Building a custom AICS AX 338 questions need help

wPAShooter1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
PA, USA
I am wanting to build a 338 LM on a AICS AX chassis and was wanting to use a Surgeon action and a 30 inch Lilja Barrel. Can anyone give me their input as to what they think on this setup. I am wating to shoot accuratly out to 1500 yards or further. I am very new to 1000+ yard shooting and i want to do this right the first time and get a really good setup to start. So please be kind and help me if you can. Thanks

Re: Building a custom AICS AX 338 questions need help

I like Lilja. I like the way they make the barrels and how good they are. My smith is the same person it has been for the past 3 years he works on my other rifles and has done some amazing work with them. He is the only one i trust to work on my rifles. And NO i will not be getting the AICS/AX from Sergeon i will be purchasing it from EuroOptics since i know the people there.

Lilja make a good barrel and one of the best for button pulled rifling. Some prefer cut rifling though as you can specify the height of the lands and grooves and also consider a gain twist which helps with torque when using 250g or 300g bullets. Bartlein probably make the best cut rifled barrels and have the best technology for a gain twist. They also use the very best steel but so do Lilja.

Specifying a barrel with a custom bore diameter and a gain twist is a bit "techy" for a first barrel for long range use and a Lilja 30 inch is a fine choice.

The .338 LM is something I would reconsider. At 90 plus grains of powder per round they are a bit prone to fouling and elevation issues if compared to a fast 7mm which will take you comfortably out to a mile ( 1760 yards ) and the 7mm is cheaper to shoot. If you are just starting a 7mm would be my suggestion as the bigger case capacity rounds need a bit of tweaking to match a 7mm until you start looking at going out to 2000 plus yards. It depends perhaps on whether you reload or are looking at factory ammo. The 7mm's which work best at 1500 to a mile are hybrid cases such as a necked up .270 WSM or a necked down 300 WSM or a necked down 8 x68 s which has the shoulders blown out to 30 degrees and is called a 7mm Boo Boo. The 7mm SAUM is a good standard case but gives away around 100 to 150 fps on the hybrid's mentioned.

Barrel life may not be as long on the 7mm as the .338 if that is a consideration. The 7mm's can do 1500 rounds or less sometimes. It depends often on whether you string shoot them and cook the barrel. Used for moderate round counts and without the barrel burning they can go for 2000 rounds.

The .338 is still likely to do a bit more but overall it is likely going to be a harder rifle to group tight on round counts where the number of rounds fired creates fouling issues which cause elevation and ultimately accuracy deterioration. They can work really well though if you just want to shoot 10 to 20 rounds and are prepared to clean them.

This comparison is based on wanting to shoot as tight a group as is possible and regularly enough so that the reloading costs are a noticeable issue.

If you want to go out further than a mile then the .338LM will still be supersonic after the 7mm has ran out of steam.

The AICS AX is a good stock and the Surgeon a good action. Personally for ELR I don't see the need for a mag fed action and prefer a single feed. It is stiffer and enables loading out the bullets further if need be. A mag fed action needs the bullets to be able to feed in the mag and often the most accurate load for a barrel is just too long to feed reliably. One of those "Murphy's Laws" ...

For the price of a Surgeon and needing an action with a Remington floor plate I think BAT do a really good option which is single feed. Might need to check on that though.

A mag fed 7mm though would be quite a versatile rifle for sniping comps and a bit of F Class with the option of doing 1500 yards when you wanted to.

I would really like to stick with the 338 Lapua Mag mostly for the caliber and weight of the bullet plus the distance it will go.

I got a email back from surgeon and sadly they told me that their action will not fit in the AX chassis so that just changes everything... i was really hoping for it to be on the AX chassis.

The Surgeon XL is the action that you need for a 338LM. It will not fit in a standard aics but AI makes one specifically for the XL in CIP length and Surgeon keeps them. Call the shop and ask for Stephen at 405-567-0183 or PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Wade

Will it fit in the AX chassis? I really like the design of the AX chassis. Is there anything they can modify to make the XL action fit in the AX?

Factory ammunition? Even my CIP length AI legacy chassis has become a nice single shot magazine storage device since I want to run the fun pills(300gr Bergers) loaded long.

The Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives (Permanent International Commission for Firearms Testing - commonly abbreviated as C.I.P. or CIP) is an international organisation whose members are 14 states, mainly European.

