Bullets for Coyote blasting

Downzero

-
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2006
    NM
    My friend has a "pest" problem. I need to load to take care of it for him. I'm thinking of using my 16" AR (but it doesn't have a scope yet) so I'd like some .308 loads as well (because I already have a decent scope for that).

My AR has a 1 in 7 barrel. He claims 300 yards and under is the target. Right now, all I have around are 55 and 62 grain bullets. Will these humanely kill coyotes or would another bullet perform better ballistically and/or terminally?

I'm assuming for such a small animal inside of 300 yards, it might not matter that much, but if there's something that'll shoot flatter, I'm all ears.

Otherwise it's Matchkings or Scenars for me...

Re: Bullets for Coyote blasting

The bullets listed will do fine. For coyotes any frangible bullet traveling at a good speed will work. I killed lots of coyotes for many years using the 223 and a 55 ballistic tip bullet.

All I have right now are FMJs and HPBTs. If I'm going to use some sort of soft point bullet (which I probably will) I'd like a recommendation.

I'm pretty sure a 1 in 7 barrel won't shoot 40 and 50 grain bullets that well, either, so 55s and 62s are what I was thinking.

What do you guys think?

So, Amax? Gameking? Noslers?

What's cheap and hits hard?

Downzero said:
    All I have right now are FMJs and HPBTs. If I'm going to use some sort of soft point bullet (which I probably will) I'd like a recommendation.

I'm pretty sure a 1 in 7 barrel won't shoot 40 and 50 grain bullets that well, either, so 55s and 62s are what I was thinking.

What do you guys think?

So, Amax? Gameking? Noslers?
    What's cheap and hits hard?

(quote)

The 40gr and the 50gr. will shoot out of a 1-7 but they may not make it 100 yds. Spin is too fast.Ask me how I know. I make frangible .223 bullets that make coyotes into hamburger in short order. Sierra makes a 55gr. Hp that is very accurate. I bought some to shoot coyotes and accidentially loaded them for my Service rifle. I won the match. It was just a 100yd reduced range. Mike

Vmax might come apart on you out of a 1 in 7. I've shot a lot of yotes with 69 gr. SMK, if bullet placement is in the right general area their dead before they hit the ground. Amax would be good, or the Noslers as stated above.

Whatever HBBT's you have will work fine. You are shooting a coyote not an Cape Buffalo. I suspect your friend wants them "gone" dead or wounded they won't be coming back. Hit a coyote anywhere in the vitals and he is dead and that goes for the FMJ's as well. He may run off but they just don't live with holes in vital organs. In a perfect world I shoot 50/55/even 40 grain Nosler ballistic tips. I have never lost a coyote with any bullet that was placed properly. There is no bullet that makes up for a bad hit. The Sierra 52 and 53 gr HPBTM, Hornady A-max, it doesn't matter. Hit them square and they are dead. Shoot them to far back and you will be glad you have the AR to make up for the bad shot placement as he is running away poorly hit.
    Shoot them as long as they are moving. Best advice I can give you. I have seen dead coyotes that got away for lack of another shot. Jeff

Well I'm not going to cause unnecessary suffering to an animal regardless, so I wanted to know how "tough" they were so I knew what bullet to use.

Looks like the V-Max and Nosler Ballistic tip are the way to go from watching some vids and doing some reading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperXJeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Shoot them as long as they are moving. Best advice I can give you. I have seen dead coyotes that got away for lack of another shot. Jeff </div></div>

Well said!

That is not what I was trying to say. Shot placement is more important then what bullet you use. Any shot in the vitals will give you a dead coyote. As for suffering.... Well... when you have seen 8 wounded sheep 8 0r 10 dead lambs and a couple of dead sheep that were used for nothing but too teach their pups how to kill, It tends to color your perspective on the end result. The ranchers I work with want them gone and a wounded coyote is as good as a dead one when they are costing you 300 or 400 a night in lambs. We would all prefer a clean 1 shot kill.

I don't know what coyotes kill where you live but here in the west the impact can be the diffrence between profit and loss for a rancher. Jeff

They kill everything here, including goats, sheep, domestic dogs, etc. That's why he's having me come over to take care of them.