• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Build a Ruger American rifle?

Widowmaker0001

Sgt.
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2010
CA
I was in the market to start a another build and last time I did one in a bolt action rifle was about 7yrs ago. Obviously some things have changed and some not so much, I have always had trued action rebarreled Remys and always wanted to go a different route primarily out of curiosity. What do you guys think of the Ruger American action? It looks nice, have seen a few articles of them built and shooting as most accurized bolt rifles do. Long Rifles Inc is even making a trueing fixture for them...Which seemed mind boggling at firs to me, no disrespect but that wouldve been like the aftermarket coming together for the 783 or Axis in my day...times have changed...But honestly from my research all I can tell is the Ruger American rifles are low cost to start with and people are making stocks and chassis for them...which didn't exsist way back when I was into this regularly. Whats your guys 2 cents on building one of these Ruger American actions? Pros and Cons. Any Advice is helpful. I even see they make a LA Mag bolt face one too..This would be for my son to learn on btw, even the LA mag if I did it?. Thank You in Advance

-Reagan

Last edited:
Am currently in the process of “finishing” a build. Ruger American Predator 6.5 grendel sitting on a MDT LSS GEN2 chassis (Ruger AR magazine specific), Timney RA trigger. Am in the process of changing the barrel to a heavy palma 22” from preferred barrels.
I like the rifle a lot and it shoots well even with the factory barrel (1/2 MOA if I do my part) I would say the only issue am gaving now is the lack of info and tools (action specific) to remove the factory barrel. Barrel is installed from the factory with a smooth barrel nut so I guess a vise and pipe wrench would work since I dont need the factory barrel nut to install new barrel but I hate to resort to that.

Reactions: Widowmaker0001
Am currently in the process of “finishing” a build. Ruger American Predator 6.5 grendel sitting on a MDT LSS GEN2 chassis (Ruger AR magazine specific), Timney RA trigger. Am in the process of changing the barrel to a heavy palma 22” from preferred barrels.
I like the rifle a lot and it shoots well even with the factory barrel (1/2 MOA if I do my part) I would say the only issue am gaving now is the lack of info and tools (action specific) to remove the factory barrel. Barrel is installed from the factory with a smooth barrel nut so I guess a vise and pipe wrench would work since I dont need the factory barrel nut to install new barrel but I hate to resort to that.
Yeah from what im reading around on the Ruger American is you can switch to the Preferred Barrel Blanks nut system and be good to go and another few articles Ive found they actually just make it a shouldered barrel and remove the whole barrel nut out of the equation. I was leaning have a shoulder barrel done up out of one of the Broughton 5C blanks I have laying around here. I reached out to PBB on the possibility of making a shouldered barrel for the Ruger American but they said they only do the barrel-nut system on those. Cant wait to see your finished rifle

-Reagan

Reactions: Islas82
Barrel is installed from the factory with a smooth barrel nut so I guess a vise and pipe wrench would work since I dont need the factory barrel nut to install new barrel but I hate to resort to that.

Two things that may or may not help:

Scroll down a couple/eight posts and there are some good methods shared on how to remove the barrel nut.

Hopefully these are of assistance.

Widowmaker,

The site I linked above, Anarchy Outdoors, has an entire section for Ruger American upgrades. I just ordered every one they offer to the tune of about $290 (coupon code "stimulus" right now).

I can't speak to whether it's worth it to upgrade the rifle or if the parts are any good, but reviews I've found for upgrading with those parts are pretty solid.

My plan is for it to be my hunting rifle and intro into precision shooting. We shall see how that goes and whether the money was worth it!

Yes I visited Anarchy outdoors and looked at their items. Am in the process of building myself a workbench in the garage and I will get those tools in the future. At the moment though I was able to remove the barrel nut with just a simple vise and pipe wrench it was easy, obviously the barrel nut has been ruined but that’s no big deal. When you take a close look at the action after the barrel has been removed its actually very nice and seems well made (its no custom action by no means)

The barrel from PBB and I got off on the wrong foot. The barrel did not thread in all the way in so I had to contact PBB and send them my action and barrel so they could correct the issue and install the barrel, so not a good start. Their customer service has been great so far so I wouldn't give them a bad review quite yet lets, see how they handle this.