The C.I.P. safeguards that every civil firearm and all ammunition sold in C.I.P. member states are safe for the users.

The post means that if you build a .338 with a mag feed then like as not the mag length will not be long enough to accommodate new high BC bullets which may need to be seated into the lands and thus loaded long.

Goes back to my point that for ELR a long single feed action may be a better choice because there is nothing harder than trying to hand feed ammo with a mag installed which simply gets in the way ... or more laborious than loading the mag with a single round each time.

Oh wow ok good to know about CIP i never heard of that before but very good to know thanks.

Will the new High BC bullets not work well with the Surgeon XL action? Right now i have no idea how hard it would be to try and load the gun a single round at a time with the longer rounds. How much longer are the newer rounds and how much of a difference does it make compared to normal Lapua rounda or ammo that i would get reloaded as well? And are the new High BC ammo really worth it?

To be honest i have never heard of defiance machine receivers. But i will check them out if you say they are one of the best out there.

I am starting a 338 build and spoke with Stephen last Friday. They are sold out of AICS chassis for the XL excepting the ones that remain for obligated in-house builds already on order. They are not planning on ordering additional legacy AICS models.

He did say that Surgeon is planning to have AI build them XL specific AX chassis, but he could offer no lead time for this.

Right now, I am pondering waiting for the AX model Surgeon, or just saying screw it and use a Stiller in an AICS CIP. However, after a quick call to Russ at Stiller's, it appears TAC 338's are four months out.

I'll second Robert's recommendation on Defiance. They build extremely nice actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wPAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh wow ok good to know about CIP i never heard of that before but very good to know thanks.

Will the new High BC bullets not work well with the Surgeon XL action? Right now i have no idea how hard it would be to try and load the gun a single round at a time with the longer rounds. How much longer are the newer rounds and how much of a difference does it make compared to normal Lapua rounda or ammo that i would get reloaded as well? And are the new High BC ammo really worth it? </div></div>

There is nothing wrong with your first question but it does'nt arise directly from what so far has been said. You advise that you want to use an AX stock. AI is a UK company and therefore controlled by CIP. When you mate an XL action to an AI stock you are obliged to use AI magazines that fit the AI AX stock. The expression often used in a rifle build is "the bottom metal". It refers to the fittings needed for the magazine.If for example you were using a McMillan stock which needed machining out to the mag system of your choice then there would be greater variety of what sort of magazine you could go for. With AI you have to use their magazines. CIP will set a "standard length" for a magazine based on the industry standard length associated with Lapua's .338 LM ammo. The round originated again in Europe and is CIP regulated. Think of CIP as similar to the US SAMMI regulations on chamber dimensions/case lengths etc.

The poster above helpfully said that using the new Berger 300g .338 bullet his were seated too far out to fit in the CIP mag AI uses. As technology changes on bullet design and they have a longer OAL this islikely to happen.

As to whether the length of the XL action is long enough for these rounds there is less of an issue here as loading a round which could potentially in it's loaded OAL be longer than the ejection port can still be done if hand loaded. You feed it in tip first then square it up to the bolt. Unloading a round of this length can also be done but requires the bolt release to be clicked to pull the bolt back further so the bullet clears the ejection port. The ejector on the bolt will then ping it slightly at an angle to get easy purchase on the bullet tip. So the length of the XL action won't be a problem save that on many stocks using a cheek piece the extra distance needed to pull the bolt back may need the removal of the cheek piece. The AX stock has quite a good design in this respect as the cheek piece is comparatively small in length compared to many and may have adequate clearance. It is a point well worth checking though as re-setting the cheek piece is a bit of a PITA if it alwas has to be done. Personally I prefer a custom stock which can take a magnetic cheek pice system like that done by Alan Warner. This pulls out easily and when re-fitted retains the height setting. Others have to be manually re-tightened up and unless you tape the pillars of the cheek piece to retain the setting ( an easy fix ) you have to start again setting the height up.

The main stream manufacturer's bullets such as Sierra and Berger are definately "worth it" ... new design's there are likely to be "standard fare" for ELR use. Custom hybrid designs may need a new barrel with a different twist and even then may well be an unknown commodity as to people getting good results. There is a good thread on here regarding testing to check these type of bullets out ... well worth a read.

