Microbolometer. Not many thermal devices out there can render a detailed image at distance like that unit can, albiet it comes with a very narrow FOV.

The better measure of a thermal devices ability to render a high quality image is to calculate the area that a given (Single FPA Pixel) is sampling all other things being relatively equal.

Now some thermal devices have some magic Pixy Dust in them that makes them "Souper Performers". Then there is the Horta "Golden Special" thermal with magic secretive properties.

Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: EscapeVelocity