• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report Bullet stability and real down range results

bwahl

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2018
Bismarck, ND
I have a 1 in 10 bergara that ive begun load dev for and even though my twist isn't tight enough...I wanted to try the 95 tmk (calls for a 1 in 9). I've seen one decent 1/2 min 5 shot group at 100... But thats 1 out of 9. Most everything was around a min, some had a flier and if you take out the flier almost everything was under 3/4 min. My good group was with 41 gr of 4350 and 80 thou from the lands(limited by mag length). My speed node is 41.3 to 41.6 gr. Today the 41 gr shot pretty average (maybe it was me) but Temps were about 20 degree higher than the first time I shot 42 gr. 41.3 was the winner today.

Everything I'm reading about bullet stability says I may see good groups but I'm not utilizing the full Bc and in cold conditions (this will be a Coyote rifle) I actually get really close to being unstable. But how accurate is that and how much weight should give to the numbers on the screen? I'm guessing everyone will say to test it at 600 and see how it groups. Am I better off just shooting the Sierra 85 bthp or 87 vmax because the calculate tells me they will be better for stability?

Your groups should dictate your choice.
I had a 1-9.5 twist and it hated 95 grain tmks. It would stack 87 grain bthps on top of each other. I took the faster, tighter groups. Wind and energy wasn’t that much different being I could shove the 87 faster.