Rifle Scopes Burris Xtr III (5.5-30) vs Vortex Razor HD gen II (4.5-27)

Lots of times.

So many times in fact I stopped doing it.

These are pretty similar in every comparison.. The Burris is a brighter optic in every comparison I've made. The colors are a little deeper in the Razor. Blue is a little more blue.. The glass is just a little better in the Burris.

Eyebox is good on both, though I think its a little better edge to edge glass in the Burris. FOV is definitely the strong point of the XTR3.

48oz Razor, 32oz XTR3.

The Gen II Razor is a great optic. It really raised the bar in the PRS world and ushered in great, reliable optics in the 2k price point. Thats why they sold a gazillion of them.. But its become a little dated and its time for a Gen3.

Burris has treated me great as to customer service. I live about 120 miles from Greeley, CO. so the very few problems I have had over a lot of years, I just drop the scope off when I get to Greeley and tell them the problem. Then I go to my Brother's tire store in town and hang out for a couple of hours.
After a couple of hours I stop back by Burris and they give me back my repaired scope or a new one.
They have always been very forthcoming as to what went wrong and it is usually my fault, I dropped the damn thing or knocked it really hard when hunting or something like that.
I had one time where some chingadero or another failed inside the scope and they were very forthcoming that it was a failure on their part. No bullshitting around.
Since Burris is local to me I have used nothing other than their scopes since 1979 and I treat them rough on occasion but they hang in there for me.

Maybe I am a Burris fan? I am sure there is better out there for more $$$$, but I can get along with what they offer.

I don't think you can go wrong with Burris.

I have used both scopes and like them. I feel the glass is a little better in the xtr3. I prefer the ebr7c to the scr2. I run an AMG on my comp gun. The AMG controls ca very well. There is a very small amount of ca with the xtr3. It is way less than most other optics in this price range. After using the AMG for a few thousand rounds even a little ca bothers me. I have used the xtr3 in several matches and don't really notice the ca at the normal 12-18x I shoot at during matches. I notice it a ton when shooting on 25-30x to zero. If I wasn't so accustomed to the ebr7b I would have no issue at all running the xtr3 as my main comp scope.

For what I prefer to see the xtr3 has the more desirable glass over the gen 2 razor. It is brighter and the colors are better on every spectrum except blue. The resolution is noticeably better in my xtr3 than most of the razor gen 2s i have looked through. I have not looked through a lot of xtr3s. I have looked through several gen 2 razors and several AMGs. All of the AMGs have had very good glass and there hasn't been a noticeable difference from one to the other. The gen 2 seems to suffer a fair bit from sample variation as some have had good glass and some have been sent back because the glass in my 4-20 xtr2 was better at cutting mirage at 1100 yds with the two scopes setting side by side. That scope came back as within spec.

I have used the warranty department at both Burris and Vortex. Burris is good enough. I have ZERO complaints. Vortex goes far above and beyond anything I would expect.

I have tried to lay out my experience with the two scopes in question. Honestly, if I had no prior experience with either reticle, I would choose the xtr3. I run the AMG because the glass is barely better than the xtr3 and I am used to the reticle.