Widowmaker,

The site I linked above, Anarchy Outdoors, has an entire section for Ruger American upgrades. I just ordered every one they offer to the tune of about $290 (coupon code "stimulus" right now).

I can't speak to whether it's worth it to upgrade the rifle or if the parts are any good, but reviews I've found for upgrading with those parts are pretty solid.

My plan is for it to be my hunting rifle and intro into precision shooting. We shall see how that goes and whether the money was worth it!

For what it's worth, my Anarchy Outdoors action wrench was way oversized for my action. I'll be interested to hear if you're experience is better.

I have a RAP in 6.5 Creedmore that, in the cheapo factory stock, shot sub MOA with factory ammo. So far I've gotten a Magpul bipod and stock for it (not the route I'd go if I was going to be hiking around in the mountains with it) and it's been great. I don't have any experience with nicer rifles so I can't compare in that regard but as budget rifles go it's been great.

I have a RAP in 6.5 Creedmore that, in the cheapo factory stock, shot sub MOA with factory ammo. So far I've gotten a Magpul bipod and stock for it (not the route I'd go if I was going to be hiking around in the mountains with it) and it's been great. I don't have any experience with nicer rifles so I can't compare in that regard but as budget rifles go it's been great.
The action is good enough to build off on. Its a good rifle for sure.

Reactions: Bluedog82
For what it's worth, my Anarchy Outdoors action wrench was way oversized for my action. I'll be interested to hear if you're experience is better.

Since mine is intending for a hunting rig I may well be lugging around snow-covered New Mexico elk territory, the factory barrel is staying (rumor has it the weight is handy enough and the barrel will still shoot true for a good 3 shots- hunting standards).

All that to say this- That wrench is probably the only item they offer for the American which I didn't buy.

I've ordered/purchased everything, but only just. Nothing has made it to me yet.

Since mine is intending for a hunting rig I may well be lugging around snow-covered New Mexico elk territory, the factory barrel is staying (rumor has it the weight is handy enough and the barrel will still shoot true for a good 3 shots- hunting standards).

All that to say this- That wrench is probably the only item they offer for the American which I didn't buy.

I've ordered/purchased everything, but only just. Nothing has made it to me yet.

Yeah, I don't see why you would have any issues with the factory barrel, given the intended purpose.

I was actually keeping the factory barrel as well, but I had to pop it off to get it chopped down. I went from 16.125" down to 9.5" to make a really compact hunting rifle. Once I toss my Resonator K on the end, it will be around the same overall length as the factory.

I don't have any experience with Anarchy, outside of that action rod. Hopefully I just got a lemon, and you'll have better luck.

There was really nothing wrong with my factory barrel either it was quite accurate. My decision to change it was based on barrel contour really and if I could gain a bit more accuracy with a march barrel then why not. The 6.5 grendel barrel on the RAP is too thin for my liking just shot 400 rounds thru it.

I’ve been thinking of doing something with my Ruger American Ranch.

Does anyone know of a source for a flat bow trigger. I’ve become a fan of them on my ARs, both from Geissele and larue, and want the same of my RARR and on my Savage MKII.

I’ve been thinking of doing something with my Ruger American Ranch.

Does anyone know of a source for a flat bow trigger. I’ve become a fan of them on my ARs, both from Geissele and larue, and want the same of my RARR and on my Savage MKII.
Only replacement triggers I seen for RA are timneys. Haven’t seen a flat option. I got one and am pretty happy with it

Reactions: SBRSarge
Widowmaker,

IMO, it’s worth it if you like it and that’s what you want. It’s your money.

The factory trigger is pretty darn good for a factory trigger but that timney is pretty darn great. I adjusted mine down until it failed to hold on a drop test and then up just a smidge and I actually turned it up even more from there to my feel preference as it could go really light.