If I were in your position as being a new comer to all of this I would consider whether the mag feed systems are going to serve you well? You have already heard one poster say the AI .338 mag is a little short for the 300g Bergers in his set up.

As to "difficulty" in single feeding on a mag system ...so long as the mag does'nt have a bolt stop feature it is'nt too bad ... something you can develop a "knack" for. After a while it can work fine ... but it is fiddly and if you develop a load using light neck tension and then get a mis feed you are likely to sink the bullet way back into the case if the tip has snagged due to the mag causing the bullet to point at an unintended angle.

A single feed action lines up the bullet perfectly and is infinitely more reliable.

ok so would it be better to go with a McMillan ADJ A3-5 and use the Surgeon Action instead on it because that is the other stock i was thinking about before i found the AX series.

I did call Stephen at lunch and he did say that they will be recieving some new AI AX chassis in soon within the next few weeks to a couple months at the latest.

If i go with the AICS/AX and your saying about it not working very well with the new bullets then why bother to get it if it wont work that good with the new ammo that will be coming out. Why start out with a system that is already known to have a issue from the start..

I wont lie i do like the "IDEA" of having a Mag so i dont have to take extra time to put in another round and if i need to get another shot on the target then i will be able to faster then having to do them 1 at a time.

Like i said before i want to do this right from the start i dont want to get a system and spend all the money on everything if it isnt going to work out to the best possible for me. So once again i want to say thank you everyone so far for all the help on this project. From the looks of it it is going to be a very long build filled with a lot of research....

As far as scopes and the MOA needed that is going to be another long hard decision that i will have to make as well....

But even if i cant use the AICS/AX i will still be happy with a McMillan stock i have heard they are suppose to be very good as well.

Would it be a better bet to use a McMIllan stock with a Surgeon XL action then for the new ammo that will be coming out??

Hi Dave,

Hope all is well with you and your family. If you get the chance to come over to see Jacko and Dunn'y let me know. It would be nice to see you and have a beer or two ...

WPA,

Dave does a lot of work with AI on their .338 barrels and is much more knowledgeable on this than I am.

Interpreting what Dave has said for you ... the AICS AX stock is just being done with the mags designed to fit with a Remmy short or long action. The CIP mags used by AI in their AX ( which are slightly longer I believe than the other mags but would welcome confirmation on this ) are'nt offered yet and it may be that they do not get offered.

Your question regarding using the McMillan stock needs to be factored with whether there is an action available which takes a mag which is longer than a .338 AI CIP mag and able to feed .338 LM. This is out of my "zone" of knowledge as other than AI which I have a resonable bit of contact with ... other mag feed systems available in the USA which can do this are an "unknown".

I doubt the mag's available for a Surgeon XL are going to be longer than the AI CIP mag. I believe that was the point the earlier poster was making.

It may be that there are makers who use a modular chassis for a number of different calibres and can supply longer .338 mags if the .338 that they do is on the same chassis as say their .375 CT or .408 CT platforms.

EDM would be a good place to make enquiries with.

I would be suprised though if an action as big as that needed for these rounds was offered in .338 LM. The idea behind this calibre was to offer a long range system with a reasonable "man portable" weight to a rifle and usually there is a deliberate difference in size of actions so that the weight of the .338 LM is a "lighter rifle".

For portability and weight in the same vane as the mag feed .338 LM actions which take a mag ... but can still do the longer more advanced .338 bullets ... this was why I was suggesting single feed actions such as a BAT. The points you make about follow up shots ... and speed ... you have more than ample time to take a quick shot using these at ELR as the bullet flight is in "seconds" and it is easy to pick up a round and have it ready to load whilst watching for the strike. ELR shots are "composed" IMO and it is not like fast tactical shooting. Your "principles of marksmanship" are so vital that a snatched trigger will have you missing the metal target by quite a long margin if you rush the shot.

Anyway ... I think I have helped about all I can ... if a mag system is what you want and it needs to be longer than an AI CIP mag ... you need someone more knowledgeable on these than I am.

I wanted to say thanks for all the help on this so far you all have given me a lot to think about thats for sure..

You said about EDM?? I have never heard of that company before which isnt a shock since i am still new to all this but i will for sure check them out if you say it is worth checking out.

Once again thanks for the info and if you can help with anything else please let me know thanks..