Reactions: flustercuck
IMO, it’s worth it if you like it and that’s what you want. It’s your money.
The reputation of the Hide precedes it and as a new guy I wasn't sure what reaction to expect with the "budget shooter" plan. Then again, this is truly a nice hunting setup to start out. I haven't even begun to think what kind of precision rifle I might build.

I'm pretty excited about the whole package making it to me though. Especially knowing that for ~$700 I've got a rifle with nearly every known issue addressed- that doesn't make it something it ain't, but more of a maximizing potential from the base rifle (and apparently the Predator has a better trigger than the original versions? We'll see)

Thx for everyones input first off. Another thing to remember guys, is when you put a "custom barrel" on and have it done by a good gunsmith your in custom barrel land...btw LRI is making a action trueing fixture for tge Ruger American too, so you can have a shouldered or prefut barrel and a trued action, I bet that would make a damn fine shooter'

-Reagan

The factory trigger is pretty darn good for a factory trigger but that timney is pretty darn great. I adjusted mine down until it failed to hold on a drop test and then up just a smidge and I actually turned it up even more from there to my feel preference as it could go really light.
The one i owned, I replaced the trigger spring with one much much longer but lighter and less girthy. It brought the trigger pull considerably down.

How did you end up working yours down if you don't mind?

btw LRI is making a action trueing fixture for tge Ruger American too, so you can have a shouldered or prefut barrel and a trued action, I bet that would make a damn fine shooter'

-Reagan

Did you see that somewhere on the Hide? Id love a link so I can follow that and know when it's released/ready for them to accept orders. Shoot, if I can get it trued I may actually go stupid deep into this project ?

Did you see that somewhere on the Hide? Id love a link so I can follow that and know when it's released/ready for them to accept orders. Shoot, if I can get it trued I may actually go stupid deep into this project ?
Actually it was on LRI facebook page, when I spoke to Chad at LRI on the phone a few weeks ago after I saw it, he said once he gets more time he will get it all finished so Idk an eta or anything as he can speak on that but it is a real thing as in a physical tool already...

-Reagan

This is my Ruger American Predator stainless in an Oryx chassis. It's stock except for an Anarchy cocking piece and bolt handle. Shoots 1 1/2" at 200 with Hornady 140gr ELD. I topped mine with a bought on clearance PST II and even with an atlas bipod I have under 2k in a rifle that shoots better than I do.

20190928_163913~3.jpg

I just ordered one of the new Ruger American Hunters with the 22" heavy barrel and magpul hunter stock. Looks like it's ready to go, and if it's like the others I've had it should shoot really well.

I actually shot matches with a RAP that I upgraded with a magpul stock. It was pretty amazing how accurate it was. I'm talking 5 shot groups under .5" with my loads. I just didn't know if that barrel would hold up well as it heated in a match, but it did fine.

Are the American actions (RAR) the same as the Precision actions (RPR)?

I just ordered one of the new Ruger American Hunters with the 22" heavy barrel and magpul hunter stock. Looks like it's ready to go, and if it's like the others I've had it should shoot really well.

I actually shot matches with a RAP that I upgraded with a magpul stock. It was pretty amazing how accurate it was. I'm talking 5 shot groups under .5" with my loads. I just didn't know if that barrel would hold up well as it heated in a match, but it did fine.

Are the American actions (RAR) the same as the Precision actions (RPR)?
I think they are very similar but not exactly the same not 100% sure

I think they are very similar but not exactly the same not 100% sure
I think they are the same internally, footprint is different correct me if im wrong. The RPR has an extended bolt shroud to slide into the buffer tube assembly where the RAP does not. The RPR uses AR style barrel nut the RAP uses a smooth barrel nut and you can even have shouldered barrels made for the RAP too. So externally not the same but the dimensions the same internally,bolt diameter,etc...

-Reagan

I think they are the same internally, footprint is different correct me if im wrong. The RPR has an extended bolt shroud to slide into the buffer tube assembly where the RAP does not. The RPR uses AR style barrel nut the RAP uses a smooth barrel nut and you can even have shouldered barrels made for the RAP too. So externally not the same but the dimensions the same internally,bolt diameter,etc...

-Reagan
That makes a lot of sense.

I did check out PVA but they didn’t chamber the caliber I was looking for.
Ah I see. Did you try contacting them? They might still be able to do it...

On another note, I gave in and ordered a RAP 6.5 creedmoor :) I'm planning on using the factory stock/barrel/caliber for hunting. For PRS comp, 6mm creedmoor, PVA Rock Creek barrel, and Indian Creek MoFo chasis. BAM!

Be sure you’re ok with the rough fit and finish of the Ruger American before you sink a lot of money into customizing one. They shoot well, but mine had some burrs at the rear of the receiver and some sharp edges in other places.

Be sure you’re ok with the rough fit and finish of the Ruger American before you sink a lot of money into customizing one. They shoot well, but mine had some burrs at the rear of the receiver and some sharp edges in other places.
Nothing a bit of sand paper and/or file can't handle. Or dremel if it's really bad. To me, this kind of stuff seals the bond (like avatar lol).

Certainly no dremel required. As long as you know you’re getting what you pay for, have fun.
Yep, I'm well aware of what to expect. Once I get it all together, a load worked up, and shoot some matches with it I'll report back. I'm on a mission to dispell any myths that 'cheap' actions can't be competitive :D

So bad ass. Any plans on throwing a new prefit on it?

Had one of the first Predator 6.5 Creedmoor rifles (predating the Precision Rifle's introduction)...early adopted MDT's first Ruger American chassis (middle of 2016). Upgraded to an XLT buttstock in 2018 (can't find the photo). Factory barrel prints nice groups with factory Hornady Match and variety of reloads.

Also have a Ruger American Grendel in a Magpul stock (floating around in a thread here somewhere)....

RPR 6.5c v1.jpg

Had one of the first Predator 6.5 Creedmoor rifles (predating the Precision Rifle's introduction)...early adopted MDT's first Ruger American chassis (middle of 2016). Upgraded to an XLT buttstock in 2018 (can't find the photo). Factory barrel prints nice groups with factory Hornady Match and variety of reloads.

Also have a Ruger American Grendel in a Magpul stock (floating around in a thread here somewhere)....

View attachment 7306720
Very nice. Back when the RPR came out, I was torn between it and the Predator. Had I known there would be so much aftermarket support, I would have jumped on it. Oh well, now I'll just have both ;)

Reactions: Widowmaker0001
Yep, I'm well aware of what to expect. Once I get it all together, a load worked up, and shoot some matches with it I'll report back. I'm on a mission to dispell any myths that 'cheap' actions can't be competitive :D

So bad ass. Any plans on throwing a new prefit on it?

I will when I shoot out the factory barrel, I'm around 400 rounds through it so it'll be a while. Not going to mess with something that works, at the stage I'm at the barrel money is much better spent on ammo.

I now have just shy of $300 worth of upgrades from Anarchy Outdoors, but my RAP had a shipping label created Monday and still hasn't been picked up by the UPS man. Ah well... maybe he only comes on Saturdays or Mondays? Guess we'll find out!

I now have just shy of $300 worth of upgrades from Anarchy Outdoors, but my RAP had a shipping label created Monday and still hasn't been picked up by the UPS man. Ah well... maybe he only comes on Saturdays or Mondays? Guess we'll find out!

Any business selling and shipping firearms is currently multiple days behind shipping orders...sales across all levels of the industry are near all time highs.

Any business selling and shipping firearms is currently multiple days behind shipping orders...sales across all levels of the industry are near all time highs.
Absolutely. One of the local shops has horrible distributors (the few times I've talked to them in depth they were shocked I could regularly buy guns cheaper than they could, including with transfer) so I couldn't bring myself to overpay by $100 AND wait weeks for shipping.

I picked a Gunbroker dealer who had it in hand and didn't have a massive COVID-19 banner on his sales (which I understand, just didn't want to deal with as I'm moving sorta kinda soon and want to wrap up my background check items first). Dealer claimed a day or two ago its been boxed up sitting and waiting for the UPS man, verbatim.

So literally, just waiting for it to move.

Absolutely. One of the local shops has horrible distributors (the few times I've talked to them in depth they were shocked I could regularly buy guns cheaper than they could, including with transfer) so I couldn't bring myself to overpay by $100 AND wait weeks for shipping.

I picked a Gunbroker dealer who had it in hand and didn't have a massive COVID-19 banner on his sales (which I understand, just didn't want to deal with as I'm moving sorta kinda soon and want to wrap up my background check items first). Dealer claimed a day or two ago its been boxed up sitting and waiting for the UPS man, verbatim.

So literally, just waiting for it to move.

Total aside and off on a tangent: When it comes to local retailers...size matters in terms of buying power. The online retailers and dealers working Gunbroker are leveraging online platforms to increase sales volumes. After 20 years in wholesale, I've also noticed that many firearms retailers are not much more than hobbyists (which is fantastic), yet often they lack the entrepreneurial skills and business acumen to succeed long term. Retail is a tough business to operate as a hobby or simply as an enthusiast . There is an entire skill set outside of actual product knowledge that is often missing. There are examples of folks learning and succeeding.

Profit margins are super skinny at all levels of the supply chain...much thinner than other industries. The prevailing attitude is often to simply sell stuff cheaper, often with vain hopes of profit via volume. Online sales, usually out of state, with no sales tax is an immediate competitive advantage worth 5-12% in a great many locations. Throw in free shipping and an online seller often has a hard and fast 15% price advantage over brick and mortar retail. Without the necessity of an FFL and 4473's many gun shops would cease to exist in the age of online retail.

The situation is good and bad, a Catch-22. Amazon is the Sears Catalog of this century. At the foundation, Amazon (and online retail in general) shares much commonality with Sears and other large scale mail order catalog business that operated (and dominated a century ago). I contend that the massive post WW2 market for consumer goods in conjunction with suburbanization and cars built a retail business model that often beat out the mail order model. As technology changed, some entrepreneurs adapted the mail order business to make it faster and cheaper. That's now killing off malls, big box retail, and many independent retail operations. Other factors play into the past 70 or 80 years, but there's likely a graduate school thesis here somewhere for an enterprising business school or history undergrad...heck for all I know there are multiple papers floating around in academia already.

The long running joke in the industry is how do you make a small fortune in the gun business? Start with a large one....

Reactions: rookie7
I have a rap in .308. I put mine in an oryx chassis, added the oryx specific arca rail. The factory trigger is nice enough that I can’t justify the timney just yet.

shot under an moa out of the box with factory ammo. if I’d didn’t have the need to mess with everything it would have been a good hunting rifle from the factory.

Attachments

• 250CE948-32D1-4585-98CA-8E180EF2FF64.jpeg
    250CE948-32D1-4585-98CA-8E180EF2FF64.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 1,586
Reactions: Mosquito
I have a rap in .308. I put mine in an oryx chassis, added the oryx specific arca rail. The factory trigger is nice enough that I can’t justify the timney just yet.

shot under an moa out of the box with factory ammo. if I’d didn’t have the need to mess with everything it would have been a good hunting rifle from the factory.
Did you take the plastic off and paint that yourself? Looks nice thats the only thing about my oryx that i really don't like ... with the budget chassis everyone has the same one

Below is my Ruger American Predator that I built up. Boyds At-One gun stock (bedded), Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44, Ruger Cobra Leather Sling, Magpul Bipod (picatinny rail version), Bravo picatinny rail, fluted bolt from LRI, and a custom swivel stud attach and turret light.

I shot the a little over 1/2 moa at 300 yds with 140 FMJ Tactical Rounds from Sellior and Belloit. It was before the picatinny and light upgrade but hope it shoots the same.

IMG_2979.png
IMG_2874.jpeg